Matt

How many of you have a light on your home defense gun?

This has been discussed a lot already... but I'll bite because I think its worth mentioning again.

YES, its worth it. Any firearm used for protection should have a light, whether its physically on the firearm or held.

With that said, do some mock training with it so you at least know how to manipulate the light if you had too (no point in having a weapon light if you don't know how it functions). Also, be aware of how to use a weapon light properly. Long story, don't leave the light on and walk around like an idiot... learn basic strobe technique and movements associated.

Yes Sir! Let there be light in the dark of nite.Wouldnt wanna shoot my daughter tryin to sneak in late one nite-or the dog downstairs roughin stuff up?

Well yes, I keep a flashlight on the nightstand I more mean attached to the gun vs. a flashlight

I personally don't keep a light on my pistol, nor would I. Its a pain in the butt to find a light ready-holster at a decent price (haha), and my primary HD gun is my rifle anyway-- which of course does have a light attached.

With that said, is there any added benefit to having a light on a pistol versus a flash light? Maybe I guess. You would have an extra hand free if need be while still being able to manipulate the light. At the same time, if you use just a flash light, it has far more obvious uses then just being attached to a pistol.

I have the TLR-1 Mounted on my 1911. I don't and wont ever carry that gun, so no need for a holster that will fit it. I would not want to use a hand held flashlight because like bbk said, you have the extra hand for opening doors, calling the police, holding your child behind you back, etc. I would NOT want to fumble around with a flashlight in one hand and a gun in the other, while trying to do any or all of the above things on a normal day, let along in a shtf situation when your adrenaline is pumping. Having a light mounted on a HD gun is an absolute must in my opinion. But like everything else it basically boils down to personal preference.

This comes up often enough, and just about every time, everyone has a different opinion :) I'm one of the "light on the gun" crowd. For me, having it set up that way means there's one less thing I have to fish around for in the dark. It also means I can keep both hands on the gun while still being able to manipulate the light.

But, I also keep a couple hand held flashlights on the night stand as well. The chances of me needing a light in the middle of the night for something random (power outage) are far greater than the chances of me needing a gun because of an intruder. So, no harm in covering all the bases.

Regardless of the method you choose, like BBK said, be sure to do some dry runs in your house. Use the "flash" technique (1/2 second bursts of light). Don't discount using indirect lighting (bouncing the light off one wall to light a different area).

Anyway, here's a pretty good article that covers a lot of low-light topics better than any of us can:

http://pistol-training.com/articles/han ... essentials

Its a pain in the butt to find a light ready-holster at a decent price (haha)

I have to slightly disagree here. A good holster is going to cost a few bux to begin with. But, getting one that is light ready doesn't add much to the price. I like Raven Concealment holsters, so, I'll use them as an example:

Glock Phantom Modular Holster - $74.99

Glock Phantom Light Compatible Holster - $84.99

So, yes, the good holsters themselves are a little pricey, but, getting the light-ready version really isn't too much more. Not so much of an issue since most of us are just gonna grab the gun from the nightstand and not worry about a holster. If we're talking about carry guns, well.. get a nice Raven ;)

Caine makes very good points....I just to add a little bit to what he said about the holster situation. If your HD gun doubles as your CCW gun then you could simply remove the light when you plan on carrying it. It is only secured by a thumb screw type of thing that is easy enough to remove and re-install in a matter of seconds.

My main HD gun is a tactical mossberg 500. To that I fited a $40 combo laser light and since I have a tactical foregrip, I can nudge the light/laser on with my finger while I hold the grip, or nudge it the other way to keep it on.

I do have another $30 light on my 15-2. While it is not my primary HD gun by any means, the light is close enough to the fore grip the nudging my index finger forward pushes the contact to turn it on without much effort.

I no longer have any lights on my Handguns.

Its a pain in the butt to find a light ready-holster at a decent price (haha)

I have to slightly disagree here.

Ha, you're right. I should have added for my personal handgun its almost impossible to find a good light-ready holster (XD40 SC). I know there are two solutions: 1. Use a universal holster or 2. Get a new handgun... which I shall be remedying with the latter once my permits get in probably. Even then though, I probably will not run a light on the handgun. Just my personal preference.

I have the TLR-1 Mounted on my 1911. I don't and wont ever carry that gun, so no need for a holster that will fit it. I would not want to use a hand held flashlight because like bbk said, you have the extra hand for opening doors, calling the police, holding your child behind you back, etc. I would NOT want to fumble around with a flashlight in one hand and a gun in the other, while trying to do any or all of the above things on a normal day, let along in a shtf situation when your adrenaline is pumping. Having a light mounted on a HD gun is an absolute must in my opinion. But like everything else it basically boils down to personal preference.

Yup, +1 on the light. Good post

I dont have a light on my kimber, but I have a flashlight. According to a video if I hear a possible buglary suspect in my house im suppose to have the family stay in a certain room or announce it out loud.. and then say "I am contacting police, and I am armed and willing to defend myself" out loud (perferably while on the phone with the police so they have it recorded incase you need to use deadly force).

So if it is indeed a family member they will know, otherwise there is no need for a light unless the intruder tries to encounter you. I doubt most will if you let them know you are armed.

I have lights all over the house, in almost every room. I don't have one on any guns.

Somebody did bring up a point to me th other day. In a low light or no light situation, the light provides a spot for the burglar to fire upon, rather than blinding them. Different view than I had/ thought for sure.

So if it is indeed a family member they will know, otherwise there is no need for a light unless the intruder tries to encounter you. I doubt most will if you let them know you are armed.

Are you going to shoot in the dark? What if the light switch is on the other side of the room where the intruder is standing? Are you going to ask him to turn it on for you? Rule #1 IDENTIFY THE THREAT.

You can not reason with someone who is high on crack, heroin, sherm sticks, etc....Often times these people are shot, stabbed, sprayed with cap-stun or even beaten, and they feel absolutely nothing. You think simply telling them you have a gun is going to make them go away? I understand half your reason for saying you have a gun and you are going to protect yourself, so it can later be played back in court. The other half, thinking a criminal will simply walk out of your house and leave you and your family alone simply because you tell him / her / them you have a gun is just about as irrational as their breaking into your house in the first place. AND, after telling them you have a gun, what if their reply is, "So do I". Then what?

I may be over simplifying things a bit, but, I tend to not get too caught up in the "why's" of running a light ON the gun. To me it's kind of a freebie, in the sense that I generally don't lose anything by having the light there. If I want to use it, great.. it's there and ready to go. If I don't, and a hand held is more appropriate, then, I'll just grab one and use that.

I should have added for my personal handgun its almost impossible to find a good light-ready holster (XD40 SC).
At the risk of coming across like a fan boy, Raven does make a light compatible holster for the SC :) That said, given the size of the SC, hanging an Surefire X series or TLR-1/2 off the end of might make it awkward. A TLR-3 on the other hand, might just be the ticket. If you ever changed your mind I mean ;)

Just checked it out (should have when you said it initially, ha, my bad), and I'm pretty impressed by the Raven holsters. Definitely a bit pricey, but considering its more then just equipment, it might be worth the investment. Thanks for the bludgeoning of the same information :D

To add, I think Chad is right about the "why." As I stated before, if someone uses a firearm for protection, especially in the homestead with others, a weapon light is a must. As the "fourth rule" states:

Be sure of your target. Know what it is, what is in line with it and what is behind it. Never shoot at anything that you haven't positively identified.

The average user is not trained for low/no light operations, and it would be a tragedy to misidentify a target or put rounds downrange possibly through a backstop that has friendlies behind it simply because they didn't have a light.

This is something I've been ranting about forever now, and its that just having a means of protecting yourself (firearms) does not automatically make someone proficient. Without the proper amount of trigger time and/or hands-on training, a person most likely will be a liability to themselves or the ones they're trying to protect. Its a simple fix too. Get to the range, take a few classes/courses, dry fire, mock training in the household (basic clearing), and reading a book/blog/excerpt on what it might take mentally (http://www.amazon.com/Killing-Psycholog ... 0316330116) in a dire situation.

This is something I've been ranting about forever now, and its that just having a means of protecting yourself (firearms) does not automatically make someone proficient

+100000000000000 (i can't add enough zeros) - and aside from the skills you learn from training, it's just plain old fun!

What is with all this rubbish talk about lights on guns? Who puts a flippin light on a gun these days. Everyone knows the cool thing to do now is have night vision goggles. I have my set on my night stand next to my shotgun. I'm always prepared for the zombies :)