Sign in to follow this  
Radek

Post your reloading bench and setup

A long awaited project is finally taking shape. Just cleared out (er, organized) the basement!!:icon_e_biggrin:

My plan is to set it up in the basement with an exhaust fan. Not sure yet if I want to cast bullets ... The setup will be on a strong computer desk with drawers underneath. Now buying parts and accessories ... will be buying a Dillon 650. (I know some of you will recommend a non-progressive, but I prefer to splurge once!)

I have a carpet in my basement, so I need some mechanism to drain static ... any gadget ideas? I have seen people use a flat metal sheet on the carpet that's connected to main ground, though not sure if that actually works!?

Since I am just starting out, I would like to see pics of your setup to get ideas.

Oh, I definitely need a vertical storage / cabinet at the rear of the table. Ideally, metal, lockable, so I can store primers, powder, etc.

• Like 1

For the press, at a minimum at least 3 inches of wood.

Can you cover the carpet? the big issue that I see is when you spill stuff.

3" of wood? Seems overkill. I have a 1.5" particle board table top and that's rated for 350lbs! I think that should suffice ...

I can cover the carpet, sure, but walking to/from the table will generate static ... so, I want a system that will work, always. Can't have a Ka boom in the basement! Kinda, like the static wrist-straps working on computer equipment. I had come across roll mats that are grounded, have to look again ...

will take pictures of my setup in the office tomorrow... but it is a 2 1 inch oak boards, glued and screwed together, clamped to a 1 inch oak desk. That is what both the presses sit on, have one setup on each press.

I had it originally setup on a 1 inch oak board, clamped to the desk, but it was way wobbly.

the dillon 650 is twice the press my lee presses are and going to create alot of movement.

I know tim setup a small single stage for someone here on the forum and used 3 1 inch oak boards together, then c clamped to the desk.

You will be surprised at the amount of flex you will encounter with your press. I have my presses bolted through a 1 1/4 in commercial counter top into a 2x4 frame.

I think you can get an anti static mat to put under your chair as well. Cover a large area, you will spill powder and it is messy.

There is no such thing as overkill when it comes to a bench. The bench MUST be on a hard surface and MUST be bolted to the wall or floor. Any movement or flex in the bench will affect the function of your press, especially a progressive press and cause significant fuctuations in loads (this is a very bad thing). I tried my friend's Dillion 550B and I was very surprised at the amount of force needed to re-size a case. Additionally, my friend said to use a grade 5 bolts for the press as the weaker bolts he bought at Lowes broke.

Old kitchen table in basement. Press mounted to board with very thing layer of rubber on bottom for grip and no scratching, board clamped on with vice grip tongs. VERY solid! I attach all 4 of my presses this way and nothing is permenent.

reloader2.jpg

Reloading wall with a little shooting gear mixed in

reloader.jpg

I have a carpet in my basement, so I need some mechanism to drain static ... any gadget ideas? I have seen people use a flat metal sheet on the carpet that's connected to main ground, though not sure if that actually works!?

The sheet of metal would work as a ground, but it's advisable to have a resistance between you and earth ground. It's been a while, but I believe it's at least 10 mega ohms. I can think of at least 2 reasons for this. One is that you don't want to discharge yourself with a spark, that's what you're trying to avoid. Two, if a large spike like a close lightning strike or power transformer problem occurs you're giving that spike a direct path to where you don't want it to go. The easiest thing that comes to mind is a conductive floor mat from an office store and to wear an electronic wrist strap. There are more durable ones than the ones that come with many switches and routers now-a-days, but that's the idea. Slow the discharge enough so you don't create a spark. You can plug your wrist strap directly to earth ground without the fear of electrocution because they burn out first.

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Cat=2228308&k=ground%20strap

Because you did not listen to me and had to find out the hard way I was right. :icon_mrgreen:

and now for the next bench I am thinking 4 inch. =P But in all seriousness, this is like building up the walls and roof of the house without laying a good foundation.

The 650 and addons are big.... and the force required to perform the operations are alot greater than just doing one stage at a time.

I believe Midway sells a Frankford Arsenal metal stand designed for the major presses. That may be an option.

This is the bench I use at work. Not bolted to anything, sturdy as can be. I did not use the metal counter top cover, just bare wood. Oh, Dillon 650, with all the goodies. Drawers can be mounted vertically, perfect to mount the press and drawers great for dies, tools, manuals, etc...

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xgf/R-100135138/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

The sheet of metal would work as a ground, but it's advisable to have a resistance between you and earth ground. It's been a while, but I believe it's at least 10 mega ohms. I can think of at least 2 reasons for this. One is that you don't want to discharge yourself with a spark, that's what you're trying to avoid. Two, if a large spike like a close lightning strike or power transformer problem occurs you're giving that spike a direct path to where you don't want it to go. The easiest thing that comes to mind is a conductive floor mat from an office store and to wear an electronic wrist strap. There are more durable ones than the ones that come with many switches and routers now-a-days, but that's the idea. Slow the discharge enough so you don't create a spark. You can plug your wrist strap directly to earth ground without the fear of electrocution because they burn out first.

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Cat=2228308&k=ground%20strap

Crackaloon is correct. You want some resistance between you and ground. Electronic ditributors sell anti-static grounding matts that you can put on the floor and walk on.

Thanks guys for sharing your setup.

I am thinking of buying this table. The legs are rated 3000 lbs. I think the 1 3/4" Maple top should be quite sturdy and will not flex ... I can always add a layer of plywood underneath and bolt it together if needed.

Here is my setup as promised.

I have an empty section in my office so decided to setup the press there.

In the new space I am moving too, there is about a 150 sf closet that I will turn into the reloading room. Out of sight will work great.

Once we move out of the condo, there will be space. Whatever house we decide to buy, will have a gun cave. lol.

Both of the presses are mounted to 2 inches of oak, glued and drilled. Mounted to the desk with Double head C clamps. So when I switch from one to another, very easy to do so... and still solid.

IMAG0081.jpg

IMAG0082.jpg

IMAG0083.jpg

I am picking up this workbench tonight!

Workbench 72 inches long; 30 inches wide; 30 inches high and 56 inches high to top of light. Bench has 110 electric and lighting.

The table top is wood covered with Formica, rest is all steel ... should be sturdy!

I am going to put a shelf (on the leg braces) and maybe a set of drawers underneath ...

3m63o43l35W65U35S2a9h262009ac502012cc.jpg

3n53pd3l15Q65W65X3a9he2e36095b3111ffa.jpg

3n83p23o85Q05X05R6a9hb1f172b24b9e198f.jpg

3mb3p73l65O05T65X1a9h798fa735163a170e.jpg