Duppie

Inexpensive but reliable .22 pistol for the range.

Gentlemen.

After some thought,a little research and quite a bit of ammo I have decided to purchase a .22 pistol to improve my technique,accuracy and to take advantage of the low cost of ammo. I realize that there will be some of you that argue that being proficient with a .22 will not necessarily make you a crack shot with larger calibers or heavier guns but basically I want to be able to enjoy the mechanics of shooting and lessen the cost factor of larger rounds.

What are my choices? am I better off with a revolver or semi auto?What are your favorites?

What are my choices? am I better off with a revolver or semi auto?What are your favorites?

Quality semi autos (Ruger, S&W, etc) are usually much less expensive than a revolver of the same quality. You can almost buy 2 Ruger 22 Autos for the price of a K frame. However if you want to work on your DA revolver technique a K frame S&W is hard to beat. A good 22 SA revolver like a Ruger is another option.

My favorites are:

Ruger Auto (just about any one)

S&W 617 (for a DA revolver)

Ruger Single Six (for a SA revolver)

Any one of these can become a family heirloom if you keep it.

Gentlemen.

After some thought,a little research and quite a bit of ammo I have decided to purchase a .22 pistol to improve my technique,accuracy and to take advantage of the low cost of ammo. I realize that there will be some of you that argue that being proficient with a .22 will not necessarily make you a crack shot with larger calibers or heavier guns but basically I want to be able to enjoy the mechanics of shooting and lessen the cost factor of larger rounds.

If you want the benefit of shooting a "heavier" gun with cheaper .22 ammo, have you thought about a .22 conversion kit? You don't have to waste a pistol permit and can swap calibers quickly at the range. There are a few manufacturers out there for the most common handguns, if you happen to have one already.

i like the sig mosquito...

You might be the only one. The Sig Mosquito is one firearm I have literally never heard a good word about, until now. Maybe if you find the right ammo it's OK.

If you want the benefit of shooting a "heavier" gun with cheaper .22 ammo, have you thought about a .22 conversion kit? You don't have to waste a pistol permit and can swap calibers quickly at the range. There are a few manufacturers out there for the most common handguns, if you happen to have one already.

Oddly enough I own a Sig p250 9mm which has the option of the .22 conversion without having to get another permit but after calculating the cost of the conversion kit,and mags I would be better off just buying a stand alone .22.

I bought a .22 conversion for my beretta. It shoots very well but leaves the frame dirty as all hell. I shot about 250 rounds thru it and the frame looked like I shot 1000 rounds of 9mm thru it. That .22 grit was everywhere in my gun.

That being said I kinda like it. I'm using it to practice for uspsa since it will fit right in my holster.

Aside from everyone talking bad about it, much of it because they have 'heard' it all and never shot it themselves, I love my P22. It's accurate enough for me, and it's really fun to shoot. I like the fact that it doesn't look like a honky .22 (Buckmark, MK III, Neos all look funny to me). It's easy to strip and has never given me any problems.

I'd say shoot a few, if you can't at least handle a couple, and then go from there.

I bought a .22 conversion for my beretta. It shoots very well but leaves the frame dirty as all hell. I shot about 250 rounds thru it and the frame looked like I shot 1000 rounds of 9mm thru it. That .22 grit was everywhere in my gun.

That being said I kinda like it. I'm using it to practice for uspsa since it will fit right in my holster.

What ammo are you using? I've stopped using Remington 22lr bulk ammo because they're dirty/gritty. I've been using CCi Minimag, Winchester and Federal bulk ammo and these are much cleaner.

What ammo are you using? I've stopped using Remington 22lr bulk ammo because they're dirty/gritty. I've been using CCi Minimag, Winchester and Federal bulk ammo and these are much cleaner.

Been using CCI minimags. Also a box of CCI that have a 1640 fps rating. Both worked well.

I don't like the Remington Golden Bullets at all, but they are cheap. Hopefully when I get a dedicated .22 it will run with the golden bullets since they are cheap.

Thank you for all your advice, as I read it a semi auto is more cost effective and upgradeable but there is some questions about break down and cleaning. Also there appears to be an intrinsic issue with .22 ammo and the build up of residue. Am I correct so far?

Buds has a Browning Buck Mark SS promo with FO sights and 3 mags for $386.00.... Good deal or not a good deal ? and what are the issues with stripping and cleaning?

Ruger MK III 22/45.

Inexpensive - check

Accurate - check

Reliable - check

It is a little tricky to break down/re-assemble. By tricky I mean that you kinda have to use the manual when you do it. At least I do and I never have to look at a manual for any of my other guns. Then again I rarely clean it. It runs for several Remington Thunderbolt 500 round bricks before it needs cleaning. It eats all the crappiest POS ammo I feed it. It occasionally misfeeds HP ammo.

Thank you for all your advice, as I read it a semi auto is more cost effective and upgradeable ...

I am not sure how you arrived at those conclusions. Cost effective is really difficult to measure.. and if anything I would go the other way and say revolvers are more cost effective. They require less cleaning/maintenence and you will shoot less due to lower capacities and longer reloads and probably a desire to shoot single action. They are much cleaner than a semi auto also.

For upgrades, not really a difference. Both can take optics if you so desire. There are tons of grips out there for K frame revolvers too. I also dont see any truth to that argument.

Revolvers are going to work for SURE with ANY .22 ammo you put in them (even shorts...)

I am not sure how you arrived at those conclusions. Cost effective is really difficult to measure.. and if anything I would go the other way and say revolvers are more cost effective. They require less cleaning/maintenence and you will shoot less due to lower capacities and longer reloads and probably a desire to shoot single action. They are much cleaner than a semi auto also.

For upgrades, not really a difference. Both can take optics if you so desire. There are tons of grips out there for K frame revolvers too. I also dont see any truth to that argument.

Revolvers are going to work for SURE with ANY .22 ammo you put in them (even shorts...)

Perhaps cost effective was the wrong choice of words. inexpensive to buy might be better. I would like to save my resources when I buy another revolver for a S&W 686 so I guess I'll focus my search to a semi auto.

... I would like to save my resources if buying another revolver for a S&W 686...

Ah, I understand. Hey, the 686 is sweet. Load yourself up (or buy) some 148 grain hollow base wadcutters. They seriously kick barely more than a .22 and are SUPER accurate and punch perfect holes in the paper...easy to see and score. If that is in your plan you may want to consider skipping the 22 since the 686 with those rounds will be just as awesome of a teaching tool.

.22: Pros

Cheap

accurate

low recoil

Cons:

limited to .22

gets less and less fun

dirty!

686: Pros

Accurate

Low recoil

Much more versitile with ammo (.38/.357)

..You want to get it later on anyways

Cons:

A little more pricey on ammo

• Like 1

My recommendation is a Ruger MkIII. Well actually it is a Ruger MkII but those are getting harder to find even used. The good news is that a used Ruger MkII should be around $200 and unless it was used as boat anchor A LOT it will probably still work. Yes, Rugers are hard to clean, but they work even when extremely dirty so it isn't that big of an issue.

The Buckmark is also a good option, and much easier to clean.

The Mosquito my wife bought for herself because it was pink has been a dog. At some point I had enough and took it apart, removed all flashing from casting in the gun and magazines, polished all contact surfaces, and ran 1000 rounds through it in one day to make sure it is well broken in. Now it finally works, but I'm for from the only person who has seen problems with them. In theory, the new plastic mags are better then the older metal ones and a lot of the problems where mag induced.

Ah, I understand. Hey, the 686 is sweet. Load yourself up (or buy) some 148 grain hollow base wadcutters. They seriously kick barely more than a .22 and are SUPER accurate and punch perfect holes in the paper...easy to see and score. If that is in your plan you may want to consider skipping the 22 since the 686 with those rounds will be just as awesome of a teaching tool.

So you will also understand that a purchase far north of $500.00 is going to be hard to justify to my wife just yet considering the 2 guns,ammo and gear I've accumulated in the past 4 months.

The 686 has got to be, IMHO the smoothest, sexiest and most sensual gun I have ever fired and I fell in love immediately but that is a love that has to be nurtured and I'm not ready quite yet.

So you will also understand that a purchase far north of $500.00 is going to be hard to justify to my wife just yet considering the 2 guns,ammo and gear I've accumulated in the past 4 months.

The 686 has got to be, IMHO the smoothest, sexiest and most sensual gun I have ever fired and I fell in love immediately but that is a love that has to be nurtured and I'm not ready quite yet.

Yeah but the 686 AFTER the purchase of a .22....is still far more than just the 686, just sayin :p

Yeah but the 686 AFTER the purchase of a .22....is still far more than just the 686, just sayin :p

Then there is the school of thought, get the 686 shoot it a while and then say, this is getting expensive, I should get a 22 to SAVE MONEY... :sarcastichand:

Harry

Justifying a .22 "So both of us can improve our technique" is far easier that "Honey.... we need another .357 but this one is sexier". I'm good but she's caugth on to my lines over the years.

nono, thats when you reload :icon_mrgreen:

You don't actually save money reloading. It just allows you to shoot more for the same money.

Saving money by reloading what you tell the spouse, unless she knows you well enough to know better.:)