david8613

quick newb question?

i have been looking at shot guns the past two weeks, and i was wondering what are the benefits and negatives between an auto shotgun and pump? i see alot of people, military, police doing the pump more than auto why? i would think auto would be faster with follow up shots and would be better than pump, am i wrong to think that? thanks in advance.

It all depends on your planned use of the gun.

Home Defense - Either will do, but I personally lean towards a pump. It's easier to manipulate with just muscle memory (for me), is simpler in design so less chance of failure when you need it most, and NJ laws allow far more modification to a pump gun than a semi, if you're leaning towards "tacticooling" your shottie.

Recreational Shooting/Hunting - I don't hunt, so I have no opinion there, and my recreational shotgunning is limited to clay sports, where there's generally no advantage to the quick followup and higher capacity of a semi (or even a pump) since the most I ever shoot in a row is 2 rounds.

Semis are nice guns, and fun to bang around with at the range (or hunt with, I guess), but the one I own is strictly a range gun and only when I feel it needs some loving after being ignored in favor of its pump or O/U bretheren.

Of course, YMMV.

K

AutoLoaders are softer recoiling. The action used to eject and feed the next round actually soaks up some of the recoil. While I am not that knowledgeable about shotguns (I own 1 pump and 1 autoloader), I think the pump has the reliability and price factors on its side. AutoLoaders are usually several times more expensive. Also, I tend to have at least one ejection problem per session with my Remington 1100 Trap gun. I never have a hiccup with my Mossberg pump.

My AutoLoader is tuned for light target loads. Its cycling action is not that fast. If you had a Benelli or FN tactical autoloader that is built for buck shot and slug, I'll bet it cycles super fast (and more reliably).

For trap/skeet/upland game you don't want to do anything in between shots, which is why semi-auto and double barrel guns are most popular. When it comes to deer, the movement in between shots isn't as big a deal, but the semi-auto will hurt less when shooting slugs. When thinking home-defense, the pump will be the most reliable, plus you can add all the tacticool goodies you want without running afoul of the law.

Since you mention M&P I'm going to draw the dotted line that your interest in shotguns is in the defensive role. Let me preface my statements with the admission that I am not a great shotgunner. But being a forever student of shooting and competing in some 3 gun matches I have picked up a few observations. I think basically a pump has a bit of a reliability advantage. At least for me, and possibly as a result of not being a great shotgun shot, I think I shoot the pump better than an auto. I find that in fast strings of fire that the pumping action sets up a very natural shooting "rythem". With the auto it seems too easy to get trigger happy and start sending your muzzle higher and higher. And believe me, Im an auto guy! Just in this instance or at least at my shotgun skill level, I prefer pump. YMMV.

Shane

+1 to everything said here.

You can get a nice pump shotgun for pretty cheap too. That's why I got mine. 18.5" Barrel for HD, and a longer one for clay shooting.

Yeah, price is something I forgot to mention, but definitely played a role in my decision also.

I find that in fast strings of fire that the pumping action sets up a very natural shooting "rhythm". With the auto it seems too easy to get trigger happy and start sending your muzzle higher and higher.

THIS. My suggestion would be to START with a pump shotgun, and once you are comfortable and efficient with that, then move up to an auto-loading. The key here is YOUR ability to properly, safely, and efficiently handle the firearm. Having an auto-loader and not knowing how to control it could even be potentially dangerous.

I have both and find just a little recoil difference but I'm not sensitive. I guess I would say that pumps are a little cheaper and require more skill to get the second shot off. I have no shotgun that has ever misfired (lucky maybe!)so don't think there is a real reliability issue from one to another type.

I took the Boy Scouts to Thunder Mountain this morning, One of the fathers had a semi auto, about every 3 shots the shell never ejected, so it had to be done manually, so, he will have it checked I guess. Not what you want when you really need it. I have a Winchester 120 Ranger pump purchased from a member here, and it performs like a champ.