Mat

New Guy

Hello everyone. I was i need of finding more about firearm laws and such so i decided to join the forum. I plan on owning a .22 handgun in the near future and only building up my armory from there. Ive been skeet shooting a couple of times and I loved it. My little brother hunts with a friend and i wanted to get into it. I plan on becoming a NJST so I wanted to get some practice with firearms and such. So what better place to learn and ask questions than on a forum? Thanks to everyone in advance.

Welcome to the forum.

Although not needed to purchase a handgun, you should get your FID, Firearms ID Card, if you don't have one. Need it to buy handgun ammo from a store in this state. You will also need a "Permit to Purchase a Handgun and Form of Register" for each hangun you wish to purchase. They are only good for 90 days and then can be extended for 90 days, so don't apply until you are about ready to purchase or they could expire before you use them.

Thanks. So what do i need to do to buy a .22 rimfire handgun when i turn 21 next october?

You can buy a handgun in a private party sale without being 21. My father purchased my first handgun and I bought it from him when I was 20. However, I had to provide the detectives at my police department with the statute information since they weren't aware of it. It can be done though....completely legal. Start the process by applying for your Firearm's ID Card.

You can buy a handgun in a private party sale without being 21. My father purchased my first handgun and I bought it from him when I was 20. However, I had to provide the detectives at my police department with the statute information since they weren't aware of it. It can be done though....completely legal. Start the process by applying for your Firearm's ID Card.

I know that was the law previously, is it still that way?

I thought I saw on a permit or application that you now must be 21 to get a PP. I don't have one handy right now.