ChrisJM981

Urban Survival Kit

I'm curious if anyone has an urban survival kit and what you carry in it. I'm modeling one after NutnFancy's and I'm looking for any additional items to include. This is the kit I'm referring to:

OVkntkChnnM

Caine posted these vids a while back and they boil down to this.

Get a backpack, pack all the important stuff in there. Light, water, some light rope, knife, some packable rations of some kind.

It's your basic bug out bag. He went ahead and made some specific suggestions for things that are light and pack well...I don't recall what it was other than it was cheap and it fit.

Do me a favor and just list his suggestions please?? Watching his videos and listening to him makes me want to kick my dog.

My wife says the same thing, "what, that guy again!"

Ha, ahh, Nutnfancy. I don't mind him too much, as the content of his videos outweigh his antics (all with a grain of salt of course).

As for me, I distinguish between my GO bags. There is my SHT-absolute-F GO bag (which I keep secure in the homestead), and there is the one that I keep in my POV. Generally speaking, my SHTF GO bag is a bit bulkier and heavy. Its a "72 hour" pack, containing what I think is needed.

The one that goes in my POV is just a junior version of the main one. If I'm at school/work/out and something were to happen, its "something" versus nothing.

Even tho I've linked to that video before, I don't remember the specifics of what he suggests - but there is nothing particularly unique about his approach from what I remember. It's a good starting point if you're not familiar with the concepts he's talking about tho. The one thing to take away from it is to determine your specific needs. For me, those types of bags/kits, particularly in an urban environment, are more like GHBs - Get Home Bags... and for me that generally means small & not weighed down with a bunch of stuff I'll never use in an emergency. A knife, a flashlight, a small prybar, duct tape, some energy bars/cliff bars, a means to carry water (Nalgene bottle or something similar), a map of my local area, a compass, eyeglasses, a pair of sturdy gloves, multitool, batteries, a couple disposable lighters, at least $100 in cash and that's about it. I pack of baby wipes and extra socks wouldn't hurt either (wet socks from sweaty feet suck). I'm sure I'm forgetting some things, but you get the idea. All of that will fit into a basic bookbag or if you want to get fancy something like a Maxpedition Fatboy and wouldn't slow me down if I'm making my way thru NYC trying to get back to NJ.

Do me a favor and just list his suggestions please?? Watching his videos and listening to him makes me want to kick my dog.

Yea he can talk. I think I got 20 items out of the first 45 minute segment. I was just jotting down notes while I polished my boots last night. The Dr. Strangelove kit would make more sense considering my work location's proximity to NYC. I'd have a lot of splainin to do if I got caught with a .45 in my bag. :whistle:

Don't forget the rope!

raCOwjbje7M

Caine posted these vids a while back and they boil down to this.

Get a backpack, pack all the important stuff in there. Light, water, some light rope, knife, some packable rations of some kind.

It's your basic bug out bag. He went ahead and made some specific suggestions for things that are light and pack well...I don't recall what it was other than it was cheap and it fit.

I carry a backpack like you describe every day..

copied & pasted from Part 2. i love everything about nutnfancy except nutnfancy.

DETAILED KIT CONTENTS, Of course all items are subject to improvement, change, or discontinuance by the manufacturer:

CARRY CASES: Small day pack (Kelty "Cadence" model used here, 1700 cubes. 2 main compartments), zipped organization pouches, Columbia

Not attacking you TR, but that's about the stupidest thing I have ever seen in a kit. An adjustable wrench will have far more function and utility than a gas shutoff wrench.

No worries, it's not my kit. It's by the YouTube gear reviewer named "Nutnfancy."

Has anybody taken a look at or researched solar crank AA emergency radio's? I see a couple on Sportsman's Guide and am wondering if they are any good.

Kaito Voyager Solar Dynamo Weather Radio or Storm Alert Crank Weather Band Radio

Also others that have been mentioned here like AA variety Sony Panasonic RF-P50, Sony ICF-S10MK2, Grundig Mini-300

Has anybody taken a look at or researched solar crank AA emergency radio's? I see a couple on Sportsman's Guide and am wondering if they are any good.

Kaito Voyager Solar Dynamo Weather Radio or Storm Alert Crank Weather Band Radio

Also others that have been mentioned here like AA variety Sony Panasonic RF-P50, Sony ICF-S10MK2, Grundig Mini-300

Grundig seems to top most lists. I have two since 9/11. They still work.

Some of the things I find invaluable in my BOB is a secure thumb drive loaded with all my scanned important information such as passports,prescriptions,deeds,policies,contacts. An old open Nokia phone that can hold a full charge for years and 2 prepaid SIMS with no expiration,about $150.00 in folding money and another $15.00 in change,and a small hip flask with vodka.

I've got two bags. One sits in my car and the other is a smaller bag I often have in the car, but will generally take with me. Their contents have some emergency stuff, but most of it is stuff that'll bail me out of extremly frustrating circumstances that aren't necessarily life & death.

The bag that sits in my car has a spare set of clothes and shoes, a warm winter coat that I stopped using as my regular coat due to huge ink stain on it, a batter pack with a built in air compressor and jumper cables. Also in my trunk, but not in my bag, is cold steel's "special forces shovel" which helped me get out of some icy parking spots this winter.

The bag I generally have in my car, but also sometimes take along when I'm traveling in someone elses car is a maxpedition versipak. Basically a man purse in which I keep:

-A first aid kit that started off as a store bought boo boo kit, but I've swapped out much of the contents. The guaze and bandages I've got in there now are more geared toward temporary care of more significant wounds until professional medical help arrives. Also have assorted packets of anti-bacterial creams and topical hydrocortisone, plus some cheap emergency ponchos.

-A Fenix PD30 flashlight. I usually have my streamlight microstream clipped inside my pocket, but sometimes I forget it or want something a little brighter.

-A cheap folding knife I got from LA Police gear that keeps relatively sharp because I don't use it much.

-Some lightweight rope wrapped around a single snap&glow chemical light

-Bic lighter

-Gerber suspension multi tool

-Small plastic handled box cutter

-Spare pair of glasses

-Contact solution & case

-Two lithium AA batteries

-Two CR123A batteries

-An assortment of membership cards, insurance cards, gift certificates and appointment reminder cards that I like to have with me but don't want to blow out my wallet with.

-A small compass. I'm kind of kidding myself with this one. I can't read a map to save my life and I generally wouldn't venture into the woods even if you paid me.