Sign in to follow this  
Bello

whats the deal with not being able to pick up your brass

If I'm shooting with a reloader, like you or Rick, then it's yours. If I'm collecting it, soring it, and organizing it, then I'm making $.

I'm a capitalist, through and through

WTF Ray! I got to pay you and you give it away to Rick? Damn - I need to find a better whore.

Shot at the Bayonne Range tonight, 9mm and 45acp brass was abound! Our reloading brethren got hooked up tonight!

I used to sell it but now with metal prices I get $1.60 lb for it so it goes to the scrap yard.

I don't know where your going bro but your getting ripped off. Clean brass is well over 3 bucks a pound right now. Brass casings are as clean a brass as your gonna find.

I shoot at the Bullet Hole. I've gotten looks a few times, but I always pick up my brass. They will nonchalantley try brushing my brass into another area for pick up, but as soon as I see them coming my way, I start picking up my brass. I normally shoot 5 round strings and immediately start picking up as soon as I'm done w/ my string.

They didn't pay for it

They are not giving me a discount for it.

It's mine!!!

I've never had any problems picking up my own brass or friends that I'm shooting with brass. They did yell at me one day when I asked these 2 punk kids if I could pick up their .223 brass and got yelled at for bothering people about their brass. But as far as myself and friends, they don't say a word.

M

You figure the Bullet Hole has 5 buckets at one time always full of that stuff, and that is a nice chunk of change they make.

Take your brass home gentleman, metal is money!

Actually, Bullet Hole has a little wooden shed next to their store on that little side street / alley (Valley?). In that shed are 3-4 big fullsize garbage cans FULL of brass. Once I was leaving and a range guy opened the shed (it's locked), pulled it from the wall and poured a smaller can of brass into the giant cans. I asked the guy if I could take a picture and he said no, of course, but it was an astounding amount of brass. Had to be several hundred gallons....

Actually, Bullet Hole has a little wooden shed next to their store on that little side street / alley (Valley?). In that shed are 3-4 big fullsize garbage cans FULL of brass. Once I was leaving and a range guy opened the shed (it's locked), pulled it from the wall and poured a smaller can of brass into the giant cans. I asked the guy if I could take a picture and he said no, of course, but it was an astounding amount of brass. Had to be several hundred gallons....

Nothing surprising at all. All ranges sell their brass that's left on the floor for scrap money to help support their business. If they just threw it out, they would be stupid business people. Back in the day BH use to sort the brass and resell it to reloaders but with the price of scrap now it makes no sense for them to invest the time to pay someone to sort it.

M

I understand how some people would like to make money on their spent brass by selling it to the scrap yard, but why not sell it to fellow shooters?

You would be helping out those that reload and the brass would be used again and again.

Think of it as recycling.

I understand how some people would like to make money on their spent brass by selling it to the scrap yard, but why not sell it to fellow shooters?

You would be helping out those that reload and the brass would be used again and again.

Think of it as recycling.

Becuse it is worth more in scrap than it is to sell off by the thousand. I spoke to a guy at a recent PA gun show who was selling it for $25 per 1000 and he was not getting any takers so at $1.75 lb to the scrap yard is where he sells it.

Becuse it is worth more in scrap than it is to sell off by the thousand. I spoke to a guy at a recent PA gun show who was selling it for $25 per 1000 and he was not getting any takers so at $1.75 lb to the scrap yard is where he sells it.

I understand your point, but I much rather help out a fellow shooter and still get a few bucks in the process if possible.

I reload and I know a several other people that do as well. So I look for deals on people selling brass.

I am not posting this for personal gain, but to suggest offering it up to shooters before the selling it to the scrap yard.

I understand your point, but I much rather help out a fellow shooter and still get a few bucks in the process if possible.

I reload and I know a several other people that do as well. So I look for deals on people selling brass.

I am not posting this for personal gain, but to suggest offering it up to shooters before the selling it to the scrap yard.

Not when your unemployed like me and need the money.

...but knowing the cost of ammo if you don't reload and you are unemployed, how can you afford ammo?

STOCKPILE! :icon_mrgreen:

Honestly, if I hadn't been able to get and shoot occasionally, I would have gone nuts long ago. You have to do something you enjoy to offset negativity created by being unemployed. I should know, I'm a pro at being unemployed by now.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

VJ beat me to it. Not my business, but knowing the cost of ammo if you don't reload(not that components are cheap) and you are unemployed, how can you afford ammo?

I don't buy ammo. I reload. I have 30-5 gal buckets of sorted brass that I have collected over the years as well as about 60 lbs of powder and approx 30,000 primers that I stockpiled before I got layed out. That is how I am able to shoot. Any oddball or damaged brass goes to the scrap yard. Last trip got me $216 which I used to buy more componets. That is how I can afford to shoot! STOCKPILE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

Headed to the scrap yard now. Just called and yellow brass is up to $1.95 per lb.

I don't know what yellow brass is or where you go, but in Hudson County clean wire brass is at 3.75 a pound. More for pipe.

I don't know what yellow brass is or where you go, but in Hudson County clean wire brass is at 3.75 a pound. More for pipe.

Not the same as yellow brass. Yellow brass is considered spent cartridge brass.

$216 for 1-5gal bucket if 22 brass and 1-5gal bucket of 9 mm.