jermz1987

For anyone who thinks the 22lr isnt Deadly.

This may be a bit off topic, but does anyone else get pretty heated when watching an episode of Gangland on History Channel? Great material, but it makes me sick that society lets this intimidation by gangs continue.

this type of story really illustrates the problem with our legal system.. here you have a piece of scum.. that is TOTALLY worthless.. PROUD to kill and hurt the people who put their lives on the line every day to protect us.. the POS is caught and what to we do? we spend THOUSANDS clothing him.. housing him.. feeding him.. and giving him a trial.. and are PROBABLY even paying to defend him... the truth of the matter is justice could be FAR simpler served from the branch of a sturdy tree with a decently strong length of rope... im all for due process, and a fair trial.. but stuff like this should not take that long..

Isnt .22 a fav of the mafia hitman.

Yes, at close range it enters the the skull cavity, loses momentum and just bounces around inside making scrambled eggs out of the brain. At least that is what I have been told.

You were told that by Steve Martin in a movie, and it's silly :D

Yes, at close range it enters the the skull cavity, loses momentum and just bounces around inside making scrambled eggs out of the brain. At least that is what I have been told.

But it was a great movie.

:D

I am unfamiliar with that movie and yet I've heard the same thing.

The issue is that a .22 will not penetrate the skull in most places. A .22 will often just follow under the scalp around the skull.

If shot in the eyeball or nasal cavity, it will enter the brain case go through the brain matter, hit bone and ricochet off the inside of the skull at some angle at least once, perhaps more.

I don't understand how this is "silly"

Navy seals used to use internally suppressed Ruger Mark IIs .22s as their mission weapon for a number of years. Instant lights out in the head would be the only reason this would make sense as a .22 elsewhere isn't very deadly.(it can be, as evidenced by this thread, it's just not a guarantee)

I am unfamiliar with that movie and yet I've heard the same thing.

The issue is that a .22 will not penetrate the skull in most places. A .22 will often just follow under the scalp around the skull.

If shot in the eyeball or nasal cavity, it will enter the brain case go through the brain matter, hit bone and ricochet off the inside of the skull at some angle at least once, perhaps more.

I don't understand how this is "silly"

Navy seals used to use internally suppressed Ruger Mark IIs .22s as their mission weapon for a number of years. Instant lights out in the head would be the only reason this would make sense as a .22 elsewhere isn't very deadly.(it can be, as evidenced by this thread, it's just not a guarantee)

The source for this is a movie. A .22 may bounce off the back of a skull. It is not going to bounce around inside the skull, changing directions several times. That is silly. Bullets never do that in any medium. Whenever a bullet bounces off something it looses most energy. Unless the angle is close to incidence (more or less continuing in the same direction, like a skip). To think it will bounce around inside a skull is silly.

Why was this officer not wearing his vest?

The killing shot pierced his heart, this is a terrible story and shows why LE needs

to always be wearing their kevlar.

didnt even pick up on that.. sad to say but probably preventable..

I was always led to believe .22lr will penetrate a vest, unless it strikes the trauma plate obviously. A .22's size and lack of energy allows it to slip right through the threads of level I and level IIA vests when tested from any gun with a 10" or longer bbl. Who knows, this very well be urban legend. Perhaps this was true with old school Kevlar?

I know I will most likely get chastised for this...so I am looking for documentation as we speak, before everyone asks.

I was always led to believe .22lr will penetrate a vest, unless it strikes the trauma plate obviously. A .22's size and lack of energy allows it to slip right through the threads of level I and level IIA vests when tested from any gun with a 10" or longer bbl. Who knows, this very well be urban legend. Perhaps this was true with old school Kevlar?

I know I will most likely get chastised for this...so I am looking for documentation as we speak, before everyone asks.

I have shot up a number of old Police BP vests with a lot of .22 and no penetration at all, all the way

up to .357 and no penetration. These vests were like 15 years old too. We still have one left to shoot up

when the weather get's nice. When we switched to 7.62x39 and 8mm it shredded them at 50 and 100 yards.

Yes, the 357 will absolutely be stopped by a vest. The theory behind the .22lr is there is a lot of energy, in a small space as opposed to it being spread out and allowing the kinetic energy to be absorbed by the vest. Same reason a knife will penetrate a vest.

Someone told me like this...if I stomp on your bare foot while I'm wearing a boot, the energy is dispersed across the whole heel of the boot and a wider part of your foot is absorbing the energy. Now, if I were to stomp on your foot wearing a high heel woman's shoe, the same amount of pressure and energy would be in a much smaller area, possibly even going through your foot.

Or, the same way you can walk on mud and you will not sink, because the energy is dispersed. If you stick your finger in the mud, it will go right through.

Believe me, I am no expert on any of this stuff...this is all second hand info. I've never done any experiment with regards to this theory.

Believe me, I am no expert on any of this stuff...this is all second hand info. I've never done any experiment with regards to this theory.

Well that is why god invented Youtube, idiots and the internet.

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot15.htm

Next time I hit CJRPC with my brother in law we will take his remaining spare vest test it and I will take pictures.

You also have to take into consideration how others did the test's, NIJ standards of testing are percise for the same reson

you mentioned above as far as distributing energy. They do not lay a vest up against hard wood since anything would penetrate they wrap in soft ballistics gel or something similar to the human body.

I have been looking all over the net at different forums and no one seems to have any real proof as to it will other then

they say it will, there is a lot of proof that it wont from the manufactures of the vests themselves. If a Vietnam error flack

jacked which is not really designed to stop pullets stopped a 22lr round cold then I would be hard pressed to say our modern

body armor would not. However anything is possible he could have got lucky and hit a weak spot but the shock plates tend to be in the mid chest area, my bet was he was just not wearing it which is common believe it or not. I read through a lot of reports on this and none mention it at all.