Sleeper

Beyond Hope

Hello,

I'm new to the forum and new to gun ownership in NJ. Although I used to own guns and shoot quite a bit when I lived in AZ.

I currently live in Hope Township, NJ. Hence the title of my post. I am currently shopping for 2 guns, an AR and a 357 revolver. I have visited Simon and Peter in Newton, and Ramsey in Ledgewood so far. Any recomendations on good shops in my geography let me know. I like to support the local shops. I will also be looking for a good range shoot as soon as I make the purchases.

Thanks,

Greg

Greg,

Welcome to the group.

Try Silver Bullet in Rockaway, Hackettstown Guns and Ammo in H...town and Skylands Sports in Newton.

Silver Bullet is a bit pricey, but Frank will negotiate if he's in a good mood. He has the largest selection in the area. The guys at Simon Peter are great to deal with. They treat everyone like a lifetime customer. The shop in Newton is new, so I don't know too much about them. Never bought anything a HG&A, but I've browsed there and it seems like a nice shop.

Looking for anything specific?

Ken

Thanks Everyone.

I forgot about Hack Guns and Ammo. I drive by it almost every day but it is easy to miss.

I like the S&W 686 but will probably settle for a GP100 because of $$$

I thought I was going to just pick up a mini-14, I use to own one back in the day and it was a fun gun. Then someone suggested an AR and the maddness started.

I'm trying to figure out the whole AR world right now feeling a litttle overwelmed.

I just want a solid quality platform to build on. I plan on adding a 6.8 upper down the road.

I checked out a M&P 15orc at S&P. They want $995 for it. I would have to buy sights or optics too since it doesn't come with any. I would like to spend $1000 or less for the AR.

Greg

Welcome to the forum Greg. Check out Stag Model 1. Great rifle with removable carry handle/iron sights. Could always remove the handle for an optic later if you want. Should be able to get it under $1000 no problem.

I have put about 1000 rounds through mine without a single hiccup.

Good luck.

Welcome. I just got back early this AM from the Phoenix area (Apache Jct.) was 76 degrees and sunny when Ieft there :(

Was there for wife doing the Lost Dutchman Marathon, just for 2 1/2 days, so didn't make it to the Cabela's in Glendale, was too far away to sneak out.

OTOH, we did take the kiddies to Goldfield, a touristy ghost town not too far away from where we were staying, they enjoyed it and we got the obligatory fake sepia dress up cowboy pic.

FWIW I was born in Mesa, and have spent a fair amt of time over the years at Ft. Huachuca SE of Tucson, and would LOVE to move back there permanently, though probably Prescott or Flagstaff.

Try Jim Flynn on Rte 31 in Glen Gardener. Jim has his FFL on the premises of his truck repair business so you can buy guns and get your Peterbilt serviced at the same time. He doesn't have a large inventory but can get you what you want at good prices.

Yea, I was at Ft We-Gotcha (Huachuca) for training.

bbk, I spent some time at Fort Huachuca. Used to go to the gun club shoots on weekends and joined the Cochise Gun Club in Tombstone while I was there. I generally preferred to go to the Gun Club and have a couple of beers with John (the retired Warrant that ran the club) at teh end of the day. Before anyone gets excited there was no handling of firearms just beers and swapping war stories (John had a lot more than I).

You can always tell a good war story because it starts out "this ain't no sh___".

I also spent two years living at Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument which is by Lukeville in the middle of nowhere. On your way there the sign says "Hell, 10 miles, Lukeville 20". If I had to live in AZ I'd pick Sierra Vista. Tucson and Phoenix have got too built up.

Thanks for all the great gun shop info.

I lived in in Tucson for 6 years. 3 in the USAF at Davis Monthan and 3 as a civilian.

Some great times. Then a job took me to Texas and then to Jersey.

I would love to live in Northern AZ around Flag. Maybe some day.

Now my AR quest continues....

Greg