DevsAdvocate

Hearing Protection Thread...

Looking to buy hearing protection, must have:

-Low profile

-Cancel out loud noises while allowing low noises (talking, etc)

-Durable/long battery life (IF electronic)

Also: How do Surfire EP4s stack up vs. electronic hearing protection?

http://www.amazon.com/Surefire-EP4-Sonic-Defender-Protection/product-reviews/B003CWGDKE/ref=cm_cr_dp_hist_1?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=0&filterBy=addOneStar

Generally, muffs will be more effective than all but the most expensive, custom fitted plugs.

I use the cheap (Brownell's ??) electronic muffs on the pistol range, and sometimes double up with plugs inside if the noise is bothering me. For shotgunning, I just use plugs. I mount my guns very high to my cheek, almost under my right ear, and muffs get in the way. Plugs alone seem to work just fine for the trap fields.

YMMV

I really like the Surefire's, but they are not electronic muffs. Voices/sounds are slightly reduced. If you shooting by yourself they are very good. In a class situation you need to put the plug in, canceling there effectiveness from hearing commands.

I think I will start doubling up in my next class with Surefire(unplugged) and Howard Leights.

These cheap Caldwells have been serving me fine

http://www.midwayusa...ctNumber=774928

I have this low profile electronic earmuff's as well. It's just as good as some of the electronic earmuffs that are twice the price. I got this one to hear range commands better and I can also carry a conversation while somebody else is shooting nearby. Uses 2 AAA batteries and quite easy to change. When the batteries go dead, they are just like regular "non-electronic" earmuffs.

I have these...

http://www.sensgard.com/Home

...the SG31 model, rated at NRR31. When I first got them I wasn't sure I liked them. Noises are uniformly reduced, but initially, a gunshot still sounds loud. I think the trick is that the sound waves generated don't have a straight shot at the ear canal. I really like them because they are so unobtrusive and light in weight. Especially nice for shooting long arms.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Another vote for the HLs. I've had a pair for a couple years now and not a single problem. Battery life is good, sound reduction is good, sound amplification is good. Relatively low profile and, for me at least, they don't interfere with a good rifle cheek weld. Nothing bad to say about them at all and for the price you really can't go wrong.

I also have a pair of cheaper Caldwell low profile E-Max muffs that I keep on hand for taking guests to the range. They're no where near as good as the HLs, but, they get the job done.

I also use EP4s quite a bit. They are, IMHO, not suitable for indoor shooting, even with the plug closed. Outdoors, I've worn just the EP4s, and most of the time, they're good enough. That said, 90% of the time, I wear the EP4s unplugged with the HLs over the ears. You can never have too much hearing protection.

If I could only pick one, I'd go with the HLs.

I have the Peltor 6S, and they're OK. I've found the dial for the on/off/volume, while gives very solid feedback when clicked on, can easily be clicked on-- and then next time you go out to the range, you find out one earmuff is dead. People complain about replacing the batteries, which are a pain at first, but I find it to be reasonably easy once you know how to do it. I keep a pair of non-electronic HL, my GI ones, and another pair of ear plugs (doubling using the plugs if I'm indoors). I've considered the MSA Sordins, but I can't justify that cost when I have other things to buy first.

I had custom plugs made for when I ride on the highways (motorcycle)

but they came with a 30db reducer as well. which I use at the range. I normally put on cheap muffs if someone is blasting 44Mag etc.

I got a full hearing exam as a bonus and found that my hearing is great. Thanks Mom for not letting me blare the music as a kid!

I picked up the Howard Leight a few months ago. They're very good for the price and I would definently buy them again. I think I got them on sale at Natchez for an excellent price. They were around $39.00 on sale.

Howard Leight

I am going against the grain, but i love foam plugs. If properly inserted they are highly effective. I honestly cant stand muffs, they always seem to be in the way, especially when shooting a scoped rifle

These cheap Caldwells have been serving me fine

http://www.midwayusa...ctNumber=774928

I have these also. They work great for the $$. Just know that they are very sensitive to electronic interference, like from fluorescent lights. You may hear a slight hum. At least mine do...