Pizza Bob

Credit Card Hack / Bud's Gun Shop

Just a heads-up from other gun forums. I see Bud's mentioned on this forum quite often. Seems they were recently hacked and some CC info was compromised. If you have purchased anything from Bud's recently, using s CC, you should check your statement for fraudulent charges. Seems that thus far, the majority of these charges are for international air line tickets.

Be careful out there. That is all.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

From what I understand they used a 3rd party company to process the CC transactions, and a bunch of people's information got out. If you've made a purchase from Bud's in the last couple of months it's a good idea to CLOSELY monitor your Card History.

i just had my credit card info stolen and have NO IDEA how it could have happened. i havent ordered from buds but maybe something from someone else that uses their same service. it was a few charges for skype time and international calling cards

Recently several sites have been hacked compromising cc info, social security numbers, and email addresses.. Its always a good idea to check off purchases you've made so that if any of your info is ever compromised you notice asap.. Coming from someone who has already had his bank accounts hacked into.

- justin

I use a Citi credit card that includes a free virtual account number service. Basically you can get on demand a 1-time use cc number that expires in 60 days or after one use.

I use this for every online purchase except some of the recurring charges. Great peace of mind especially with small vendors where you know the number is just scribbled on a paper somewhere.

I bought my ruger last week on Bud's site. I got a call from my CC saying that someone tried to book 2 hotel rooms with comfort inn, 2 airline flights using cheaptickets.com, and a bunch of small charges to some place called "Business Tools" on Thursday. Since the amounts were unusual and plentiful they suspected fraud. They immediately declined the charges and sent me a new card. I contacted Buds since I only use that card for groceries and gas and got an email from them that there system was hacked. It was a pain in the a** but luckily the CC company spotted it immediately and took care of everything for me.

From what I understand they used a 3rd party company to process the CC transactions, and a bunch of people's information got out. If you've made a purchase from Bud's in the last couple of months it's a good idea to CLOSELY monitor your Card History.

Heck, you should be doing that regardless of where you shop.

i just had my credit card info stolen and have NO IDEA how it could have happened. i havent ordered from buds but maybe something from someone else that uses their same service. it was a few charges for skype time and international calling cards

I just got an Email from 1-800FLOWERS about the same thing, stolen Email listing from Epsilon.

Now another notice from Mariott:

Dear Marriott Customer,

We were recently notified by Epsilon, a marketing vendor used by Marriott International, Inc. to manage customer emails, that an unauthorized third party gained access to a number of Epsilon's accounts including Marriott's email list.

In all likelihood, this will not impact you. However, we recommend that you continue to be on the alert for spam emails requesting personal or sensitive information. Please understand and be assured that Marriott does not send emails requesting customers to verify personal information.

I got my notice from Best Buy (part of their Rewards program). What was compromised was email lists:

Dear Valued Best Buy Customer,

On March 31, we were informed by Epsilon, a company we use to send emails to our customers, that files containing the email addresses of some Best Buy customers were accessed without authorization.

We have been assured by Epsilon that the only information that may have been obtained was your email address and that the accessed files did not include any other information. A rigorous assessment by Epsilon determined that no other information is at risk. We are actively investigating to confirm this.

For your security, however, we wanted to call this matter to your attention. We ask that you remain alert to any unusual or suspicious emails. As our experts at Geek Squad would tell you, be very cautious when opening links or attachments from unknown senders.

In keeping with best industry security practices, Best Buy will never ask you to provide or confirm any information, including credit card numbers, unless you are on our secure e-commerce site, www.bestbuy.com. If you receive an email asking for personal information, delete it. It did not come from Best Buy.

Our service provider has reported this incident to the appropriate authorities.

We regret this has taken place and for any inconvenience this may have caused you. We take your privacy very seriously, and we will continue to work diligently to protect your personal information. For more information on keeping your data safe, please visit:

http://www.geeksquad.com/do-it-yourself/tech-tip/six-steps-to-keeping-your-data-safe.aspx.

Sincerely,

Barry Judge

Executive Vice President & Chief Marketing Officer

Best Buy

I didn't realize how huge this epsilon company is. I got a notice from TiVo, Chase, and Target.

Marriott, Hilton, Victoria Secrets, too.

But they said it's just email addresses. The Bud's hack is stolen CC numbers. My cc number was stolen about 6 months ago. Bank sent me an email. I called and they canceled my card, declined all the fraudulent charges (Apple computer and Southwest Airline) and sent me a new card. Pain in the butt to have to change out all my accounts like EZ Pass, Newegg, Amazon, QVC and the like. Some I don't even remember until I get the email from them a month or two later saying the CC was declined because I never updated it.

Check out your CC companies. Many of them offer a one-time card number generator for online purchases. Once the number is used, it self destructs and cannot be used again. Handy for cases such as this.

Of course it would be no good if you want the online retailer to keep your card on file for easier purchasing, or re-occurring bills, etc.

I just found out that my CC was one of those hacked...could have been Buds or Tivo or a hell of a lot of other companies that use Epsilon. Got hit with $200 worth of charges to Microsoft X-Box live service...I dont even have a friggin Xbox. :threaten:

I just found out that my CC was one of those hacked...could have been Buds or Tivo or a hell of a lot of other companies that use Epsilon. Got hit with $200 worth of charges to Microsoft X-Box live service...I dont even have a friggin Xbox. :threaten:

Why don't you just give me your card number now so I can renew my xbox membership and the bank will just write it off as a loss..lol I know how you feel ive been hit multiple times.

I just got a call from Bank of America now... Seems that someone tried to open up a Netflix account with my card. I used it to buy my Cx4 at the end of March. Good job on BoA's part, they voided that transaction, and are sending me a new card.

... And the Netflix charge was only for $8.49. I'm surprised the hacker went with the cheapest plan... :icon_rolleyes:

I just got a call from Bank of America now... Seems that someone tried to open up a Netflix account with my card. I used it to buy my Cx4 at the end of March. Good job on BoA's part, they voided that transaction, and are sending me a new card.

... And the Netflix charge was only for $8.49. I'm surprised the hacker went with the cheapest plan... :icon_rolleyes:

That's a test charge. The scammer will try charging a few small ticket BS items to see if the card works... before moving onto something larger. Usually a type of service that does not require shipping to the cardholder's real address like web hosting, phone cards, netflix (for streaming movies), etc. They still usually go under $300 to try to avoid detection, plus they know the CC company won't waste funds trying to hunt them down.

That's a test charge. The scammer will try charging a few small ticket BS items to see if the card works... before moving onto something larger. Usually a type of service that does not require shipping to the cardholder's real address like web hosting, phone cards, netflix (for streaming movies), etc. They still usually go under $300 to try to avoid detection, plus they know the CC company won't waste funds trying to hunt them down.

Gotcha. At least the bank caught it early then. I probably wouldn't have noticed it until I went online to pay my bill next month.