Sign in to follow this  
Babaganoosh

How do you load your Mosin

I prefer to hand load. Push 'em in one at a time from the top. Sirsloop prefers to use stripper clips IIRC. Not much point to them for me besides holding the ammo easier. You have to push it in kinda weird then pull the clip out. It doesn't take me that long to hand load 5 rounds.

I load all bolt guns that have an internal magazine like the Mosin from the top with the bolt open, never through the bottom of the magazine. This is regardless of whether I am using stripper clips or not. With practice you can load one round at a time very quickly. Topping of the magazine is also done from the top.

I have two Mosins. One laminated, one not. Awesome gun. Feels great produce an energy of 2,700 ft/lbs with steel core bullets. I ordered some strippers clips but I lost them the same day I received them. They seem to have gotten mixed up somewhere with all my other shooting junk so I never used them. No mater, because I like to savor each and every one of these powerful 7.62x54R cartridges as I load them. I look the cartridge over from every side. I even hold up a magnet to the bullet and watch is stick to the steel core. There is no rushing when I'm shooting 7.62x54R. Its a lot of fun spiting rocks and penetrating heavy steel gauge targets with these badboys.

One more thing to keep in mind while loading the rimmed 7.62x54R cartridges - as you load them you should make sure that the rim of the cartridge goes in front of the one below it. This way you'll avoid the situations when the cartridge is being stuck due to the fact that it's rim is behind the rim of the one below it.

Mosin has an interupter. You most only worry about rimlock when loading the last (top) round. but for stripper clips to load properly one must align all the rims. I used to use clips but they got annoying to keep track of so I just load singly (from the top, of course!)

The bottom really is only to remove the unfired ammo.

Yeah I read that somewhere. Its odd that you can load a few that way quicker than with the strips. I figured there was a trick to the clips. Im sure once you get it everything falls into place.

No issues with stripper clips.

Load the clip... with 4 rounds in the clip pointing straight, take the 5th round by the tip and the body, angle it upwards, as you push down the other 4 into the mag body. You should have no issues loading from stripper clips.