M4BGRINGO

.45 ACP Semi-Auto

Ok, now that I am legal and have my permits I can finally do some shopping! Bought my first-ever gun from Tim on here, a shotgun for Trap/Skeet shooting.

I have my first and second handgun picked-out (thanks to Tim!). Thinking about the third (90 days from now)

I am thinking of a .45 ACP handgun. I have big hands, thinking of a 1911 type gun. I looked at Kimbers site and got lost. They simply have TOO MANY different guns! Not that it's a bad thing, but it gets so confusing..........

This won't be a safe queen, I plan on using it. Would love to hear suggestions and comments about the different .45 handguns out there. I plan on going to Shore Shot in the next few weeks and rent some there to get a feel for different types.

I did shoot a friends Taurus Judge with .45ACP and found it very smooth. Much smoother than his .40 Glock.

Thinking about the third (90 days from now)

Lucky for you, you don't have to wait that long!!

Purchase #1: Day 1.

Purchase #2: Day 31.

Purchase #3: Day 62.

I think it's a wise move to leave 30 days IN BETWEEN each purchase, just to avoid issues.....but you only have 62 days!!!

I'm going to advice steering clear of Kimber, their reliability is not what it used to be, Springfield does a better job at around the same money or less.

I've got about 2 thousand rounds thru my Kimber 1911, with never a hiccup. Not saying they are all like that, but do you own one? Curious because I know several others that do and no issues there either..

I'm going to advice steering clear of Kimber, their reliability is not what it used to be, Springfield does a better job at around the same money or less.

+1. Kimber quality control is not the best. On the other hand, their customer support is supposedly pretty good (no personal experience there). I am not a fan though. Springfield is better on both counts, IMO.

This is true for their low-end brands. High-end items still receive excellent QC.

Customer Service is TOP NOTCH.

Back OT: I'm debating selling my Kimber TLE/RL II... I want to get a different 'beater' 1911, and could use the proceeds from the sale to fund my AK build.

I have a .45 I'm selling, you're more that welcome to put a few downrange if you'd like I'm in the shore shot/BA area just to get a feel for it, not a true 1911 but 1911-esque SW 4506 just let me know

I've got about 2 thousand rounds thru my Kimber 1911, with never a hiccup. Not saying they are all like that, but do you own one? Curious because I know several others that do and no issues there either..

No I don't own one, I've just seen lots of them fail. Indeed their higher end models work better, and I'm sure plenty of them lower end ones work fine too. Its just that from all the factory 1911s I see, the Kimbers fail most. Mostly it seems to be feeding/extraction/ejection issues. I haven't played with broken ones a lot, but the couple I tried to diagnose for their owners seemed to have crummy extractors (which can account for all the 3 symptoms).

No I don't own one, I've just seen lots of them fail. Indeed their higher end models work better, and I'm sure plenty of them lower end ones work fine too. Its just that from all the factory 1911s I see, the Kimbers fail most. Mostly it seems to be feeding/extraction/ejection issues. I haven't played with broken ones a lot, but the couple I tried to diagnose for their owners seemed to have crummy extractors (which can account for all the 3 symptoms).

Kimber had issues with external extractors, hence the move away from them in their latest generation.

Try to handle as many different guns in 45acp. the polymers, the 1911's, 2011's, and whatever else. Once you decide which one works best for you, let us know and we can take this further.

I drink kool-aid and my kool-aid taste like a 1911 from STI.

Anyone know how much a box of .45acp at Shoreshot is to use in a rental gun?

I know i saw them giving everyone fiocchi who rented yesterday. Online its like $18-25 / 50. im sure they have a little mark-up in it

I remember 9mm being somewhere around 28 bucks a box for nonmembers. So prob at least 30?

Is there that much of a markup? I bought a box of 9mm for like $15-16 as a member. Usually non-member pricing is just $2-3 bucks more.

I am partial to 1911's with a Sig P220 second. Third is a CZ 97 and a XD45 tied.

+1 How much do you want to spend? S&W makes nice 1911s. Pro Series are real nice.

Tim and I both have Sig 220s. I just got a S&W Pro Series 1911 in .45acp.

I plan to be at Brick Armory tomorrow night with the S&W. I could bring the Sig 220 as well if you can make it and would like to try it.

my kimber has seen over three thousand rounds and I have not had a problem with the gun Id highly reccomend a Kinber.

It's funny. I was doing Google searches on this topic. I kept coming up with "MIMber". Looking further, I see it's because Kimbers have a goodly amount of MIM parts in them. And somebody on the 1911Forums has a signature that says "You could tape a dollar bill to a Kimber and I still wouldn't take it". Funny stuff. There's probably someone else that has the same quotes about most other mid priced 1911 brands.

It's funny. I was doing Google searches on this topic. I kept coming up with "MIMber". Looking further, I see it's because Kimbers have a goodly amount of MIM parts in them. And somebody on the 1911Forums has a signature that says "You could tape a dollar bill to a Kimber and I still wouldn't take it". Funny stuff. There's probably someone else that has the same quotes about most other mid priced 1911 brands.

I searched for that, but couldn't find any links. :icon_e_confused: