HuntingPaper

NJ prosecutors not allowed to carry on retirement.

I think this former county prosecutors should join the SAF lawsuit...

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2011/05/nj_county_state_prosecutors_no.html

TRENTON — County and state prosecutors are not considered law enforcement officers under New Jersey’s strict gun laws that allow retired cops to carry weapons, an appellate panel ruled today.

The decision by the three-judge panel upholds a lower court’s finding that Giles Casaleggio, a former assistant prosecutor in Union, Passaic and Morris counties before becoming a deputy attorney general, does not qualify for a gun permit as a retired law enforcement officer.

The court said New Jersey law says specifically that deputy attorneys general and assistant prosecutors can carry weapons while holding those jobs, but says nothing about after they retire.

"Unlike police officers and investigators, both assistant prosecutors and deputy attorneys general are ‘lawyers first and foremost’ whose ‘essential responsibility is to provide legal advice,’ " the court wrote, referring to the statement accompanying the Senate bill creating the law in 1996. "Their primary duty ‘is to perform legal services in connection with law enforcement.’ ’’

Casaleggio contends that he is entitled to a gun permit under the Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act of 2004 that recognizes law enforcement officers and their families can face risks to their safety, even after their retirement, from vindictive criminals whom they prosecuted.

"He believes that the statute afford him that opportunity,’’ said his attorney, Frank Pisano III. "Like any other prosecutor, he’s locked up some people in the past who may come up for parole now.’’

Pisano said his client has not received any threats to his life. Had that been the case, he said, Casaleggio would have been able to apply for a gun permit through a different method.

The lawyer said New Jersey’s strict gun laws require him to show an urgent need for self-protection, that he was subject to substantial threat of serious bodily injury and that carrying a weapon would reduce that threat.

He said that was "a very difficult standard to meet."

Casaleggio, who is now a professor of criminal justice at St. John’s University, has not decided whether to appeal the decision to the state Supreme Court, Pisano said.

Peter Aseltine, a spokesman for the state attorney general’s office, said he is not aware of any retired deputy attorneys general or assistant prosecutors who have been issued handgun permits based on their former jobs.

Got to read those public comments at the bottom of the article. For one, PrincetonLiberal thinks Christie is "pro gun".

No he doesn't. He was being sarcastic. Here's his comment, in total: I'm so sure that Chris Christie being pro gun will pass laws so that all legal citizens will be able to carry concealed (CCW). If you believe that I have a bridge for you to buy. IF I remember right, 34 states have CCW but not in the liberal blue state of Jersey. Open a can of Jersey Republican and out comes a Democrat and gun control nut.

The comments that bother me are the ones who thinks police are special.

Pisano said his client has not received any threats to his life. Had that been the case, he said, Casaleggio would have been able to apply for a gun permit through a different method.

.....And he still would have been denied :banghead:

The lawyer said New Jersey’s strict gun laws require him to show an urgent need for self-protection, that he was subject to substantial threat of serious bodily injury and that carrying a weapon would reduce that threat.

:sarcastichand::rofl: ....You would think these dumb assess have been living under a rock there whole life..

What they hell permits them to carry when in office let alone retirement?? That is under NJ's current BS system of carry permits...

.....Do you even know what they do? They make arrests. They go knocking on strangers houses. They're out late at night chasing leads. Why SHOULDN'T they carry?

• Like 1

There is a difference between a lawyer and a prosecuting attorney.

prosecuting attorney 

–the public officer in a county, district, or other jurisdiction charged with carrying on the prosecution in criminal proceedings.

lawyer   

-a person whose profession is to represent clients in a court of law or to advise or act for clients in other legal matters.

The prosecutors office is a government entity. People who work in the prosecutors office make arrests.

No he doesn't. He was being sarcastic. Here's his comment, in total: I'm so sure that Chris Christie being pro gun will pass laws so that all legal citizens will be able to carry concealed (CCW). If you believe that I have a bridge for you to buy. IF I remember right, 34 states have CCW but not in the liberal blue state of Jersey. Open a can of Jersey Republican and out comes a Democrat and gun control nut.

The comments that bother me are the ones who thinks police are special.

I know those are not your words but I think we are up to 40 states now. Plus three additional states that are essentially shall issue in practice is 43. Then Cali and NY are variable but pretty bad. 5 states are varying levels of No F'ing Way.

.....Do you even know what they do? They make arrests. They go knocking on strangers houses. They're out late at night chasing leads. Why SHOULDN'T they carry?

I was under the impression that the job of a prosecutor is to file charges, not make arrests.

I was under the impression that the job of a prosecutor is to file charges, not make arrests.

Not in NJ. In addition to the things vjf mentioned, they also get called to crime scenes in the middle of the night. Naturally, these are often not in the best areas.

• Like 1

Not in NJ. In addition to the things vjf mentioned, they also get called to crime scenes in the middle of the night. Naturally, these are often not in the best areas.

This too. Jack, you aren't necessarily wrong, it's just that there are OTHER responsibilities that the prosecutors office has.

VERY few "Prosecutors" go out on the street.. Same with AP's (Assistant Prosecutors) YOU are thinking of Prosecutor's office Investigators or Detectives (Depending on the county) THEY are fully certified and Credentialed Police Officers, and qualify as LEO to carry when they retire. The people referered to in the article are the Prosecutors and Assistant Prosecutors themselves..The Attorneys, NOT the detectives. Usually the only time the CP or one of his AP's is direcly involved in an arrest is when it's for the Cameras.