Cemeterys Gun Blob

Car Crashes Kill More Cops Than Bullets Due

I suppose it’s a pretty obvious fact: car crashes claim more cops’ lives than felons’ firearms. I imagine that donuts (a.k.a. heart disease) kill more police than bullets as well. Here are the stats [via The Baltimore Sun]: “According to the National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial Fund, as of last week there had been 70 officers killed nationwide in vehicle incidents compared with 54 killed by gunfire in 2010. Crash fatalities among officers were up 49 percent over the same period in 2009. The majority are killed in crashes involving a single moving vehicle.” In other words, cops racing to the scene of the crime, chasing criminals, getting in harm’s way or just plain speeding. It should also be noted that police are notoriously bad at gunfighting. Lucky for them, the bad guys are even worse.

via Truth About Guns > http://thetruthaboutguns.com/2010/12/robert-farago/car-crashes-kill-more-cops-than-bullets/

• Like 5

Well I see cops on cell phones on a daily basis. Not hands free either. Most of them seem to drive like maniacs even when not responding to a call. Both of those things increase their chances of being in an accident. Add in the actual speeding when racing to a scene and you have a recipe for accidents. Speed kills. It's that simple.

More people are killed in accidents then by guns overall though so this isn't a surprising statistic. Just not something I think about on a daily basis

• Like 2

I think NJ should be the first state to take action and ban cruisers. The Assault Cruiser Ban should take place ASAP.

Any Ford Crown Victoria type vehicles should be banned, and any other crown Victoria Type vehicles which are substantially identical.

The evil features list will include any of the followling 2 features: 4 doors, flashing lights and sirens, Police computer, radar gun. In addition any new vehicles shall be limited to 6 cylinders.

• Like 5

I think NJ should be the first state to take action and ban cruisers. The Assault Cruiser Ban should take place ASAP.

Any Ford Crown Victoria type vehicles should be banned, and any other crown Victoria Type vehicles which are substantially identical.

The evil features list will include any of the followling 2 features: 4 doors, flashing lights and sirens, Police computer, radar gun. In addition any new vehicles shall be limited to 6 cylinders.

6? Those high capacity cylinder engines are dangerous!! Make it 4.

• Like 2

There was a terrible accident in Nutley a while back. Belleville police officers were speeding to respond to a "suspicious persons" call back in Belleville.(or so the newspapers said). What they were doing in Nutley at 7am remains a mystery. Both were ejected from the car. I guess they were not wearing seatbelts. I lived quite close to wear the accident happened and I remember they did not have a siren on all I heard was a trememdous impact a few minutes of silence and then the sirens of the responding police and ambulance. A tragic waste of life.

I was hit by a police officer that ran a red light, without responding to a call, a few years ago. It was not that police officers first accident as he has written off a quite few cars. What really pissed me off is after calling the dept for several weeks going on months, to obtain a copy of the police report, they finally gave it up. The report was complete BS and most if not all of it, was lies. My statement as well as the statement of the witnesses was manipulated, changed or just plain left out. I stopped by a wittiness house to talk about it and when I showed them the police report, they were beside themselves. They too knew it was complete bs and their words had been manipulated... just like mine.

I see far to many police officers driving around dangerously but they get away with it. On a daily basis, I see too many cops driving around talking on cell phones as if it were OK. It's not!!! I've even seen police officers (off duty) get behind the wheel of a car drunk as hell and head to another bar for more. That is astonishing.

I almost forgot this one but the other day I was driving and noticed an SUV behind me rapidly approaching. Ocean Township Fire Marshall truck. I was like 4 towns away from Ocean Twshp by the way. The guy was all over the road. I am already driving 10 mph over the limit. He jams into the right lane to pass me on the right. Yapping on his cell phone the whole time. He passed me at least 10-15 mph faster than me. He continued on at the same speed. No signals when he changed lanes at all. Caught up to him at the light and wrote down his plate number. I would have called to complain but A. Lost the slip of paper it was on and B. Realized it wouldnt do a damn thing.

I suppose it’s a pretty obvious fact: car crashes claim more cops’ lives than felons’ firearms. I imagine that donuts (a.k.a. heart disease) kill more police than bullets as well. Here are the stats [via The Baltimore Sun]: “According to the National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial Fund, as of last week there had been 70 officers killed nationwide in vehicle incidents compared with 54 killed by gunfire in 2010. Crash fatalities among officers were up 49 percent over the same period in 2009. The majority are killed in crashes involving a single moving vehicle.” In other words, cops racing to the scene of the crime, chasing criminals, getting in harm’s way or just plain speeding. It should also be noted that police are notoriously bad at gunfighting. Lucky for them, the bad guys are even worse.

via Truth About Guns > http://thetruthaboutguns.com/2010/12/robert-farago/car-crashes-kill-more-cops-than-bullets/

As of today.

Officers killed by automobile accident: 42

Officers killed by gunfire: 54

I think he wrote the #s down wrong read the paragraph above in his post.. 70 not 42...

I would also like to know how many of those 54 were self inflicted? Friendly Fire? and last but most importantly by gunowners who had legally owned those firearms.

I read an article a while back stating most officers shot in the line of duty are shot with their own guns. Resulting from being disarmed when making an arrest.

Any yet police would be exempt from "smart gun technology" under NJ law. I would think they would be the first to embrace it under those circumstances.

Where? What are your sources?

ODMP.

http://www.odmp.org/year.php

I would also like to know how many of those 54 were self inflicted? Friendly Fire? and last but most importantly by gunowners who had legally owned those firearms.

The 54 represents homicides only.

Also, I'm not sure if any of the 54 were by crooks who had legally owned the firearm.

I read an article a while back stating most officers shot in the line of duty are shot with their own guns. Resulting from being disarmed when making an arrest.

Any yet police would be exempt from "smart gun technology" under NJ law. I would think they would be the first to embrace it under those circumstances.

Ummmm, no.

Ummmm, no.

Yeah the technology was originally envisioned for just this reason however law enforcement, like us, realized how stupid it is to have a weapon which is by its very nature primarily designed to not function... They scoffed at the idea and the technology then found a home with the anti-gun crowd as some sort of futuristic sci-fi solution to gun violence.

Unfortunately for us those in law enforcement do not seem to have a problem with us being mandated to use them as long as they are exempt.

This ultimately goes back to the problem I have with the "we're the only ones" mentality. The law should be the law screw the exemption crap. I wouldn't expect a police officer to have to entrust their life with something that I wouldn't entrust mine with.

But how much do you want to bet as soon as the first "smart-gun" is deemed ready for commercial sale and someone breaks that law to buy a good old fashioned, reliable "dumb-gun" because they refuse to entrust their life to the snake oil being forced upon them, one of NJ's finest will be there to slap the cuffs on the poor bastard...

Makes you wonder where the line is, at what point does a law that the enforcers are not required to obey finally cross the line where it becomes so blatantly unconstitutional that it does not get enforced? Is it confiscation of one's property, wealth, self worth, dignity or perhaps their posterity? Surely it is not liberty, most of that is already gone. Is the line finally where the whole of the people united have to stand up and say that is enough? I wish I knew where that line was because unfortunately I can't seem to see it from where we are today...

I once responded to an article in the Nutley Sun written by a local policician extolling the virtues of "smart gun technology". I suggested the research money would be better spent on "smart bathing suit technology" as one is way more likly to drown while swimming then being killed by a gun.

• Like 2

My friends car, which was parked down the shore this past summer was struck by an off duty cop, he was drunk off his a**. The cops wrote the report out to say that the girl, his passenger was driving, and there was no mention of alcohol. What a joke! This guy is gonna get someone killed and the people who should care, dont give a rats A$$.