Im looking at the Centurion safe made by Liberty at Lowes , plenty big for me since i dont own any long guns YET , my question is are safes a TAXABLE item in NJ , somewhere i heard they dont tax them in NJ and my other question is does anyone have this safe and what do they think ???

No sales tax on gun safes in NJ. I looked at that safe when I was safe shopping. Looked nice, but I went with the Costco safe that was on sale at the time. Also nice.

ETA

If your situation permits, think about buying a safe that's larger than you need now. As your collection grows, you'll find that your safe won't continue to meet your needs. Also, think about all the other items in your household that can be stored there. My safe keeps my laptops, a couple of camera bodies and some lenses, some external hard drives, important papers, old family photo albums and some other stuff.

No sales tax on gun safes in NJ. I looked at that safe when I was safe shopping. Looked nice, but I went with the Costco safe that was on sale at the time. Also nice.

ETA

If your situation permits, think about buying a safe that's larger than you need now. As your collection grows, you'll find that your safe won't continue to meet your needs. Also, think about all the other items in your household that can be stored there. My safe keeps my laptops, a couple of camera bodies and some lenses, some external hard drives, important papers, old family photo albums and some other stuff.

Cool , thanks for the responce !!

You're welcome. Another thing to keep in mind is that most deliveries are curbside (IDK if Lowes offers installation as an additional service). You'll need to be able to horse it into position wherever you're going to put it.

You're welcome. Another thing to keep in mind is that most deliveries are curbside (IDK if Lowes offers installation as an additional service). You'll need to be able to horse it into position wherever you're going to put it.

Lowe's delivery is a flat $65 charge, and they will put WHATEVER you are getting delivered WHEREVER you want. If OP wants it in his basement, they will bring it in his basement.

Lowe's delivery is a flat $65 charge, and they will put WHATEVER you are getting delivered WHEREVER you want. If OP wants it in his basement, they will bring it in his basement.

Nice. Worth the money if you aren't equipped to hump a 5 or 6 hundred pound safe up or down a narrow stairway.

I purchased a stack-on safe from walmart, 99c shipping on top of a great deal. They didnt "install" it for me, but they carted it into my garage. I got the 10 long gun safe, 150lbs, me and a friend easily moved it up a set of stairs.

I just checked there website, looks like they jacked up the prices since i purchased mine, i spend a flat $300 for the safe, its now up to $389.

X32340239029348

I decided to buy a 21 cubic ft safe for my "hunting rifle, hunting shotgun, and a pistol or two... just in case i buy more" I'm now approaching capacity less than 6 months later. :facepalm:

X32340239029348

I decided to buy a 21 cubic ft safe for my "hunting rifle, hunting shotgun, and a pistol or two... just in case i buy more" I'm now approaching capacity less than 6 months later. :facepalm:

I know the feeling. I still have plenty of shelf space, but the long gun side of the safe is getting tight.

I've learned that a "14 long gun capacity" only refers to guns with paper thin stocks with no optics or bipods hanging off of them. Anything else counts as 2.

I have a question for you guys with safes. Are you all bolting them to the floor, or just leaving them free standing? I think even a 500 pound safe can be carried out by a couple strong guys. I'm just starting to plan for a safe, what type and where / how to place it.

Here's my main dilemma. My bottom floor is concrete and would make a great spot to securely bolt down. But, it's ground floor making it a little too easy to get out the door if they did break it free from the floor.

The other floors are all hardwood, so even if I bolt it down it will be less secure than in concrete. But would be the advantage of having to get it down 2 flights of stairs though.

Just weighing my options, any advice from you experienced people is appreciated.

I have a question for you guys with safes. Are you all bolting them to the floor, or just leaving them free standing? I think even a 500 pound safe can be carried out by a couple strong guys. I'm just starting to plan for a safe, what type and where / how to place it.

Here's my main dilemma. My bottom floor is concrete and would make a great spot to securely bolt down. But, it's ground floor making it a little too easy to get out the door if they did break it free from the floor.

The other floors are all hardwood, so even if I bolt it down it will be less secure than in concrete. But would be the advantage of having to get it down 2 flights of stairs though.

Just weighing my options, any advice from you experienced people is appreciated.

Bolting down to the concrete correctly will make it very difficult if not impossible to move. Bolting it down in a corner with the back against one wall and the side that opens up against another is the safest bet. It will prevent the "bad guys" from being able to pry it open with the safe standing.

Yes - bolt it to the floor. Get something like this from Home Depot to bolt to concrete floor. Mount it in a place that is difficult to get pry bars on it.

Concrete Lag Bolt

They can still slide it down 2 flights of stairs.

That's an awful lot of weight to have in such a small footprint on an upper floor. Might not be an issue, but something to think of.

If you were to bolt it into hardwood floors, then i would suggest bolting the back of the safe to a stud in the wall. I didn't want to put my safe in the basement, so i wound up bolting to hardwood, bolting it to the wall in 2 locations, and adding an addition 150lb's to the floor of the safe.

Me and a couple friends...6 of us to be exact, moved a 1,200 pound pool table last week. So i'm now a firm believer that anything is move able with the man power.

I've been trying to find a company locally to move a safe upstairs if I ordered one... one guy said 500lbs is the max they'd move upstairs without using a rigging company. As much as I'd like to put one upstairs, I'm probably just going to cram one in the garage somewhere.

If you were to bolt it into hardwood floors, then i would suggest bolting the back of the safe to a stud in the wall. I didn't want to put my safe in the basement, so i wound up bolting to hardwood, bolting it to the wall in 2 locations, and adding an addition 150lb's to the floor of the safe.

Me and a couple friends...6 of us to be exact, moved a 1,200 pound pool table last week. So i'm now a firm believer that anything is move able with the man power.

They built the pyramids, didn't they. All it takes is time, ingenuity, and unlimited human labor.

Key thing here, a 20 gun safe, is not really a 20 gun safe... it may be a 20 gun safe if you only have non scoped rifles, however if you have any tactical rifles, such as AR's, AK's, rifles with optics and bipods, or bolt actions with a large bolt turned at an awkward angle.... you can realistically decrease the capacity in half.

there are two ways to buy a safe...

1. Count how many guns you have, and multiply it by 2.

or.

2. Buy a safe based on the capacity you will need 2 years from now based on your purchasing habits.

it is better to buy once, cry once.... then to spend $1500 on a safe... and then having to run out and get another one because you are out of space. Spend the extra $400 or $500 now, and get the largest capacity you can afford/will fit.

Key thing here, a 20 gun safe, is not really a 20 gun safe... it may be a 20 gun safe if you only have non scoped rifles, however if you have any tactical rifles, such as AR's, AK's, rifles with optics and bipods, or bolt actions with a large bolt turned at an awkward angle.... you can realistically decrease the capacity in half.

there are two ways to buy a safe...

1. Count how many guns you have, and multiply it by 2.

or.

2. Buy a safe based on the capacity you will need 2 years from now based on your purchasing habits.

it is better to buy once, cry once.... then to spend $1500 on a safe... and then having to run out and get another one because you are out of space. Spend the extra $400 or $500 now, and get the largest capacity you can afford/will fit.

Absolutely agree here...get the biggest you can afford. You won't have any problems filling it. A larger safe is also more difficult to remove from your house.

When shopping for a safe, buy the biggest, heaviest, thickest safe you can afford. Don't buy anything less than 8 gauge steel (preferably 7 gauge) as they can be defeated with an axe. Cheap safes are made cheaply and are easy to break into; they don't protect worth a damn in my opinion. Don't get something with low-grade fireliner and expect it to protect anything. I've seen pictures of plenty of fire rated safes where documents were stored inside and went up because the internal temp went over 451F. What do you think that kind of heat would do to your guns?

I just spent money on a Sturdy Safe. They're made in the US, heavy gauge steel, excellent fireproofing and they put up tons of videos of them abusing their safes in an attempt to defeat them. If you decide to order one or have questions, call Terry, the owner. He's a nice guy to chat with and even talked me OUT of two upgrades that he said were nice to have but he considered overkill. And he said that knowing that my safe was going to be used for commercial purposes (01 FFL and 03 SOT eventually).