ActionJacksonNJ

Ready for my first purchase

My ID will be ready in a few days. My NRA basic course is coming up soon. Never fired a handgun. Based on youtube videos (don't laugh guys, I'm being serious), I'm leaning towards the Glock 19 or longer. Also because the Glock is used by the NYPD. If it's good enough for them it must be good enough for me. I would like to stick with a 9mm since based on what I read here, cost of the 9mm rounds are more economical.

That said, does anyone know current price range of the Glock 19 or higher?

My ID will be ready in a few days. My NRA basic course is coming up soon. Never fired a handgun. Based on youtube videos (don't laugh guys, I'm being serious), I'm leaning towards the Glock 19 or longer. Also because the Glock is used by the NYPD. If it's good enough for them it must be good enough for me. I would like to stick with a 9mm since based on what I read here, cost of the 9mm rounds are more economical.

That said, does anyone know current price range of the Glock 19 or higher?

You really need to handle a bunch of handguns before you decide on what you're going to buy. I walked into a shop convinced I was going to buy a Sig and walked out with an HK.

Glocks are fine guns but they really aren't a "beginner" pistol. They are service pistols and need to be treated like it. Not saying you won't do just fine with it, but there's no safety, a 5lb trigger and the only way to uncock it is to pull the trigger.

i really hate to sound like a broken record and spam all the glock threads. especially with such great dealers on the forum. but its hard to let others spend another $100 they dont have to. search all the other glock threads and research the GSSF. you can get a 9mm glock for $425 plus the yearly membership of $35. thats easily 50 - 100 off what ive seen other glocks at stores.

if you dont go that route. supporting dealers are the best :D

Action,

Don't know where you are located, but there are a two ranges that I know of that are likely within a reasonable driving time for you that allow to "rent" handguns - you can handle them and actually fire them.

Shore Shot

Sunset Hill

I'd strongly recommend spending some time and money to try out a variety of guns before committing to purchasing a particular one.

If I purchase a firearm from a gun shop what is the typical turnaround time?

If I understand your question correctly, if the shop doesn't have it they can usually get MOST types in a couple of days. Recently the supply of handgun in stock have been going up as more people are becoming unemployed and cannot afford them. Shore Shot, Cheyenne Mountain and Rahway Firearms Guild have pretty good selections, so you can put your hands on them and see how they feel to you.

I believe my ID is valid for 90 days.

Your ID is permanent (or at least until you move). Permits to purchase Handguns are good for 90 days, but you can get them extended another 90 days. And remember only 1 in a 30 day period.

Can't go wrong with the G19 or G23, the G23 was my first gun ~1 year ago. My LE buddy talked me into it since that (G23) is his service firearm. I got the G23 since it was the same price as the G19 and then picked up a 9mm conversion kit:

http://www.lonewolfdist.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=983&CAT=241

I can swap between .40S&W and 9mm in about 30 secs. (You also need Glock 9mm mags) So for an extra ~$120 you now have a 9mm and .40S&W.

I also have a .22LR conversion kit:

https://advantagearms.hostasaurus.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Session_ID=973af14e43342be8af202843b06e1ae5&Screen=SFNT&Order=0&Store_Code=AASOS

So at the range I can swap the G23 between .40S&W - 9mm - .22LR

Z

Honestly, shoot as many handguns as you can before buying one. Glocks are great and reliable, but often times, they are just not compatible with your hand.

Also, if you are looking at Glocks, do yourself a favor and also try the XD's, CZ's, and S&W M&P's. If you can spend a few more c notes, look at H&K's, Sig's and Browning High Powers along with some 1911's.

Just because a glock is used by NYC, doesn't mean it is the best gun for you. Unfortunately, alot of departments base their decisions on price as well, and go with whomever gives them the best deal.

Honestly, shoot as many handguns as you can before buying one. Glocks are great and reliable, but often times, they are just not compatible with your hand.

Also, if you are looking at Glocks, do yourself a favor and also try the XD's, CZ's, and S&W M&P's. If you can spend a few more c notes, look at H&K's, Sig's and Browning High Powers along with some 1911's

I will take your advice, for sure. After taking my basic NRA course I'm running down to Sure Shot and Brick Armory. I've been researching all of the models that have been suggested by you and others. One of the appealing aspect of many of them are the designs of the firearms. Some of them are a work of art. I know, I shouldn't be focusing on that, but some do look very nice.

Also, many are very expensive. That's another reason why I'm looking at the Glock. The Sig looks better, for sure. The Glock looks like a brick. Ultimately it going to be feel and price.

Question for you experts out there: Most of the 9mm (90%) of them range from 4 bills and up (the stoeger can be had for a little over 4 bills). But I did run across a Hi-point 9mm for $165 brand new:

http://www.hi-pointfirearms.com/handgun ... s_9mm.html

How can a 9mm, new, go for 1/4 the price of the closest competitor (stoeger)? Does anyone have experience with hi-point?

Well... I have to admit I've considered making my first purchase a C9, along with a Maverick 88 I've had my eyes on.

But... I've decided that cheaping out on two guns is stupid, so I am looking into buying a 1911 first and saving again for a Mossberg 500 for skeet.

I've shot the Hi-Point .40 S&W carbine, that thing is a beast. It jammed a lot, but it was a range rental gun so you could chalk it up to dirty/worn gun, crappy ammo, crappy gun, or all three. No experience with the C9, sorry.

How can a Lexus cost so much more than a Hyundai? They're just cars!
I've shot the Hi-Point .40 S&W carbine, that thing is a beast. It jammed a lot, but it was a range rental gun so you could chalk it up to dirty/worn gun, crappy ammo, crappy gun, or all three. No experience with the C9, sorry.

I'll skip the hi-point. I guess you get what you pay for. Golf clubs and fishing rods, maybe; home protection -- NEVER!!!!

Finally got my FID. I test drove the XD, H&K, Beretta, SIG, 357, and the Glock. I settled on the XD9. Your advice about trying out different firearms was definitely the way to go. Purchased it at Cheyenne Mountain Outfitters for 5 bills. Easy to breakdown, etc. Thanks for all of the great suggestions. Next purchase will probably be the 357. I love that baby!

Finally got my FID. I test drove the XD, H&K, Beretta, SIG, 357, and the Glock. I settled on the XD9. Your advice about trying out different firearms was definitely the way to go. Purchased it at Cheyenne Mountain Outfitters for 5 bills. Easy to breakdown, etc. Thanks for all of the great suggestions. Next purchase will probably be the 357. I love that baby!

Congratulations on your new addition. The XD is a really nice gun. I have the same one in a subcompact and like it a lot..

Have fun with it.

thats so funny! yesterday i just brought a taurus 617 snubbie in .357 mag from a another forum member and we did the transaction at cheyenne mountain outfitters! :lol:

Congrats on the XD. I have one in 45acp that has been customized and accurized. 2# Trigger job, melted Bomars, barrel refit, tungsten guide rod and a bunch of other stuff. Its one of the most accurate guns I have ever owned and I am a huge 1911 fan. Last night I was shooting it and making nice cloverleaf groups at 15 yards without trying too hard. The gun is just amazing.

If you ever have trouble with it then Springfield will take care of you. My warranty is void b/c of all the aftermarket stuff I have done to mine. To me, it was worth doing.

Congrats on the XD. I have one in 45acp that has been customized and accurized. 2# Trigger job, melted Bomars, barrel refit, tungsten guide rod and a bunch of other stuff. Its one of the most accurate guns I have ever owned and I am a huge 1911 fan. Last night I was shooting it and making nice cloverleaf groups at 15 yards without trying too hard. The gun is just amazing.

Shot it today at Shore Shot -- about 140 rounds (blazer bass) -- not a single misfire. I have to work on my grip and breathing. I am very happy with it. I think I'm going to need to purchase some tape or something to help me with the polymer frame/grip. After about an hour, my palms were getting sweaty and the grip was loosening up. Can you recommend something for the XD9 that will resist sweaty palms?

Shot it today at Shore Shot -- about 140 rounds (blazer bass) -- not a single misfire. I have to work on my grip and breathing. I am very happy with it. I think I'm going to need to purchase some tape or something to help me with the polymer frame/grip. After about an hour, my palms were getting sweaty and the grip was loosening up. Can you recommend something for the XD9 that will resist sweaty palms?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001QX ... BQBTHCHTAD

Cut a piece off, force it onto your grip, trim to fit.

Based on youtube videos (don't laugh guys, I'm being serious), I'm leaning towards the Glock 19 or longer.

funny you should say that. I did basically the same thing but took it a step further. I ordered and purchased a glock 19C without ever firing one. I've shot other guns before, but never a glock. I ordered and bought one based on reviews and videos on youtube. I was very lucky that it turned out to be a great gun. I have a feeling I won't be able to try out the next 2 guns I wanna get, just because I haven't seen anyone bring one at our bi-weekly meet-ups.

At first look I thought you were joking. But after thinking about it, it's probably more cost effective. I'm sure something designed specifically for the XD would cost 10 times the price.

At first look I thought you were joking. But after thinking about it, it's probably more cost effective. I'm sure something designed specifically for the XD would cost 10 times the price.

In addition, they tend to slip off. The bicycle tube will not, it will take quite a deal of effort to get it on your XD.

I have done it myself otherwise I would not have suggested such a "ahem" low budget approach.