tuktuk

the new Attorney General's interpretation of 2C:39-1w. "Assault Firearm" means "Avtomat Kalashnikov Type Semiautomatic Firearms".

Good thing that all but 12 of the listed "assault firearms" don't say something 'type' firearms. :icon_rolleyes::rolleyes:

Enjoy those M1A's, and AR's, they will be next! And soon they will somehow consider the SKS fixed magazine detachable because it can be opened, Garands will become carbines, anything that says 'Bushmaster' and 'rifle' will will count as 2 evil features, etc.

Looking at the bottom of the gas block it sure as hell looks like that thing will accept a bayonet... Most of the "post-ban" guns had the bottom of the Polish/Russian/Romanian stlye blocks rounded off so you could not mount a bayonet.

AK470405___MOJAV_4aef28a91263f.png

It was easy to figure out if a gun was NJ compliant before the sunset of the federal AWB but now since it has expired you need to be seriously careful that the gun you are looking to purchase is indeed "post-ban" compliant. Even some of the ARs out there today, the brakes look just like a danmed flash suppressor.

Regardlesss though, look at the part number... "AK470405" That is a problem. And nothing on their web site indicates that they offer any type of "pre-ban" vs. "post-ban" configurations to meet state laws other than the specific California guns... Could be specific to this group of weapons from this manufacturer but this will only draw fire on the other guns that have been legal in the state for the last 14 years or so...

Looking at the bottom of the gas block it sure as hell looks like that thing will accept a bayonet... Most of the "post-ban" guns had the bottom of the Polish/Russian/Romanian stlye blocks rounded off so you could not mount a bayonet.

AK470405___MOJAV_4aef28a91263f.png

It was easy to figure out if a gun was NJ compliant before the sunset of the federal AWB but now since it has expired you need to be seriously careful that the gun you are looking to purchase is indeed "post-ban" compliant. Even some of the ARs out there today, the brakes look just like a danmed flash suppressor.

Regardlesss though, look at the part number... "AK470405" That is a problem. And nothing on their web site indicates that they offer any type of "pre-ban" vs. "post-ban" configurations to meet state laws other than the specific California guns... Could be specific to this group of weapons from this manufacturer but this will only draw fire on the other guns that have been legal in the state for the last 14 years or so...

there is no bayonet lug on this rifle. it was professionally shaved off. and although the I.O. Inc markets its rifles as an American AKs on the rifle itself there is not indication of it being an AK

IMG_0413.jpg

you can see the up close pix here >>> LINK

there is no bayonet lug on this rifle. it was professionally shaved off. and although the I.O. Inc markets its rifles as an American AKs on the rifle itself there is not indication of it being an AK

you can see the up close pix here >>> LINK

So the crux of the matter then is they are again arguing that a weapon is not illegal predicated upon the essential nature, naming convention or even the usual cosmetic features of the weapon itself per se but upon the marketing and respective literature propagated by the manufacturer... Funny I do not seem to recall seeing that criteria in the NJ assault weapon ban's "substantially identical" clarification issued by the state AG back in 1996...

I said it months ago when they pulled this BS on the AO M1, somebody with standing better sue them to put them in their place or they are just going to keep pulling this crap over and over... Even Corzine's gaggle of nimrods wasn't this absurd. With literally millions of M1 carbines and semi-auto AKs in the hands of average law abiding citizens throughout the US an argument can be made that these weapons are "in common use", protected under the second amendment and can not be banned.

I would further suggest we as a voting block start taking note of Paula Dowd's positions and actions on our issues and we begin to put some pressure on Christie to let him know if she does not go or at least cut the BS out we will not be supporting or voting for him next time around. I know he is fond of saying he does not care if he is a one term Governor but his aspirations are higher and unless he starts getting it right on this issue soon he is cooked if he thinks he can get elected in a national election...

At least that's my 2½¢

well wat we know for sure is that NJSP declared all of I.O. Inc AK style rifles illegal and want ppl to surrender them within 24hrs. i happened to be an owner of I.O. rifle and can tell you that i bought it legally from a NJ store ( Cheyenne Mountain Outfitters ) same as hundreds of ppl across the state. as far as i can determine (also ppl with many years of gun ownership experience in NJ, and again the staff of Cheyenne Mountain Outfitters) this rifle is build in accordance with NJ laws. we dont know why NJSP decided that it is illegal as of yet, but we re hopping to find out soon.

now wat we are collectively thinking >>> this might be a beginning of an attempt by our new AG to make ALL of AK style rifles illegal in NJ. as you know large portions of NJ gun laws are pretty much open to interpretation. unfortunately not our interpretation, but the bureaucrats and dumb politicians. lets hope that they only trying to screw me over :) and none of you guys have to go throw the same process.

Did you return it?

i see saiga sales increasing exponentially very soon. nothing in that dumbass law said you cant buy a saiga and then do an AK conversion. since its still a SAIGA, not an AK.

this is disgusting and scary. it is literally them knocking on your door, forcing you to turn over your guns. where is the NRA during this? 2nd amendment society? GOA? anyone???

i see saiga sales increasing exponentially very soon. nothing in that dumbass law said you cant buy a saiga and then do an AK conversion. since its still a SAIGA, not an AK.

A Saiga is an AK type firearm as described in the law.

• Like 1

A visit would be in order as stated previously.

Scare tactic or truth? The possessor must decide.

the 24hr thing is a scare tactic for sure. but i think if you dont surrender it they will come knocking on the door eventually. and if NJSP picks it up then, of course, you dont get no refund and they just destroy the rifle. another issue >> they probably need to get a warrant to come get it, which is gonna be easy for them since they already have documents with your signature on them stating that you purchased this illegal assault rifle. and thats not even the biggest problem >>> i wud have to tell my wife. that woman is krazy. ever since i gave up my manhood by signing that ketubah, im truly terrified of her :)

I don't really want to sound conspiratorial, but I have to wonder if this isn't a pushback against the recent attention we ourselves are bringing to the shooting community.

Is it even remotely possible that the antis are seeing the beginnings of a mobilization in NJ, and they're pressuring Trenton to assert their authority in ways that directly affect the very portions of the firearms community that they most despise and fear?

Are we finally on their radar, and are they flexing their muscle in an effort to stifle us back into submission?

Another one of those things that make you go hmmmm...

the 24hr thing is a scare tactic for sure. but i think if you dont surrender it they will come knocking on the door eventually. and if NJSP picks it up then, of course, you dont get no refund and they just destroy the rifle. another issue >> they probably need to get a warrant to come get it, which is gonna be easy for them since they already have documents with your signature on them stating that you purchased this illegal assault rifle. and thats not even the biggest problem >>> i wud have to tell my wife. that woman is krazy. ever since i gave up my manhood by signing that ketubah, im truly terrified of her :)

Not only that, but if they come to get them, they're taking them all, and since you're now a criminal by your own admission, well, you know the rest.

this is disgusting and scary. it is literally them knocking on your door, forcing you to turn over your guns. where is the NRA during this? 2nd amendment society? GOA? anyone???

If this is true, then it seemed to have happened might quick. I haven't noticed any mention on this on any other gun forums.

I sent an email to my local shop keep to see if they know the scoop, maybe you should do the same.

If this is really true, we need to band together and start a lawsuit that will go to the supreme court. We will need to start a collective fund to finance a good lawyer. I am friends with some highly influential gun rights activists and be sure I already sent them an email concerning this. If we need to find a plaintiff for the case, I for one would volunteer, and I am sure there would be many more volunteers. This is a call to mobilize and fight for our rights. This is not little stuff, they are starting confiscation which is unconstitutional. Also if we find documentation that states this we need someone to start contacting the news media such as FOX and others that would actually air the story. Lets start bringing some national attention once we have black and white proof.

I've reached out to the few people I know that aren't already on this forum for any more information. I'll post if I hear anything or get any credible information.

A Saiga is an AK type firearm as described in the law.

this law is referring to IO weapons, not RAI saigas. if this is a blanket law, then EVERY 'ak-type' will be illegal, including all the zastavas and whatnot people have on this board. all the posts glennp and vladtapes made with pics of their rifles would be illegal.

I don't really want to sound conspiratorial, but I have to wonder if this isn't a pushback against the recent attention we ourselves are bringing to the shooting community.

Is it even remotely possible that the antis are seeing the beginnings of a mobilization in NJ, and they're pressuring Trenton to assert their authority in ways that directly affect the very portions of the firearms community that they most despise and fear?

Are we finally on their radar, and are they flexing their muscle in an effort to stifle us back into submission?

Another one of those things that make you go hmmmm...

I think your mostly on the right track. I dont think we were the catalyst though. I simply think its a matter of whos sitting the the seats that decide such things right now that are pushing their agenda.

this law is referring to IO weapons, not RAI saigas. if this is a blanket law, then EVERY 'ak-type' will be illegal, including all the zastavas and whatnot people have on this board. all the posts glennp and vladtapes made with pics of their rifles would be illegal.

That's the big concern right now. Is this something specific to IO or is it a broad generalization that will cover anything that even remotely looks like an AK. As far as I can tell, no one knows for sure at the moment. This is all he said - she said till someone gets a definitive answer from the NJSP or the AG... but when have either been definitive on anything? :facepalm:

I don't own any AK47s or "AK type" guns.. I own a Saiga which is a little confusing as it looks like an "AK" but that is where the similarity ends.. it is a Saiga which is not an AK... it is also not "substantially identical to an AK" as defined by the law.. the gun was legally purchased in NJ and I have done nothing modification wise that conflicts with NJ state law regarding firearms..

Dont fall into the trap. Our attitude should really be FU. Your ban is unconstitutional anyway so piss off!!!!

To reiterate:

I said it months ago when they pulled this BS on the AO M1, somebody with standing better sue them to put them in their place or they are just going to keep pulling this crap over and over... With literally millions of M1 carbines and semi-auto AKs in the hands of average law abiding citizens throughout the US an argument can be made that these weapons are "in common use", protected under the second amendment and can not be banned.