hopper

Officer K-9 Shultz Killed In The Line Of Duty

I'll admit I didn't read every word of this thread because it seemed pretty redundant. Police officers, from my experience, have attended funerals on their own time so scratch the idea that they were paid while there. Could some of the officers there been on the clock, yes. Likely 99% of them werent. And yes. That includes the bag pipers and honor guard.

What I find most comical about this thread is the pissing and moaning over this and how it effects our taxes and no mention of anything that actually really hurts our wallets. Take a look at your property tax bills boys. Your police department is probably 5% of the entire budget. Start b*tching about the sh*t that really matters.

• Like 1

It's the little leaks that sink the ship. Any debt counselor will tell you that. Starbucks is only $5 a day = that's $1825 per year, or a really really nice 1911. Buying lunch at work is $10 per day = $3650 per year. That can make a nice down payment on a car.

How did Giuliani clean up crime in NYC? He targeted the squeegee men and 42nd street. Funny - once those minor infractions were eliminated, crime dropped across the board.

Wasteful spending is wasteful spending, period. All those pennies add up. And I'm hating across the board - all wasteful spending is offensive to me Steph, each and every penny.

5 guys working OT to remove a downed tree from my sidewalk nearly a week after a storm = more wasteful spending. If it could wait a week, it could wait another day.

Garbage collection 2x a week through the entire year = more wasteful spending - but as per my mayor "We looked at only collecting once a week and it wouldn't save that much." That attitude shows a blatant disregard for the taxpayer dollar.

Five elementary schools all within 3 miles of each other = 4 more school principals than they really need = $400,000 (plus or minus, likely plus or plus)

The "pennies" add up and add up quickly.

• Like 2

It's the little leaks that sink the ship. Any debt counselor will tell you that. Starbucks is only $5 a day = that's $1825 per year, or a really really nice 1911. Buying lunch at work is $10 per day = $3650 per year. That can make a nice down payment on a car.

How did Giuliani clean up crime in NYC? He targeted the squeegee men and 42nd street. Funny - once those minor infractions were eliminated, crime dropped across the board.

Wasteful spending is wasteful spending, period. All those pennies add up. And I'm hating across the board - all wasteful spending is offensive to me Steph, each and every penny.

5 guys working OT to remove a downed tree from my sidewalk nearly a week after a storm = more wasteful spending. If it could wait a week, it could wait another day.

Garbage collection 2x a week through the entire year = more wasteful spending - but as per my mayor "We looked at only collecting once a week and it wouldn't save that much." That attitude shows a blatant disregard for the taxpayer dollar.

Five elementary schools all within 3 miles of each other = 4 more school principals than they really need = $400,000 (plus or minus, likely plus or plus)

The "pennies" add up and add up quickly.

quantify exactly how many pennies this whole production actually cost...

then quantify how much ONE "high ranking" school board official in your town made last year...

then you can argue that it is reasonable to be "angry" about the money spent honoring an officer killed in the line of duty..

and I don't mean to come off in an asshole way or anything.. but seriously.. do we even know the cost..

• Like 1

quantify exactly how many pennies this whole production actually cost...

then quantify how much ONE "high ranking" school board official in your town made last year...

then you can argue that it is reasonable to be "angry" about the money spent honoring an officer killed in the line of duty..

and I don't mean to come off in an asshole way or anything.. but seriously.. do we even know the cost..

I know the costs for a rigging helicopter. Back in the 90's it was $60k per. This I would believe to be less. Regardless. Wasteful spending is wasteful spending - and that's my entire point. Not the amount. It's wasteful, period.

I guess my problem is how this dog is considered an "officer." It was a tool, used in the line of duty. No different than a car or a glock. The tool had a function, taking down badguys, searching for drugs ect. So when the police dog bites a bad guy is that considered assault? I am getting a new truck in the spring. My Dakota now has 519,000 miles on it and it is about time for a new one. I would cordially like to invite everyone to my place when I get rid of it for a nice little ceremony, maybe invite the local HS marching band. I am attached to this truck, it has served me well. So come spring I am going to have a little ceremony saying farewell to "Trucky" and all of NJGF is invited. Maybe I can have some friends at the local airport arrange a little Cessna flyover........

• Like 2

I guess my problem is how this dog is considered an "officer." It was a tool, used in the line of duty. No different than a car or a glock. The tool had a function, taking down badguys, searching for drugs ect. So when the police dog bites a bad guy is that considered assault? I am getting a new truck in the spring. My Dakota now has 519,000 miles on it and it is about time for a new one. I would cordially like to invite everyone to my place when I get rid of it for a nice little ceremony, maybe invite the local HS marching band. I am attached to this truck, it has served me well. So come spring I am going to have a little ceremony saying farewell to "Trucky" and all of NJGF is invited. Maybe I can have some friends at the local airport arrange a little Cessna flyover........

You should have a ceremony for a Dakota that lasted 519,000 miles !!! :icon_lol:

If it were a Ford I'd be there and send flowers. Dodge, no way. :icon_razz::icon_razz:

the difference between a Glock,a car, shotgun.. and a dog.. is a dog is a living creature.. and some people form very strong bonds with animals..

police dogs give complete unwavering support to officers.. the live to serve and defend both officers and the public.. to me a police dogs life is pretty important.... and the amount of service they give is exceptional.. again.. some people just view animals as property... items to be purchased.. used.. replaced.. just an item.. others have a different appreciation.... I respect that you don't see animals in the same light I do... that is where the agree to disagree comes from.. when two people disagree on such a core thing.. there is no way that we will agree.. we just think too differently..

My Dakota now has 519,000 miles on it and it is about time for a new one. I would cordially like to invite everyone to my place when I get rid of it for a nice little ceremony, maybe invite the local HS marching band. I am attached to this truck, it has served me well. So come spring I am going to have a little ceremony saying farewell to "Trucky" and all of NJGF is invited. Maybe I can have some friends at the local airport arrange a little Cessna flyover........

I will be out in my MOPAR uniform. We will find an honor guard and an appropriate flag, fold it as required and present it to you.

djg0770's Auto Funeral Home extends their deepest sympathies to you in your time of grieving. Have you considered preplanning your vehicle funeral? We'd be glad to help you so that your family does not get hit with unexpected costs in their moment of grief. We can discuss burial or cremation, whichever you desire, explaining the advantages of both. Some people have very deep attachments to their cars. They serve their every need, don't poop on the floor or request to be taken for a walk at o-dark-thirty.

:thsmiley_deadhorse:

Though I suppose beating a dead dog would be a better icon.

Eric...you cannot possibly believe that a living animal and a piece of metal have the same value. Seriously? If so then can we also assume you really are indifferent to animal cruelty laws? After all by your logic beating a truck or a dog with a baseball bat is the same thing.

I know the costs for a rigging helicopter. Back in the 90's it was $60k per. This I would believe to be less. Regardless. Wasteful spending is wasteful spending - and that's my entire point. Not the amount. It's wasteful, period.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the helicopter wasn't purchased for this funeral. Just a hunch. I'll also be brazen enough to suggest the pilots were probably going to be out that day anyway.

This was a breathing animal, like all the other officers. He was highly trained and intelligent. He trained harder and longer then most human officers on the PD. He would gladly and sadly did give his life, to protect and serve. Your Glock and truck are inanimate objects.

But hey congrats on getting your Dakota to 519,000 miles, that is an accomplishment. :)

• Like 2

I am just going to keep my mouth shut from now on. I just cant believe how an animal gets more respect than most citizens. I cant comprehend how they think an animal should be held to the same standards as a human. Maybe next time I see a police dog licking his nads, I should ask that he be charged with indecent exposure. Imagine a human cop doing so in public? (that would definately be youtube material-LOL) Until he has the same control and composure as a human, he is just a working animal.

• Like 3

I am just going to keep my mouth shut from now on. I just cant believe how an animal gets more respect than most citizens. I cant comprehend how they think an animal should be held to the same standards as a human. Maybe next time I see a police dog licking his nads, I should ask that he be charged with indecent exposure. Imagine a human cop doing so in public? (that would definately be youtube material-LOL) Until he has the same control and composure as a human, he is just a working animal.

Im doing the same thing. The people talking about well we waste money on this ______ so its ok for this. Just cuz it was wasted on something else doesnt mean its right to waste it on something else. Take care of the pennies and the dollars will take care of themselves.

Like I said, my dog sleeps in my bed with me, I am truly an animal lover. I just don't see the reason for that big of a ceremony. My flame suit has been on since I made a comment on page 1. I got plenty of -1s for that one. Oh well.

PUNCHING OUT!!!!

To continue this thought:

...he is just a working animal who was trained to do exactly what he did. Some genetic predisposition to a given task was identified and exploited through training. The dog didn't choose to do whatever he did, he didn't make a conscious decision to go in harm's way, he didn't decide to sacrifice himself to save others. What he did was simply do what he was trained to do, anticipating some small reward for successfully accomplishing his task, just like he did hundreds of times before. It's disappointing that a valuable asset to law enforcement was lost and that the host family lost a treasured pet, but this wasn't a brave hero, jumping on a grenade to save his brothers. This was simply an animal of perhaps above average intelligence doing exactly what his handlers intended him to do, and that is to go where it was either too dangerous or impossible for humans to go, and to perhaps be lost so that the same fate doesn't befall a human being.

A sad loss to a few people, a loss of a valuable and costly asset, bur certainly not worthy of a "hero's" funeral.

• Like 3

I strongly agree with djg. This ceremony likely cost each of us a couple pennies. But all that adds up. It's not the ceremony, it's the mentality BEHIND the ceremony. Those who think that having a helicopter flyover and 21 gun salute is appropriate for a dog must think that money grows off trees, and that none of us are hurting to keep some of our money.

• Like 2

"We are honoring Schultz as a hero today," Gloucester Township Police Chief Harry Earle said during the service.

This is what disturbs me far more than the money.

When did we start marginalizing the concept of heroism to the extent that it applies to an animal simply doing what it was trained to do? When did being a hero become the guy who managed not to die, the guy who came home, the guy who ate the most hot dogs at the Nathan's 4th of July contest?

This bothers me. When the concept of true heroism is diluted by a dog doing what it's trained to do, how do we recognize the real heroes when they show up? Or do we just redistribute that as well, to the point where anyone who sends their kids to school, chokes down a dozen White Castle burgers, or manages not to die during rush hour is also considered a hero.

I used to know people who were involved in training Golden Retrievers as cadaver dogs, and whenever someone referred to their dogs as heroes, they would tell them that only people can be heroes, and only very few of them. I agree.

• Like 1

This is what disturbs me far more than the money.

When did we start marginalizing the concept of heroism to the extent that it applies to an animal simply doing what it was trained to do? When did being a hero become the guy who managed not to die, the guy who came home, the guy who ate the most hot dogs at the Nathan's 4th of July contest?

Well I consider anyone who served and "managed not to die, and the guy who came home" a hero, as he put his butt on the line. Everyone who serves puts his life out there for our freedoms, no guarantees of coming home. What I don't consider heroes or role models are these sports stars, and movie stars making millions and giving nothing back to society. Just my 2 cents.

• Like 4

By some of the reasoning on here, I guess you should call up the military and tell them to stop honoring dogs killed in the line of duty. Many of these police and military dogs have saved the lives of their handlers and others and you people think it's too much to honor them for the job they've done? If they didn't sacrifice themselves, others would have died.

As far as the helicopter, only the State Police and Newark have helicopters in the state. I don't know if the State Police do flyovers for any funeral, maybe for a trooper, not even sure of that. If one of their helos were used, there is a good chance that it was combined with another mission. In the scheme of things, the cost wouldn't have been that much, especially when compared to the real waste and corruption in this state. Complain about that first, before this.

You may not want to consider Officer Schultz an officer, but all police and military dogs are given credentials and retirements from service, just like their human handlers.

As someone stated earlier, if you were in a collapsed building or some other situation, or maybe your kids were and they were only rescued because of one of these magnificent animals, you might appreciate them for what they are and what they do. And yes, I think a dog who found and saved the life of a lost alzheimers sufferer, or a trapped person that would otherwise have died, a hero.

• Like 3

I have been trying to NOT say anything here but I feel I have to.

After riding NJ transit home from work with all of the 15 year old Justin Beebere fans, or what ever his name is, post concert,. I have have to say.

There are way too many people that have no idea what it is to do anything for anyone. If a dog is showing these nitwits up by working to keep us safe then so be it. I only hope that those little teens and preteens can look at that ceremony and ask themselves, "gee, I am watching E! and crying over some jack a**, and some dog gets a flyover and a 21 gun salute."

I would pray that some 15 year old unglues themsleves from the self-centered narcissism that is modern life to think for a second about their country, or even their state.

If that isn't enough, I hate to say it but I am reminded of the "true" urban legend, as proven by SNOPES, of a jet fighter flyby.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/military/wakeup.asp

There is a reason for a flyby and is isn't so your corpse gets to see an aircraft.

To continue this thought:

...he is just a working animal who was trained to do exactly what he did. Some genetic predisposition to a given task was identified and exploited through training. The dog didn't choose to do whatever he did, he didn't make a conscious decision to go in harm's way, he didn't decide to sacrifice himself to save others. What he did was simply do what he was trained to do, anticipating some small reward for successfully accomplishing his task, just like he did hundreds of times before. It's disappointing that a valuable asset to law enforcement was lost and that the host family lost a treasured pet, but this wasn't a brave hero, jumping on a grenade to save his brothers. This was simply an animal of perhaps above average intelligence doing exactly what his handlers intended him to do, and that is to go where it was either too dangerous or impossible for humans to go, and to perhaps be lost so that the same fate doesn't befall a human being.

A sad loss to a few people, a loss of a valuable and costly asset, bur certainly not worthy of a "hero's" funeral.

Of all the well spoken replies stated here, this is the best. I am also a dog lover and believe that dogs are in fact more honorable than many humans. I also have sincere respect for 95% of those in law enforcement (there are always exceptions), but something in my gut tells me this specific instance was possibly a bit overblown.

Really hesitate to have to say it in this case, but sometimes too much is simply too much.

He wasn't just a dog, he was an officer of the law who gave his life in the line of duty. He should be honored. Besides, dogs are better than most people.

+1

The dog deserves the honor. Besides, the LEO would also agree.

• Like 1

I have been an LEO for over 35 years and to me this was just way over the top, now a couple of politians want to draft a law that makes the killing of a Police dog a mandatory 5 year sentence. This is just pandering to the emotional attachment of pets, I love dogs and would certainly mourn the loss of a dog any dog even one doing its duty, and have during the service seen dogs killled saving there handlers on partol.

Yes the dog was mourned, yes it was thought about, but in the end the handler got another dog and humped on. The dog is trained and pre disposed to act, A human in harms way can flee or fight in the end it is that choice that makes a hero... JMOP

• Like 2

Holly sh!t you guys are stuck on money! How about Honor, pride, respect for the animal that served humans. Its just friggen money. How much do you really think the helo cost to put up that day? My bet is nothing becuase it was well within its flight time budget anyway......

• Like 4