Ghost

Question #26 - Oh the confusion

Welcome to the forum, we welcome trolls. Generally, no one here is qualified to dispense legal advice when it comes to gun laws and applications. The safest thing to do would be to consult a lawyer who is familiar with NJ Gun laws and permitting issues. Good luck in your pursuit.

• Like 2

#26 "Have you ever been attended, treated or observed by any doctor or psychiatrist or at any hospital or mental institution on an inpatient or outpatient basis for any mental or psychiatric condition? If yes, give the name and location

of the doctor, psychiatrist, hospital or institution and the date(s) of such occurrence."

Okay so here is my story I will make it short and sweet:

>>Yes I have seen a psychiatrist and psychologist; Due to depression / Marijuana induced delusions

>> I have stopped smoking marijuana.

>> I will be off the medication soon.

>> No I have not been institutionalized or hospitalized.

My question is... is it necessary to answer YES to Question #26 if it is a private owned practice? Like will the Mental Health Records search find my files?

>>Does the Mental Health Records Search, search my insurance bills and prescriptions?

And if I do answer "yes"... Will my permit be denied?

Whats the best thing to do? Consult a lawyer? Answer No? Answer Yes and get my doctor to send a letter??

Ugh... I have a feeling this is going to be so hard to obtain, and its something that I really want!

All help/advice/thoughts appreciated

~Ghost

Best thing to do is always to talk to a lawyer.

Your visits to a psychiatrist and psychologist could be considered "consultation" rather than treatment.

Best thing to do is always to talk to a lawyer.

Your visits to a psychiatrist and psychologist could be considered "consultation" rather than treatment.

consultation means exactly that, however he was treated, so he is considered an outpatient.

I've told this story before on here as we get this question alot. I forgot when i was applying that a couple years ago i saw a psychologist for about a month in regards to some mild depression. Fast forward 4 years and i totally forgot about it when applying, and answered NO. nothing ever came up and i got my permits.

If i were to do it again, i would put yes. I could have honestly argued to the best of my knowledge that i forgot about it, not really anymore. It's easier to appeal when your honest and denied, much harder to fight it when your caught in a lie.

With private practices it's basically impossible for them to find out either way unless you tell them.

Now what i would do it talk with the officer doing your paperwork, explain the situation. Ultimately they will probably decide based on your psychologist remarks about you, so maybe talk with him/her about it first and decide if owning a firearm is an OK idea for you. I'm sure they will respond better to the PD when they start asking about you and they know whats going on.

Alright, thanks again guys for all of the help, its much appreciated. Hopefully everything works out in the end. I want my Glock 19!!!! ahahah

Good luck bro and good choice!

Alright, thanks again guys for all of the help, its much appreciated. Hopefully everything works out in the end. I want my Glock 19!!!! ahahah

I think it's best your IP be reported to the police for that comment. Enjoy the shiny bracelets complements of NJSP.

I think you should have been wise in your youth and maybe not have done illegal drugs. Maybe then you wouldn't need mental help. I know I'm not the only one questioning whether you should have a firearm with the posts you've made.

Of course, you could also be a trolling tool.

discuss

Mark, I wish I knew how to use these damn laptop thingys and do cool stuff like that!

Too bad I spend all my available off time at the range perfecting my shooting skills!!!!

jk

Troll out