tuktuk

Compact 9mm

Have you ever shot a G19 or G23?

Glocks tend to have some bite with factory ammo.

If the size of the grip is an issue, you should consider a gen 4 glock, an S&W M&P, or a XD. They all have interchangeable backstraps to adjust the size of the grip.

Lastly I would consider a 1911, smaller grip area and way better gun for your money.

My $.02

Have you ever shot a G19 or G23?

Glocks tend to have some bite with factory ammo.

If the size of the grip is an issue, you should consider a gen 4 glock, an S&W M&P, or a XD. They all have interchangeable backstraps to adjust the size of the grip.

Lastly I would consider a 1911, smaller grip area and way better gun for your money.

My $.02

went to Ramsey Outdoor before work ... apparently they are the only ones so far that have beretta px4 in stock >>> i liked the beretta very much. very good grip and overall feel to it. so for me the top pick so far is

(yes yes) Glock 19/23 4th Gen or Beretta PX4 9mm/.40

they also have beretta cougar 8000 in 9mm. shows very lil wear. older model but all metal ... something to consider.

went to Ramsey Outdoor before work ... apparently they are the only ones so far that have beretta px4 in stock >>> i liked the beretta very much. very good grip and overall feel to it. so for me the top pick so far is

(yes yes) Glock 19/23 4th Gen or Beretta PX4 9mm/.40

they also have beretta cougar 8000 in 9mm. shows very lil wear. older model but all metal ... something to consider.

If you come out to the Bullet Hole this Tuesday, you can shoot a few G19s (different Generations) and a Px4 9mm.

If you come out to the Bullet Hole this Tuesday, you can shoot a few G19s (different Generations) and a Px4 9mm.

thank you very much Ray but unfortunately nights are not good for me right now. my kid is teething so wiffy needs me at home 8) still have 11 days to decide.

thank you very much Ray but unfortunately nights are not good for me right now. my kid is teething so wiffy needs me at home 8) still have 11 days to decide.

Don't let the permit go to waste! And you gotta take care of the little guy first.

Greetings,

My experiences....

Glock's

My fav' is the G19. I have a 2nd and 3rd gen G19, a 2nd Gen G17 and have fired a Gen4 G19. If I were you, I'd get the Gen4 G19. I love my G19's, but, especially if you're buying new & as you noted, the Gen4 ergo's are better. I'm, very probably, going to purchase a Gen4 G23 tomorrow. I myself was considering getting a Gen4 G19, but I want to give the .40 a whirl in the Gen4 setup. From the reviews I've read, the new double recoil spring setup of the Gen4 makes a fairly noticeable difference in recoil control over the Gen3 and prior. If I buy the G23 tomorrow, my buddy is coming along w/ his Gen2 G23 to compare against. Also, you get the flexibility of changing to 357 Sig w/ barrel change and 9mm, with a barrel, mag, extractor and possibly recoil spring change. Having said that, I would not get a Gen3 or prior G23. I've shot the G26 and REALLY liked it. It was more accurate and controllable than I though it would be. However, I'd rather have the midsized G19/G23 if I'm only going to have one or the other. Also, I've read that the Gen4 G26 is coming quickly down the pipe. Mags average $25. I'm guessing they be had as low as $20 or so. Parts and very cheap, the gun is among the simplest to work on. All parts can be removed w/ a punch, except the front sight which only requires a hex head. Lone Wolf sells a combo tool for $20. Does everthing except rear sight installation/removal.

Sig's

Another option that I like is the Sig P228/P229. The 228 is a smidge lighter w/ better slide serrations and a recoil signature that can border on slightly snappy w/ hot ammo. Although I'm sure w/ some practice, it wouldn't be an issue. The 229 in 9mm is chunky but handles recoil like a W German P226, which is to say... beautifully, but has, bordering on too small, slide serrations. I have a German P226 from '95 and my buddy has numerous Sigs, including 2 P229 .40's from the 90's w/ really nice triggers out of the box. If you like DA/SA type pistols, Sig has among the best of the type. Both the P228 and P229 are among the best you can find in this class. Used examples can he had for very close to your price. Mags run $35 or so new. Last time I checked, it's been a while though, CDNN sold used factory mags in great condition for $20. Keep MegCar mags in mind as well, as they are sometimes the OEM for Sig mags. My buddy took the Sig armorers course and bought the Sig tools. I may be wrong, but I believe you're looking at somwhere around $100 for tools minus sight pusher.

HK

Another excellent option if you're willing to go used, is the HK USP9C. I have a USP45F and it is a fantastic pistol. I've shot the USP9C once for 5 rounds. For me, this was one of those pistols that, having never shot it before, that shot beautifully. I pulled a 1.5" 5 round group at 15 yards. On a gun I'm familiar w/, I've had some bests right at 1", but usually shoot 1.5-2" for 5 rounds, slow fire at 15 yards. Also, the recoil signature was probably among the easiest of comparable guns I've shot, to work with. If you like the idea of cocked/locked, this is one of the few of the type available. Once the trigger is broken in, SA is decent, DA is not the greatest. LEM trigger variants are available. If you can deal w/ a single stack, I believe you can find a used HK P7. It is heavy for what it is, only holds 8 rnds in the mag and has a really different action setup. It is amazingly accurate. The gun is capable of firing 1" groups at 25 yards w/ the right ammo. It has the, very unique, squeeze cocker that allows for extremely fast to action w/ a manual safety. It is gas operated, like a semi auto rifle, but differently done. The recoil signature is very unique. It cycles very fast, but with an extremely low bore axis, shot to shot strings are very fast while providing excellent shot to shot recovery. The downside to the gas system is uses, is that the frame heats up quickly. Put a box or 2 of ammo through the gun at a quick pace and you'll notice a temp difference. Mags in general for HK are among the most expensive of all brands. The USP Compact 9/40 mags, are among the cheapest of the brand. Last time I looked, a while ago, they could be had for $35 or so new. P7 mags are about $50 or so.

So far, any of the aforementioned I would feel equally well armed with in terms of reliability, durability, accuracy and my ability to shoot well with them.

M&P

I have not shot the M&P9. I have the M&P40 that I picked up used about a year ago. The trigger the gun comes with absolutely sucks. It's not consistent, it's gritty as hell and the reset blows. I put in the Apex sear and polished the internals, based on Dave Burwell's instructions. I had to buy a sight pusher to remove the rear sight to get access to the firing pin plunger. Anyway, the trigger is now really nice. Reset is decent, the pull is lightened, but most importantly it's one of the smoothest triggers you'll find on a polymer gun. Having said that I'm selling it since the ergo's just don't work for me. I can't a good grip on the frame to where it doesn't move on me. I do very well w/ guns like the Glock w/ a blocky frames. I don't do as well w/ thinner more rounded frames. The gun is very reliable. I've put 500 or so rounds on the gun w/out a hitch. I'd love to give a M&P9C a whirl and see what that's like. ToodG on m4carbine.net has an M&P9 w/ something like over 65K rounds on the thing and he pulled a sub 2" group on the pistol at recent round count. I still may keep my pistol as I love everything about it, except the ergos. I understand S&W has recently released 15 rnd mags for the M&P9. This makes the pistol much more compelling. New mags are between $25 and $30. AR15 punches work on the pistol for tools. This and a sight pusher and you're good to go.

XD

I've owned and sold an XD9 Tactical and XD45 Tactical. My 1st experience w/ an XD was a rented XD9 directly compared to a Gen3 G19. I initially thought the XD was easier to shoot w/ better ergos. Upon firing more rounds, I discovered that even though it felt like I could shoot the XD better, my spreads were 2" bigger. Even slow fire, I couldn't shoot it well. A few months later, I bought the XD9Tact to give it a true try out. The idea of a long slide 15 round (we live in NJ after all) 9mm w/ rail sounded intriqueing. I put 400 or so rounds through it and wound up selling it. While I fire/dry fired it enough to smooth it out, the trigger was mushy w/ a bad reset. The gun was reliable in the 400 rounds, and factory 15 rnd mags sound great. I think mags are around $25, not positive on that. Don't know what's involved armorer wise.

The Glock, M&P and XD seem to be among the more popular mid priced pistols. I've read quite a few accounts by people that seem to know their stuff that say the Glock and M&P are equals on a functional level. They've also mentioned that the XD is not in the same durability / reliability class as the Glock and M&P. I'm no expert, but the Glock has somewhere around 25 years history now and is pretty well proven. I do believe that the M&P is a great pistol on a functional level w/ a shitty trigger from the factory and ergo's that just don't work for me. Also, for me at least, I don't think they are as accurate as Glocks. The XD feels nice in the hand, but has the least refined feel of the 3. I should mention I thought the XD45 was a better built pistol than the XD9. On the other hand, I've read numerous accounts of very happy XD users.

Other considerations...

Walther P99 - Really accurate midsized pistol w/ a somewhat unique feeling DA/SA trigger. The one I've shot had a ski hump in the trigger guard that rubbed my finger raw when shooting it. Also, one of the more snappy midsized 9mm's.

CZ75/P01 - I have a CZ75SA in .40 that is one of my most accurate pistols. 1" 5 round 15 yard groups are very doable w/ this gun. I've never shot a 9mm, but they have a great reputation. The triggers have a crude feel from the factory. While it is an accurate pistol, if you look in the slide, the finish is not in the same class as the more popular pistols.

Personally, guns such as the Ruger centerfire autos, Taurus and what not don't interest me.

Good luck in your search and shoot as many as you can. That will help a lot in your decision.

thank you rauchman. that was very detailed and extensive write up 8) atm i am trying to decide between Glock 19 4th Gen and Sig P226/229. actually looking into SigPro also just saw it for $450 (new) couple of days ago. besides that i have to consider cost factor since i have one more permit left after this one. decisions decisions ....

thank you rauchman. that was very detailed and extensive write up 8) atm i am trying to decide between Glock 19 4th Gen and Sig P226/229. actually looking into SigPro also just saw it for $450 (new) couple of days ago. besides that i have to consider cost factor since i have one more permit left after this one. decisions decisions ....

Cool, glad the info helped!!!

Some excellent choices your choosing from. Did you get your pistol yet???!!! What did you get???!!!

God that is ugly.... but boy do they work.

When anyone asks the "Which compact 9mm?" question the first and last answer out of my mouth is a G19... and it makes me cringe. I so hate/love that gun.

Good buy and good luck with it. Now go shoot the snot out of it.

• Like 1

just OEM straight out of the box. didnt change anytin yet. will try different setups later on. any recommendations from G-guruz on wat to change/add from the get-go?

Since this is the first generation of glocks with the backstraps, I was wondering how they'd look with them changed. Would they bulge or look narrower with them on.

God that is ugly.... but boy do they work.

When anyone asks the "Which compact 9mm?" question the first and last answer out of my mouth is a G19... and it makes me cringe. I so hate/love that gun.

Good buy and good luck with it. Now go shoot the snot out of it.

Damn right!

First thing you should do, change the sights. XS big dot or trijicon night sights

Second thing is add the extended slide release, that's another must.

Third thing is to get lots and lots of magazines.

Forth thing is to let me shot her, I've got an itch for a Gen 4 RTF!

Damn right!

First thing you should do, change the sights. XS big dot or trijicon night sights

Second thing is add the extended slide release, that's another must.

Third thing is to get lots and lots of magazines.

Forth thing is to let me shot her, I've got an itch for a Gen 4 RTF!

You've got a Gen 1 and Gen 3.... now for 2 and 4?

You've got a Gen 1 and Gen 3.... now for 2 and 4?

Yeah, and?

I wanted the px4 compact but the magazine finger grove is horrible.

Glock19 or PX4 are the best mid-size 9mms out there, period!