I know i should search, but the wife is working and i have 2 little monsters crawling on me

Can i just keep my ammo in the vehicle if it is locked up, ot is that a nono.

I bought the midway range bag. Any tips on using that for the pistol while traveling. Looking for a way to lock it.

What does everyone store there ammo in. i have an ammo can, but it doesn't seem to be able to throw a lock on it

thanks

I know i should search, but the wife is working and i have 2 little monsters crawling on me

Can i just keep my ammo in the vehicle if it is locked up, ot is that a nono.

I bought the midway range bag. Any tips on using that for the pistol while traveling. Looking for a way to lock it.

What does everyone store there ammo in. i have an ammo can, but it doesn't seem to be able to throw a lock on it

thanks

Legally, there's no issue keeping ammo in the car unless it is hollow point.

I wouldn't do it because of the heat.

I use ammo cans for my ammo. You can rig up locks for some of them. It can also be done on the ones with the small hole in the front you just have to rig it differently.

ammocan1.jpg

ammocan2.jpg

Like Malsua said... there are no legal issues keeping ammunition in your car.

When I'm picking up ammo from Dicks, I usually just throw it in the trunk and lock the trunk.

When I travel to the range, I put my ammo in a Sentry petty cash box that I got from Officemax. The box will fit about 6 boxes of Remington Gun Club loads, and I don't shoot more than 6 rounds of skeet at a time anyway. I'd say it will fit 800 rounds of 9mm if you consolidate the boxes. I think the cashbox was about $20.

Using a lockable cashbox for ammo might be going overboard, but it can't hurt.

I don't think heat or cold affect ammo. How did the armed forces keep their ammo cool in Baghdad and warm in Bastogne. I think the humidity is the killer.

I agree. I suppose I could have put "Environment" being harsh.

Temperature can affect ammo performance. Generally, for each degree above the temperature that the ammo was loaded for, you can experience an increase in velocity of 1.7 fps. So if the ammo is loaded for an average temperature of 72 degrees and it is left in the sunlight to the point where, internally, it reaches 130 degrees (quite realistic) , that is a nominal increase in velocity of 99 fps. Of course the velocity increase is a result of increased pressure. SAAMI specs allow for these kind of temperature variances, so not much channce of a KB - but if you handload (especially using old load data) the chances would be greatly increased.

To really complicate matters, with some powders, the reverse is true - pressure spikes as the temperature drops. More common though is the higher temperature / higher pressure scenario described above.

Paul, I did find reference to military ammunition being loaded based on the theater of operations. The reference was WWII and it was Norma ammunition loaded for use in the arctic climates of Scandanavia. I don't know if ammo bound for the sandbox is loaded specifically for those temperature extremes and doubtful that would be disclosed.

I do agree with Paul in that humidity is probably the larger factor in ammunition performance, when it is stored in an uncontrolled environment.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Guest megaman

During hunting season my ammo never leaves my truck. There have been times where I find a box or two when cleaning out the fishing stuff for the next hunting season.

Same here!

Wish I felt that comfortable living in this state. I went shooting at a match, forgot I had a mag in my pocket on the way home. Pulled over as soon as possible to throw it in the lock box. I hope to someday not even think about things like that.....

Can I leave loaded mags in a locked box on the way to the range?

If I buy ammo it goes on the back seat in the bag it came in. I have not found anything in chapter 39 or 58 that says ammunition has to be locked up unless also transporting a firearm without a lockable trunk.

Can I leave loaded mags in a locked box on the way to the range?

If I buy ammo it goes on the back seat in the bag it came in. I have not found anything in chapter 39 or 58 that says ammunition has to be locked up unless also transporting a firearm without a lockable trunk.

It is my understanding that a loaded mag, is a loaded weapon. I don't think it matters if it is locked up

It is my understanding that a loaded mag, is a loaded weapon. I don't think it matters if it is locked up

Even if locked in a separate box? :icon_rolleyes: That's ridiculous. Oh well I have a speed loader anyway. I was just trying to save my mag springs from more use.

It is not illegal, It is one of the myths on NJ Gun Laws that has prevailed for a generation or two. passed on by interpretations and opinions, not law. I was brought up with that same understanding but have thankfully been proved wrong by others on this forum.