Chad

What other hobbies ?

Im a foodie :-P

I've been wanting to get back into flying.. but that's even more expensive than guns :-P

I learned in a Cessna 150/152 then moved up to a 172 and finally bought 1/3 into a Cherokee 140 with a 160 HP overhaul. Got my VFR and 200 hrs under the hood and was ready to get my IFR . My partner passed away and i could no longer afford it... I really miss flying!! The kids miss it as well.

However, the hobby that I continue is my love for music. I play the drums, Bass and guitar.... I have been playing the drums the longest out of the three instruments. In a cover band but the lead guitarist is now touring with a local band revived from the 80's... Lucky dog! Anyway, does anyone play lead guitar and looking to play in a cover band? Tom Petty, Beatles, STP, Oasis, etc.

Also, I love softball, fishing, hiking, rebuilding computers, etc... anything outdoors I guess.

Sadly, my new "hobby" is calling Congressmen, Senators, going to te parties and Town Halls to help protect our FREEDOM!! Without our freedom, none of these hobbies will be hobbies....

Nice.. I took a few lessons in a 150 when I was about 12.. then when I graduated high school.. went down to Florida/ Embry Riddle for a year.. decided to go through a FBO instead (2 different ones actually).. flew pretty much BRAND NEW 172's all the time. A 182 Glass Cockpit a few times, and got Multi-Engine in a Dutchess from 1969. That was my favorite plane. We flew that bitch all over Florida :-P Money ran out and I decided to get a degree for a "real" job.

It's (was) much easier to fly down there.. an airport every couple miles it seemed. I inquired with an FBO up here and last I heard they closed up shop. Most of their planes didn't even have annuals. They never returned my call so I guess it's possible.

I got my "Your too fat, but otherwise OK" Medical back.. so I just need cash now :-P

downloaded_5FDSC_5F0139s.JPG

downloaded_5FDSC_5F0134s.JPG

You didn't see the case of oil sitting in the back

For weight and balance? LOL...

I never flew a twin....seemed like everything is double, including price to operate. :lol:

That is a cool plane, though. The video was pretty funny as well. Did he make the fuel too lean or something? Or was he on his check ride and the instructor pulled a fast one? Boy oh boy do I miss flying... I have to get back into it after my kids are done college in about 8 years. i miss those early morning and twilight flights in the late spring.... talk about soothing to the soul!

You didn't see the case of oil sitting in the back

For weight and balance? LOL...

I never flew a twin....seemed like everything is double, including price to operate. :lol:

That is a cool plane, though. The video was pretty funny as well. Did he make the fuel too lean or something? Or was he on his check ride and the instructor pulled a fast one? Boy oh boy do I miss flying... I have to get back into it after my kids are done college in about 8 years. i miss those early morning and twilight flights in the late spring.... talk about soothing to the soul!

I miss it too.. Now don't get me wrong.. I'm far from any sort of expert and I'm 5 or 6 years out of being current.. but .. one great thing about is a twin is that once your used to flying a twin.. going back to a single engine fixed pitch is like taking a walk in the park. You always have to be 1 step ahead of the plane.. but in the twin.. you need to be two steps.. going back to the single.. you are three steps ahead :-P.. I went back to take a few touch and goes for night currency and reaching the the gear lever surprises yourself when there is no gear lever :-P.

I'm not 100% sure in the video.. but I believe the instructor said "NOO!!" because he went to securing the engine before troubleshooting it. I'd have to pull my checklists out to be sure

Update on my tank:

Everything cycled fine, added a few corals and some more fish both are growing at a steady pace. Changed my filter setup to a sump/refugium so there is no mechanical filtration (besides a pump to create the flow) it is its own eco-system. There is a second tank in the cabinet underneath the main tank which has chaetomorpha and ulva lettuce (both microbial algaes that absorb harmful nitrates) , live sand from fiji, and rocks from the sea floor of fiji, the water flowing thru that refugium is all my natural filtration.

Reef143.jpg

Six Line Japanese Wrasse (Pseudocheilinus hexataenia)

Reef137.jpg

Toadstool Coral

Reef135.jpg

Green Sinularia Coral and my Flame Fin Tang

Reef114.jpg

Green Star Polyps

Reef099.jpg

Zoanthid Polyps

Reef103.jpg

Glowing at night

Reef148.jpg

Mushroom Colony

Reef129.jpg

Chad, I counted 7 lines on that fish? That tank is beautiful!

Thanks guys, its coming along, but still has a long way to go, really gotta take things slow in this hobby, only bad things happen fast in a reef tank. If I add things too quick it will throw the bioload off and kill everything in the tank, including the live coral. It will get much nicer as things progress.

hahaha I have no idea why they call it a six-line...It grows lines as it gets bigger. Maybe when its born they have six?? lol who knows.

My other hobbies are watches...

NJ609:

If you're into high-end watches this may not interest you. But, if you're just into neat watches, this whole concept of a boutique watch company - in the USA, no less - is really cool. I bought an M9 from them and it's great. If you pre-order (2010 listing will be posted in March - check their forum for previews of the 2010 line) you save about $200 per watch. Great to deal with. Enjoy.

http://www.lum-tec.com/

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Chad, saltwater tanks are beautiful. Feel free to post pics any time!

My other hobbies are watches, making my own beer, and cars. Too cold for cars right now so I'm just making batches of brew indoors!

Thanks, I'll add some more photos as things progress....what kind of watches? I'm into them as well....for xmas this year I got myself a Cartier Roadster w62025v3 and a Patek Philippe Gondolo Caliber (my current fav.) I'll post some photos when I get home. Do you use watch winders?

Looks great Chad, and good decision to go with the fuge! Now come fix my tank. :pray:

Yeah, the fuge was a must...I'll help you out, what is wrong with your tank? besides your laziness of course??? :lol::lol:

Egyptology. I know it sounds lame but it is really a fascinating field of study. After I retire I plan to go to Egypt to see the Great Pyramid at Giza and actually touch the Sphinx.

Egyptology is pretty amazing, I agree... then of course I'm studying to become a cultural anthropologist/archeologist :dance: . My only gripe with Egyptology is that its been studied from almost every angle... "all the maps have been filled in" of sorts. Still, pretty awesome field to read in to. You probably have already explored these, but the Met has a pretty good collection. The Louvre is pretty in-depth, and of course the Museum of Egyptian Antiquities in Cairo (and many others).

I guess that leads to my hobby of reading/studying/"scholaring" ancient civ. I focus on the cultural aspect versus the historical, though they commonly intertwine. One of my favorite sub-sections of the field is definitely mythology; this includes epics, poems, Creation/Apocalyptic stories, etc... pretty fascinating and amazing material. Easily one of my favorite writers of the field in general is Joseph Campbell, though if I feel like going outside the box Zecharia Sitchin is interesting. Though, I do enjoy reading all sorts of "mythology," to include TH White, Bradbury, numerous comics, and classics from all sorts of cultures (Greek/Roman, Indian, Native American, Russian, etc).

And I guess to be more "normal," I invest a lot of time into gaming! I use to be pretty involved with the gaming community, though at the competitive level, and not development (I failed computer programming basics in high school years ago, lets put it that way). I was an administrator for CAL-cs division (Cyberathlete Amateur League), did some minor work for CPL as well. Also did some management work on the side for an online gaming team, zEx, and still keep in touch with some of the people. Fortunately that was awhile ago, and now gaming is more of a casual thing... just some xbox and ps3 here and there, some pc gaming (real men play on the pc), etc. Once I did the real bang-bang, it kind of took the novelty out of gaming, ha.

Looks great Chad, and good decision to go with the fuge! Now come fix my tank. :pray:

Yeah, the fuge was a must...I'll help you out, what is wrong with your tank? besides your laziness of course??? :lol::lol:

It's freshwater, I'm probably the only idiot that can screw one up :lol: Aside from my laziness there's algae taking over, but i'm told it's because I don't have much of a bio-load. Last batch of fish kicked the bucket but all my levels are ok.

If you're into high-end watches this may not interest you. But, if you're just into neat watches, this whole concept of a boutique watch company - in the USA, no less - is really cool.

Thanks, I'll add some more photos as things progress....what kind of watches? I'm into them as well....for xmas this year I got myself a Cartier Roadster w62025v3 and a Patek Philippe Gondolo Caliber (my current fav.) I'll post some photos when I get home. Do you use watch winders?

I find a lot of gun folks are into watches too for some reason! :)

Well, it's not about price, it's about what you like! For many reasons my favorite is my Submariner I picked up on my honeymoon in Hawaii, but my Seiko Automatic that was a fraction of the cost gets just as much wrist time.

Bob, I took a look at that site, great stuff!

Next watch goes to the wife, but I'm pondering either a new DJ II or if I'm feeling saucy a watch from this brand: http://www.ballwatch.com/index.php?option=com_main〈=en_US (Some of the most amazing lume I've ever seen!!!)

All many years away though, too many firearms to buy first. :lol:

It's freshwater, I'm probably the only idiot that can screw one up :lol: Aside from my laziness there's algae taking over, but i'm told it's because I don't have much of a bio-load. Last batch of fish kicked the bucket but all my levels are ok.

All tanks will go thru an algea bloom at one time or another....how long has it been up and running? How often do you do water changes? Do you have a clean up crew (snails / ghost shrimp / otocinclus)? What kind of a filter do u use? Hang on or canister? Do you use RO or tap water?

I'm digging into my freshwater memory bank from many moons ago so bear with me. lol its completely different than a reef tank.

1. Make sure the tank does not have exposure to the sun. Do not leave the lights on for more than 8 hours a day or so. Light = Algae.

2. Take out any ornaments and scrub them.

3. Do monthly water changes of 30% use a gravel vacuum.

4. Don't over feed, any food that is not eaten and sinks to the bottom which is rich in nutrience that will "feed" the algae. Also, if you over feed the fish they will produce more waste which can work as a fertilizer for algae.

if none of that works you can try a algae fighting chemical.