GoNRA

First Gun Buying Experience

XD40SC from Cheyenne Mtn. last March if I remember correctly. I had my eye on a Springfield XD for awhile, having discussed it with the guys (when it was still Harry's)-- though I want to say I was thinking long term getting a 'Sub Compact'. Great group of guys there at Cheyenne, and made my first purchase very smooth. Also helped me out with suggestions for cleaning items, and other shooting supplies I might need.

It was then, when I purchased my shinny new Marlin Model 7000 .22lr.

I had no idea Marlin made legs, no less shins! :roll:

lmao SHFU Daniel!!!! I 'musta' double tapped the n n nn nnnnn nnnn n n nnnn it happens ;)

For your information they do make shins...they are an extra $50.00 each, I did not want to spend the extra money at the time. :roll:

Got my first gun from Brick Armory in October of 2009. I went in and looked at a used CZ75b 40cal. I paid for it and went home to wait for my permits. a week later my permits came in and I went to pick the gun up...Long story short. I went home with a brand new CZ75b SA in 9mm. My first rifle was a Springfield Model 15 that tbtrout sold me at an excellent price. :)

The big question is how many of you still have your first gun?

I have my first, and all the subsequent guns as well. Granted, only been at this a year. I don't believe in selling guns.

Yeah, until you get a lemon! Or it just doesn't fit you. Or maybe buyers remorse.

You're right - i've been lucky and, knock on wood, no lemons so far. But if I got a lemon, I doubt I'd sell it either. I'd probably try to get it fixed. Even if I bought a gun I ended up not liking, I can't see myself selling it. I'd just leave it in the back of the safe. When the zombies come, I could always give it to some unfortunate sod who didn't have the foresight to prepare a little ;)

ETA: The one gun I kinda sorta regret buying is the Saiga 5.45. Not because I dislike the gun.. I like it a lot. But I can't find mags for it! Not even stock 10 rounders! What good is a gun with 1 mag? bah!

Got my first gun from The Bullet Hole. They were great. Found a used Beretta 92fs Vertec (near perfect). They held for me for 3 months while I waited for my FID and pistol permits. And it came with 8 mags and at a great price. Great gun and will never part with it.

Taurus 1911 paid cash at Meltzers in Garfield. I was shaking the whole time I was signing the papers. Transaction went smooth but wasn't happy about the price. lol walked outside and realized I had a weapon that could kill and was scared shitless lol

Really awesome story, and quite similar to the feeling I had with 22. =)

And yes, still have my first handgun purchased. I do not however have the first rifle purchased.... Walther G22.

My first was for a Ruger 10/22 in at a sporting goods store in Tucson, AZ sometime around 1980. I really can't remember the transaction. Back then in AZ buying a gun was no more complicated than buying milk.

My first NJ purchase was a few weeks ago at Jim Flynn's truck repair in Glen Gardner. Good buying experience. I walked in and told Jim what I was looking for in an AR. He told me what he had and I told him I wanted to see the Stag model 8. I asked him the price, sold. The only hickup is Jim doesn't like cards. Cash or checks only. I didn't have a grand in my pocket so I had to come back the next day to pick it up. Not your typical gun shop. But nice people and great prices.

A very Warren County experience. ;)

My first hangun...I went to a gun show in Canton Ohio. Saw a guy who had a Ruger Mark II I wanted so I gave him money, he gave me the gun, I went home. He was just a guy, not a dealer. 100% legal since I was an Ohio resident at the time. Total time including the drive and walking around the show, about 3 hours.

I still have the gun. That was in 92 or 93. I don't recall.

First handgun in NJ.

First I spent a few months researching the FID process.

I posted messages on boards trying to figure out the process.

I finally did the paperwork, went to the PD, got fingerprinted.

I waited 103 days for my FPID and pistol permit. I then went to Meltzers. I wanted the HK P30. They were out of stock. Put one on order, waited another 5 weeks.

Total time roughly 200 days.

NJ sucks donkey balls.

My experiences was similar, Malsua. I waited from mid December until March for my FID/PP, and then had to wait some more weeks because things were on order (this was before I knew of the forum, and right during the flurry of gun binge buying/price gouging recently)... so, my wait was 150 or so. While I was in CO, and in the service, I asked what the process was to get a handgun there (at a Gander Mtn if I remember correctly). They said just to bring copies of my orders, verified by my commander (just my orders initialed), and I could purchase right there. I don't know of the legality (haha), but the guy looked shocked when I asked if there was any sort of regulatory paperwork that had to be done.

I started going to the pistol range with a friend who was working as a gov't IT contractor and being routinely sent to various places in the middle east to set up infrastructure. As part of his job, he was to receive firearms training so he wanted to buy a gun of his own to practice with. We went to the range for a few months and rented various stuff and he settled on a G17. I enjoyed shooting with him and so I decided to pursue my FOID and get some permits myself. At time time (And boy did i end up wrong) i thought i would just get 1 or 2 pistols to play with. I decided i would make it count the first time and spend the money to get something that was accurate and a good shooter as the idea of practical shooting appealed to me. I settled on a CZ75 SP01 custom from Angus Hobdell's shop and still have it to this day. Love that gun, its really a sweet shooter, very accurate and feels great in the hands. Over time i found myself with a bit more than 1 or 2 guns and still enjoying the sport more than ever.

Taurus 1911 paid cash at Meltzers in Garfield. I was shaking the whole time I was signing the papers. Transaction went smooth but wasn't happy about the price. lol walked outside and realized I had a weapon that could kill and was scared shitless lol

Nothing wrong with starting out scared, I think it helps you be respectful of the power of these things in the long run!

I wasn't scared of the XD, having grown up with firearms, but I did feel like a criminal. Our NJ laws are horrible and make you worry constantly when you first get into the handgun aspect of our hobby!

I did not load my G26 until John Fox took me to his range to shoot a handgun for the 1st time.

Shortly thereafter, I took my 2 day NRA pistol course.

Bought a SIG P226 (no surprise) from Gene Salomon for a first gun. Imagine the horror if he had talked me into a Beretta 92FS instead! :o;)

The transaction went very smoothly once I understood Gene prefers cash to an American Express card. :naughty:

P226R-detail-L.jpg

IIRC, I shot it for the first time at Shore Shot. It functioned beautifully...although I had a lot to learn about proper grip, sight alignment, and trigger pull. I wasn't nervous because I had rented a few handguns at the range before purchasing my Swiss Miss.

--Daniel