Sign in to follow this  
AdamaSys

Several Questions

Hello everyone,

I've been looking at your forum for the past couple of days and the information I've found has been quite helpful, so first I'd like to thank everyone for that. It's good to see that this forum exists.

I have a few remaining questions that I couldn't find exact answers to so I thought I'd ask directly.

I'll be submitting my Application for Firearms Purchaser Identification Card soon and I have some questions about the process. First, will I be questioned in person at any point throughout the process? I read some things about people being asked to explain their desire to own a firearm. In the event I am asked, what is considered an acceptable response? The truth is that I plan to use a rifle to hunt and to take to the range. To me these seem like reasonable, responsible answers but I'm not sure what the authorities consider valid.

Second, because I'm 18 and attending college this fall, will my police department feel the need to stall my application? (more than they could be expected to otherwise) I understand that this would be illegal as I am of age, but the fact that New Jersey police departments fail to issue permits within the 30 day period suggests that they do as they please unless challenged by an attorney.

For now that's all I have to ask about the application process but I'm sure in the coming days I'll have more to ask. Next: If I am granted my permit, one of my first purchases will be the Ruger SR-22. I've been told that there is a compliant version available in New Jersey. On the compliant version, the adjustable stock is pinned in the fully extended position which some consider uncomfortable. Is it possible to switch out the included stock for another (non-adjustable) stock? From what I've seen the stock seems to be removable, but I'm not sure if there is some kind of modification done to the compliant version to prevent it from being removed.

All replies are greatly appreciated.

You shouldn't be interviewed. Just answer "to hunt" if asked. You won't be asked.

You can change stocks as long as the new stock is fixed length or wouldn't otherwise make the gun illegal.

I wouldn't mention any up coming bits about college. "This is my address" and leave it at that. When you change you driver license, you will have to change you purchaser ID.

Cheers and welcome aboard.

I didn't have to answer any questions, but I would submit the application A.S.A.P. since they can take 2 months + to process. It all depends on how quickly the dept. processes FID applications where you apply.

A lot of what is done during the FPID card application is at the discretion of the local LE entity with which you are applying (not really, but they all seem to think this is the way it is, and there are enough loopholes in the statute that they usually get away with it.) Some towns are more gun friendly than others. You didn't post a location in your profile so others who live there can't tell you how long it normally takes. Usually, even in the bad locales, there is no personal interaction, other than filling out the forms and turning them in. Good luck and welcome.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Does anyone know what authorities consider "reputable" in regard to the two references required on the application? This will help me determine who to list as my references.

Thanks again.

use someone who has known you for some time

use someone who is reliable and will return paperwork promptly

and just to error on the side of caution

use someone with a clean record.. lol

Pretty much every department now switched to sending folks out for electronic fingerprinting. Good thing is, you do it once and thats it. After a year if you need more permits, you just sign a release form to pull your prints from the electronic fingerprinting place.

This may not be relevant but

You can get a FPID card at 18. This is not a permit. It allows you to buy as many long guns as you would like.

You have to be 21 to get a hand gun permit or to purchase hand gun ammo.

For each handgun purchased you need a permit.

As for references two friends who don't have a police record will do.

Pretty much every department now switched to sending folks out for electronic fingerprinting. Good thing is, you do it once and thats it. After a year if you need more permits, you just sign a release form to pull your prints from the electronic fingerprinting place.

IMO someone in the legislature must have a cousin who works for Sagem Morpho. My Dept HAS the Sagem system for Livescan fingerprints, and we cant do them for FID's anymore. Just another thing to screw the people over and add another $75.00 fee to the already onerus process.

Talk about assinine....

I am in the investment and insurance business so here is where my prints are done.

Insurance - Online fingerprinting at Sagem Morpho.

Investments - SEC, and Finra local prints mailed to them.

FID - Had prints at local PD.

Honestly though... I am glad they went local as now you do them once, that is it, they dont have to print you again, they just pull them from Sagem.

You can get a FPID card at 18. This is not a permit. It allows you to buy as many long guns as you would like. It also is required to purcahse long gun only ammo in NJ. (5.56mm .308, shotgun shells etc)

This is not true. I have never had to show my FPID for purchase of 12ga shotgun ammo at Dicks, BH, Action, or anywhere else within the state. 410 may be different because it can be used in the Taurus Judge handgun, as may 22LR as it can be used in numerous handguns despite the "long rifle" appellation.

You can get a FPID card at 18. This is not a permit. It allows you to buy as many long guns as you would like. It also is required to purcahse long gun only ammo in NJ. (5.56mm .308, shotgun shells etc)

This is not true. I have never had to show my FPID for purchase of 12ga shotgun ammo at Dicks, BH, Action, or anywhere else within the state. 410 may be different because it can be used in the Taurus Judge handgun, as may 22LR as it can be used in numerous handguns despite the "long rifle" appellation.

Most Dicks now require FID for everything as per store policy.

Yep you're right, I must have been thinking about the Dick's thread. I definitely had to show id for some 22lr I bought.

I called my local police department today to ask for their hours. They said that the Records Bureau handles Firearms I.D. Card applications and are open weekdays until 4:30 PM. They said to come by and pick up information for my application. I went to the Records Bureau and asked for the information, they asked for my age, then handed me three papers.

The first paper basically outlines the procedure for submitting an application for a Firearms I.D. Card. The second paper is a release of information waiver which grants permission to Law Enforcement to conduct a background check. The third paper is an applicant information form for MorphoTrak (no longer Sagem Morpho). The fee for fingerprinting will be $60.25.

The procedure, as outlined in the first paper, is as follows (condensed):

-Obtain Application for Firearms Purchaser Identification Card and Consent For Mental Health Records Search.

-Complete all questions on the Application Form.

-Bring two stamped and addressed #10 envelopes for each reference. References must be local and not related to the applicant.

-Complete Waiver of Information Form - to be signed at the time application is submitted.

-Complete Mental Health Form - to be signed in the presence of a detective at time application is submitted.

-Complete items 9 through 26 on the MorphoTrak forms (name, address, occupation, etc.)

-Bring $5 I.D. Card fee - payable by cash, check, or money order.

-At the time application is submitted, further information regarding fingerprinting will be given.

So far everything has gone well. I've spoken with my two references who both have their FID cards and have been given their permission to use them as contacts.

I'll submit everything tomorrow and keep you posted on how it goes. Hopefully my experience with this can help other newcomers as you have helped me. Thanks again.

Edit: On a related note, I just joined the NRA!

When i first applied for my FID card i also applied for 2 handgun permits , the officer i had was fair , he asked me if all my info was correct because it was a crime to lie on any of my apps , he was pretty serious about that , after a little bit of trying to lighten up the mood he loosened up and was pretty cool , my town also requires my 2 refferences to have their paperwork NOTORIZED , , just another inconvienence ...... Now i recently made a app for another purchase permit , the officer called me back promptly and i told him i was there about 6months ago and already have my FID card and had purchased 2 handguns , he was like oh ok come in at 9am and ill get you in and out first thing , i guess your first time they are a little hesitant on doing it since it involves a lot of paperwork , this time he told me all i really needed was just the top page of the app process and he would use all my old paperwork , seemed pretty cool to me ...................

AdamaSys

Sounds about right.

I didn't have to have local references, and the $5 was payable when I picked up my ID.

Each department does things their own way:roll:, but yours seems to be following the rules pretty well.

Got my fingerprinting done today. The person from Morphotrak told me to bring the receipt back to my PD, which I did, but the man in the Records Dept. said they didn't need the receipt because Morphotrak sends them all the info automatically. I thought that was strange... He also said to expect to wait about two months.

So far I'd say my town is playing by the rules except for that release of information waiver I signed.