civictuner04

coyote hunting questions

now deer season is over for me. on to the next season coyote....never tried hunting them before but gonna take a stab at it. i bought my electronic caller, gun spot light, head mount red spotlight, a tyvek suit for over my regular camo(kinda snow camo), and a box of 12 gauge T shot coyote load. now this is my question in the rule book/guide it says for shotgun no smaller then #4 and no larger than T, does buck shot fall in between 4-t? i know you can shot them with buckshot or slugs while deer hunting, but not during dedicate coyote/fox season, correct???

Has anyone tried hunting coyote or fox how was it?

please help Thanks in advance,

george

As an avid hunter how loves shooting 'dogs' I can tell you that they are tough to hunt. They are predators.

Electronic caller like the spitfire pro works wonders. Camo and no movement are key.

Dont light up the woods too much, just do a scan from time to time.

Start your calling at a low volume as there may be one nearby and if you start off too loud, it will know somethings up and you will never see it. Between 2-4am and around 11am is when I have shot all my dogs.

12ga with some t-shot gets one down at up to 50-60 yards. Turkey shot works well also at a closer range.

Full chokes please!

When you shoot the dog if it does not drop dead right away be prepared for some scary, nasty snarl, bark, scream sounds.

First time I shot one it nearly freaked me out of the woods and back to my car.

They always come in downwind, all the time. Try to set something between you and the dog to make them come out, I use a creek. They come to the other side of the creek, and I shoot them. Dont overdo it on the calling.

I highly encourage you all to get out and blast as many as you can as they really screw up my spring turkey hunts. They eat the turkey's and fawn so they slim the animals down that we love to hunt.

You can also look at the small game section on newjerseyhunter.com to see some more tips.

Not many hunters on this board, but that forum is all hunting, all NJ.

As far as what you do with them after you shoot them. You skin them, and get them made into really warm hats. LOL. Not kidding.

Animal fur is really warm.

Good luck!

John.

Question for those who hunt yotes, I've been told on a few occasions by a few different people including FFL holders that you can hunt cayotes during the day with a rifle here in NJ if your bullets are less than 100 grams. I cant find this in the rulebooks but as the farm i hunt on is very very vast and open I would love it to be true. If it is true can any one tell me where I can find it in writing?

Question for those who hunt yotes, I've been told on a few occasions by a few different people including FFL holders that you can hunt cayotes during the day with a rifle here in NJ if your bullets are less than 100 grams. I cant find this in the rulebooks but as the farm i hunt on is very very vast and open I would love it to be true. If it is true can any one tell me where I can find it in writing?

I dont know this to be true.

If you cant find it in the compendium (NJ fish and game mag)

You can hunt overnight with the $2 permit.

I have only used Tshot

The only rifle legal for coyote is a muzzle loader and during the day only. Must have a rifle permit in addition to the coyote tag and regular hunting license.

The centerfire rifle less than 100 grains thing (if larger than .27 cal.) is for woodchucks.

I used to hear coyote's howling in the Newark Watershed area while dear hunting. Usually close to the end of the day. It was very eerie.

Yea, the first time you hear them it's a little un-nerving. When I am out in AZ at my folks house you hear them howling and making all kinds of noises as the pack close in on a kill.

The one thing thats worse than that is being in the backyard in the hot tube and a mountain lion is making noise on the other side of the retaining wall no more than 10'-15' feet from you.

Harry

are woodchuck and racoon the only game you can use "modern rifles" on?

limited to .22 short for racoons and 100gr bullets if larger then .25 cal?

I just got the book and it makes it a point to tell you about those 2 things but doesn't say for all the other animals.

private property of course.

I have a new animal coming around here at night about once a week. Sounds a like a yote but I'm actually not sure it is. It yips twice and then yips 5 times fast in a serious. Usually for 10 minutes but once for an hour. I never get it on my cameras but I don't have any game cameras out. It's off my property, I live on a small piece of land. I'm going to try to record the sound.