hotshot

State Law Forbids Destroying Seized Weapons

State Law Forbids Destroying Seized Weapons

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

by Tennessee Radio Network

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A newly signed gun law makes it illegal for agencies like the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation to destroy weapons collected in the evidence room.

The law will forbid the destruction of weapons, and strongly encourage agencies to auction or sell the guns.

The new measure goes into effect April 12th.

If im not mistaken Federal Law forbids it also, There were quite a few things there were put into a bill that was rushed through legislation... you can read about it in the lastest American Riflemen issue.

Rider Passed Protecting Military Firearms, Ammunition, and Components

With the holiday season upon us, and the end of the year fast approaching, the U.S. House of Representatives passed H.R. 3326

What does the federal gov't. do with civilian arms and ammo seized during drug busts, etc.? Do they melt them down, or are they transferred to auction houses or otherwise recirculated?

If im not mistaken Federal Law forbids it also

Federal law does not address it. NJ state law does and the transfer of firearms is not permitted. Departments can apply to keep them for use. No can be transfered to a dealer or individual.

I assisted in destroying a few thousand last year.

:violin:

Dont get me started.... It Sucks to see some REALLY nice stuff have to go to the Smelter because we arent allowed to sell it, including stuff like Grands and 03's from the families of Deceased Servicement who "Just dont want them in the house" I ALWAYS tried to steer the folks who enquired about turing them in to local FFL's just so they wouldnt be destroyed.

Oh and before anyone starts in with the "The nice stuff goes to come cop's personal safe" crap, EVERY evidence/turn-in firearm comes with a ream of paper, that has to be verified between the County Prosecutor's and State police, then observers from ALL agencies involved have to verify each firearm as they go into the vat. They have even made the process to reatain stuff for departmental use so onerous that it's less hassle to just buy new.

Dont get me started.... It Sucks to see some REALLY nice stuff have to go to the Smelter because we arent allowed to sell it, including stuff like Grands and 03's from the families of Deceased Servicement who "Just dont want them in the house" I ALWAYS tried to steer the folks who enquired about turing them in to local FFL's just so they wouldnt be destroyed.

Oh and before anyone starts in with the "The nice stuff goes to come cop's personal safe" crap, EVERY evidence/turn-in firearm comes with a ream of paper, that has to be verified between the County Prosecutor's and State police, then observers from ALL agencies involved have to verify each firearm as they go into the vat. They have even made the process to reatain stuff for departmental use so onerous that it's less hassle to just buy new.

Given the fact that our state and localities are strapped for cash, it might be wise to allow police to sort through firearms and sell ones with value.

Who cares if a gun was used in a crime... it's a thing of value that can bring needed money into our Police Departments.

X2... During our dept's last run of destroying firearms we had to melt down an absolutely gorgeous Caesar Guerini over/under :(

X2... During our dept's last run of destroying firearms we had to melt down an absolutely gorgeous Caesar Guerini over/under :(

Was it used in a crime or something? Or just turned in at a Toys for Gun thingy?

Honestly I'm not sure. The gun came in before I started working there... one of the other gun nuts in the dept showed it to me briefly.

Was it used in a crime or something? Or just turned in at a Toys for Gun thingy?

Probably a family turn in. Husband Dies and the Wife doesnt want the hassle or is afraid of getting in trouble..some places are too lazy to explain what the options are when it comes to disposing of firearms OTHER than turn-in and eventual destruction.

Last year at thanksgiving dinner at the inlaws the wifes nephew had a new girl freind over and we started talking about shooting and hunting and how she use to love it then told me how the Gov. doesnt want you to have gun's, then told me she stopped going to the range after she handed them in to a gun buy back !!

So I said WTF I let her know she could have made 4 times the money if she sold them to me or any other collector let her know what they where worth off the top of my head.

and thats how you clear the table of inlaws and this christmas his son got an airsoft M16 from me and a big as bottle of pellets she's still around and cleaning up green pellets :lol: