dpas1973

Just got a remington 700 tactical

Just in time to watch the CNBC hatchet job on the Remington 700. :)

Tonight @8pm.

My wife called me this morning and said they already started

the investigation on "The Today Show"- Something about 12 accidental

Deaths and some footage of a SWAT team member and his accidental

dishcharge. Sounds like some sensative trigger work. He just touched the

stock in the prone position and the rifle dishcharged?

umm I just wanted a short segment on it and saw what looked to be LEO and military documenting the gun accidentally going off.. I saw with my own eyes the weapon discharge with finger nowhere near the trigger while the operator was activating the safety.. my g/f said we are probably watching this..

Spoiler alert!!

So far, it seems as if this is poor firearm handling. Yes, there may be an issue with Remington's trigger, but that is not what I am addressing right now. They talk about stories where someones kid gets killed, or their wife gets shot in the stomach, son gets shot in the wrist....each incident while the firearm was being unloaded. Thats POOR firearm handling. The firearm may have accidentally gone off either way, but it would not have killed anybody had they handled the firearm properly.

• Like 1

Spoiler alert!!

So far, it seems as if this is poor firearm handling. Yes, there may be an issue with Remington's trigger, but that is not what I am addressing right now. They talk about stories where someones kid gets killed, or their wife gets shot in the stomach, son gets shot in the wrist....each incident while the firearm was being unloaded. Thats POOR firearm handling. The firearm may have accidentally gone off either way, but it would not have killed anybody had they handled the firearm properly.

+1 & rule #2-Always keep the firearm pointed in a safe direction!

• Like 1

while proper gun control is following all the rules.. I was taught pretty specifically that you keep your finger off the trigger because a gun will not accidentally shoot itself.. this weapon system appears to be an exception.. you could be doing everything right.. not even know that there is someone in your line of fire.. these are bigger hunting round.. if a 308 accidentally goes off unaimed.. there is no telling where that round is going.. so you could potentially do everything right.. and still send a round through someone quite some distance away when the weapon accidentally discharges..

+1 & rule #2-Always keep the firearm pointed in a safe direction!

While I am sure that there are a lot of claims that legitimately are "user error", it seems pretty clear that there is more to the story than that. When I handle a gun, I don't count on its safety. I do count on it not firing without my finger being near the trigger. That changes everything. It means I can never have one in the pipe until I am ready to take the shot. After all, what is a safe direction to point a rifle that can shoot through pretty much anything it is pointed at?

After all, what is a safe direction to point a rifle that can shoot through pretty much anything it is pointed at?

The ground. Yes, ricochets are possible, but I would rather take the chance of a ricochet hitting someone KNOWING that it was not my fault, then always think "well if I didnt point it at the wall, it wouldnt have gone into the next house and hit the neighbor."

While I am sure that there are a lot of claims that legitimately are "user error", it seems pretty clear that there is more to the story than that. When I handle a gun, I don't count on its safety. I do count on it not firing without my finger being near the trigger. That changes everything. It means I can never have one in the pipe until I am ready to take the shot. After all, what is a safe direction to point a rifle that can shoot through pretty much anything it is pointed at?

The Ground. Down. Inside or outside i'd rather it potentially go into my basement and into the concrete floor or ground outside than

it exiting my home and sifting my neighborhood. On the same token I am in total agreement, it should have not even been chambered until ready to discharge. I think like anyother tool or piece of machinery 9 out of 10 times when there is a accident resulting in injury the operator is at fault.

Mistakes due happen and no-one can be completely safe at all times but that false sense of security we get from repatition leaves us open to fault,we become forgetful of the basics and sometimes forget to safety check! Not just firearms. For example whens the last time you checked the tire pressure in the vehicle you drive everyday?

Safety is pushed so much at my job the statistics,assesment,thinking ahead,policies,proper procedure...SAFETY 1st is just burned in my brain!

• Like 1

One thing to consider is that the remy trigger is probably the most f'ed with trigger out there. Lots of kitchen table gunsmiths!!! With that being said, I dont really use the safety on bolt rifles...only in the rare instance of transitioning from one position to another with a hot weapon.