Remington

Cherry Ridge

This past month has pretty much sucked. Either the range was flooded or closed for activities. At least I got there last Sunday. Although it was sign up day, It was still great shooting in the morning. I'll be fuming if it rains next weekend. I guess it's BH Sat morning.

Thanks for the heads up Pete.

I agree. It's been a pain recently.

I'm probably going to pistols on Sunday just because I'm getting rusty.

Give me a buzz when you go up there. I'll shoot with you, bend your ear and clean-up your brass. See, I'm a brass whore, talker and lousey shot!

Man! People call me a brass whore! Leave your brass in a pile next to the garbage can for a reloader. I was at the range today and it was a nice day. Shot a little bit at the pistol range. The Range Officer was a really nice guy and we had a chat. They are way better than they used to be. Strict and firm but polite.

Man! People call me a brass whore! Leave your brass in a pile next to the garbage can for a reloader. I was at the range today and it was a nice day. Shot a little bit at the pistol range. The Range Officer was a really nice guy and we had a chat. They are way better than they used to be. Strict and firm but polite.

Troy and I were at Pistols from noon to 1. The line was fairly crowded when we got there but cleared out a little bit.

I didn't see any of the guys I know ROing pistols but the guy who was calling it is someone I've seen before. Not sure if he's an RO or just a shooter.

Yes - I pick up lots of brass at CR - thanks Pete. Hey - I should be there Sat morning shooting and collecting.

I think you have more brass than Winchester, seriously.

Troy and I were at Pistols from noon to 1. The line was fairly crowded when we got there but cleared out a little bit.

I didn't see any of the guys I know ROing pistols but the guy who was calling it is someone I've seen before. Not sure if he's an RO or just a shooter.

I must have just missed you guys. It was a bit crowded but a good crowd and the RO ran things smoothly. A CR meet up sounds like fun. I need to show off the toys.

Got up to CR yesterday afternoon with enough time to leisurely make my way around for the first time. What a gorgeous day, and my birthday to boot! Spent a half hour at the 100 yard range working with my 10/22 from 50 yards. I'm going to need to figure out what kind of targets to use. I was shooting at about 2" Shoot N C's on white paper, and I couldn't see where my bullets were hitting. I think I need to get some of the 6" or 8" ones.

From there I moved over to the silhouette range for 20 minutes or so of plinking. Looks like they could use some more targets in there. There was no one else around, so I was able to move among different stations.

Then it was over to the handgun range, where I spent over an hour and a half. I had the place to myself until the last 15-20 minutes when a couple of other guys arrived. It was great! I was able to go out and change targets whenever I wanted. (I'm somewhat spoiled from The Bullet Hole, where targets and distances can be changed at will.) I even tried some 50 yard shooting, which I would probably never do if anyone else were around; partly because I'm so bad at it, and partly because I wouldn't want to persist with it for an entire half hour between cease fires. I asked one of the guys if he was on NJGF, but he had no idea what I was talking about, so I suggested he check us out. :)

Was anyone there yesterday? Kind of a crappy day. I made it up there late in the afternoon. Dying to try out my new 6" and 12" Shoot N C's. Just missed the 5:00 ceasefire, so headed over to the silo range to kill a little time. Noticed that they rebuilt a few of the tables over there, but it still looks like they could use some more targets.

Headed over to the 100 yard range to shoot my 10/22 at 50 yards for a little while. Those SNC's are great, but with the overcast, I still needed binocs to see them. Gathered my stuff just before the lights went on, then dashed out to grab my target stand before scooting home to meet my GF for dinner. BTW, I think my stand, even though it's new, must have termites or something, because some of the wood looks like it's been chewed up. ;)

Just missed the 5:00 ceasefire, so headed over to the silo range to kill a little time. Noticed that they rebuilt a few of the tables over there, but it still looks like they could use some more targets.

Dunno if anyone has mentioned this to you, but, you can bring your own spinners and what not to the silo range.

Dunno if anyone has mentioned this to you, but, you can bring your own spinners and what not to the silo range.

Thanks for your note. I was unware of that. Excuse my ignorance, because this is still pretty new to me, but do you just try to get everyone to stop shooting for a minute while you run out there and place them; or save them for days when no one

is around? Would it be appropriate to buy some and leave them out there as a donation?

Siderman, nice job on those tables!

Wasn't sure if I would like it up there, given the convenience of the Bullet Hole for moving and changing targets; but it's a beautiful setting, and it's nice to just shoot and shoot until you either run out of time or ammo.

In my experience, the silo range is the least "formal" of all the ranges... so more often than not, if someone new shows up, the people that are shooting will usually call a cease fire within 5 minutes of the new shooter showing up. If for some reason they don't just walk over to them and ask for a cease fire.

In my experience, the silo range is the least "formal" of all the ranges... so more often than not, if someone new shows up, the people that are shooting will usually call a cease fire within 5 minutes of the new shooter showing up. If for some reason they don't just walk over to them and ask for a cease fire.

Yea - make sure you call a cease fire first. I saw a guy start to walk out to put up a target while the pistol range was hot on Saturday. The same guy sat down and started loading his gun when the range was cold and people were still changing targets. :facepalm:

Yea - make sure you call a cease fire first. I saw a guy start to walk out to put up a target while the pistol range was hot on Saturday. The same guy sat down and started loading his gun when the range was cold and people were still changing targets. :facepalm:

Guy should have been tossed out for the day and told we don't do that stuff here and if you know a range that allows that, please let us all know where it is so we can avoid it.

Harry

Took a lunch hour run to CR for some time at the Pistol Range. The neighboring rifle range was pretty busy but there were only a handful of people at the pistol range. It was such a beautiful day despite being a little hot. Regardless I had fun and enjoyed the short time I spent there. I put a few boxes through the p226 and was pleased with my new steel guide rod and Slide Glide lube. I'll take a look at the slide wear once I get home and do a full cleaning. Overall I am very happy with my decision to join CR so far the ranges have been fun to use and the people have been very cordial. I always seem to run into an older gentlemen who has been tinkering with his vintage 1911 and end up speaking to him for quite a while.

I saw a guy start to walk out to put up a target while the pistol range was hot on Saturday. The same guy sat down and started loading his gun when the range was cold and people were still changing targets. :facepalm:

I was up at the SG range one time last year unloading my thrower and a guy drove up and said "Where is the Pistol Range, I want to shoot my Gun". I said "You have to be a member to shoot". "Yeah, yeah, I'm a member, which way?"

So I pointed. I called for clays and said something to Scott, but I never heard back. Probably the same type of person.

What's the best way to address the range procedures when you see something that isn't right? Just say something and hope the person takes it in the spirit it was given? Or being safe is safe and say what has to be said regardless? For example the range went safe and someone went up to their table and started to load their mags and touch whatever else was on the table. I knew everyone was supposed to behind the line (unless addressing their targets) but I didn't say anything. I suppose it's partly because I am still very new and getting my confidence with the rules etc. My first day there I made the mistake of stepping in front of the line but was quickly corrected by the RO who was driving by and I haven't made the mistake again.

Ha! I was one of the guys on the 100 range today around lunchtime enjoying the weather. Then went to the pistol range which was practically empty and had one of "those" guys there. The one who is always oblivious to everyone waiting to go cold. Same guy called the line hot before I even got off the grass! Other guy looks at me , shakes his head and we both chuckle a bit then I walked near him and gave a big throw-out of the arms like in "WTF!". Later when it was his time to leave he yells line cold, hits the lights after 5 seconds and walks out as the two guys next to me are still messing with there guns. I yell yo yo at the idiot who was a good 15-20 feet out there and the two guys barely flag the guns and jump back! Good riddence and he was an older fellow too, shoulda known better. Two guys next to me maybe were new and looked at me a little bewildered. I said it was the idiots fault and not them.I too was talking to Scott today and the price of clays came up- cheap! Might have to take up shooting them now. just gotta figure out the shotgun scene now.So many guns to get, so little money :icon_e_sad:

I was up there today as well, but a little later. Didn't get there until around 3:00, because I had to make a trip to Meltzer's first to pick up my new S&W 15-22. Spent a couple of hours at the 100 yard range trying it out, and playing around with my Ruger 10-22. Those Tech Sights are amazing! I was able to find a 12" target with some consistency at 100 yards. Mind you, I wasn't shooting bullseyes, but I was putting a lot of marks on my Shoot N C's. Not as successful with the 15-22 yet.

Spoke with a couple of guys who seemed experienced. Mentioned NJGF, but so far have not found anyone who has heard of it.

Are we really such a small group? Anyway, hope to run into some of you guys before too long.

What's the best way to address the range procedures when you see something that isn't right? Just say something and hope the person takes it in the spirit it was given? Or being safe is safe and say what has to be said regardless? For example the range went safe and someone went up to their table and started to load their mags and touch whatever else was on the table. I knew everyone was supposed to behind the line (unless addressing their targets) but I didn't say anything. I suppose it's partly because I am still very new and getting my confidence with the rules etc. My first day there I made the mistake of stepping in front of the line but was quickly corrected by the RO who was driving by and I haven't made the mistake again.

Everyone is responsible for keeping the line safe. Most of the time, a person just momentarily forgets that he shouldn't go near the bench when the line is cold. As soon as you say something he'll say "sorry - I know." I haven't seen anyone with an attitude when they are reminded of the rules in an adult manner. There's no need to be condescending or disrespectful to someone as I've seen at other ranges. Everyone sits through the orientation so a quick reminder is usually what it takes.

Personally, I think that they should, when asking if they can get a target change, say "Flags in!" then announce "line is cold."

I have been shooting, someone asks if they can get a change and they got the lights going before I even have the mag out.

Had another great day at CR today. I managed to squeeze in this morning around 10 before things got super crowded at the pistol range at noon. Then I made way over to the .22 range for the first time to get some rounds in with my new .22 conversion kit. Somehow I managed to lay my arm on a hot shell at the table and burn myself and have a nice blister there to remind me to pay better attention next time. It's hard to beat CR on a beautiful summer day.

anyone know anything about the hunter safety on september 10th? is it shotgun, bow, rifle or all 3?

Typically CR is all three. NJ Fish and Wildlife doesn't post the signup schedule beyond the current month. Have you done the home study course yet? Do you have the DVD?