Gun Guy in NJ

Help me chose a compact 9mm

I am looking at small 9mm for concealed carry in America. I looked at the Rugar LC9 but I don’t like the small safety as I don’t think I could work it when someone is attacking me. I also looked at the Sig P290 but I could not work the trigger without shifting my grip. I am now looking at the Kel-Tek PF-9 Link - PF-9 and the Kahr PM9 Link - PM9. I have not found any place that rents them and I am looking for a gun shop that has them in stock so I can at least hold them.

What are your opinions? Are there other compact 9mm in this size range I should also look at?

Thanks

Tommy T

I have a Walther PPS 9mm. It's slim, has adjustable backstrap and would make a great CCW piece. I have about 1500 failure free rounds through it and it's a great shooter. The trigger was a little gritty when new, but smoothed out after a couple hundred rounds. I saw a used one in Meltzer's the other week and they should have some new ones in Bullet Hole. I brought a couple guys shooting the other week and they both liked it a lot. Check one out - I highly recommend it.

I shot the Kahr PM-9 and had mixed feelings. It definitely was small and slim, because it's a single stack, but I found it almost too small to shoot well. I shot it best with a grip extender, which to me negates the reasons for going with such a small pistol in the first place. I'd really like to shoot the next size up from Kahr, P9 or K9. These seem better size, at least for my hand, and I think they'd be a much better balance of conceal-ability and and shoot-ability. Reliability wise, my experience with the Kahr I've shot, has been 100% over multiple range sessions (with about 200 rounds that I put through it).

CZ P01 (great gun)

Keltec (great price)

Sig 239 (hard to find and pricey)

Walther PPS (much to pricey unless preowned)

I would not buy a Kahr for reasons of ownership.

The Keltec is from an American company that is trying very hard to be imaginitive and cutting edge. Their pocket pistols have improved remarkably in the last few years. They are not "range guns" but defensive guns.

I will acquire one of their guns shortly.

I am looking at small 9mm for concealed carry in America. I looked at the Rugar LC9 but I don’t like the small safety as I don’t think I could work it when someone is attacking me. I also looked at the Sig P290 but I could not work the trigger without shifting my grip. I am now looking at the Kel-Tek PF-9 Link - PF-9 and the Kahr PM9 Link - PM9. I have not found any place that rents them and I am looking for a gun shop that has them in stock so I can at least hold them.

What are your opinions? Are there other compact 9mm in this size range I should also look at?

Thanks

Tommy T

I like the Glock G19 which is the compact version of the G17. The G26 is a sub-compact and I did not like the short handgrip that I couldn't seem to grab with the pinky finger. The G19 is also not very expensive relative to others. Shore Shot in Lakewood has these available as rental guns you can try.

9mm:

Beretta 92FS

Glock 26 - Sub Compact

Glock 17 gen 4 - Full Size

Glock 19 - Compact

Glock 19rtf - Compact Rough Texture Frame

Glock 34 - Competition edition

Sig Sauer P226

Sig Sauer P239

Smith & Wesson MP9

Springfield Armory XD9

Thanks for the suggestions on the “compact” 9mm. It seems I have misused the term. I mean something in the size of the Ruger LC9 or smaller. I guess the term “pocket” might me more appropriate.

My short list is the sig 290, PPS, PM9 and I still have not held the Kel-Tek PF9. I will not buy a Taurus again.

The Sig is kinda wide for pocket use

The PPS is kinda long for pocket use

The Kel-Tec, wait you'll never find one

The Kahr is probably your best choice, although I wouldn't count out Taurus. But that's up to you.