Sign in to follow this  
kenw

Miniature warrior photos

A guy at work paints these pewter miniature characters, and plays some sort of board game with them. I really don't know much about the games, but the level of detail he paints into these 2 inch tall pieces is just astounding. Works with tiny brushes under a magnifying glass, and each one takes him about 4 or 5 days of spare time work. Not my thing, but a real blast to photograph and edit.

post-1319-0-60528900-1307120467_thumb.jpg

post-1319-0-41666300-1307120470_thumb.jpg

post-1319-0-52575300-1307125630_thumb.jpg

post-1319-0-86426400-1307125631_thumb.jpg

post-1319-0-30229400-1307129293_thumb.jpg

I'm not sure what game the OP pics are of. I think it's Warhammer. I don't know too much about it as I don't play it.

My mini's are from Battletech. Battletech is the universe that the video games Mechwarrior/Mechcommander/Mechassault were based off of. Basically it's in the future in 3000+ AD. Battlemechs (like the mini I posted) are the kings of the battlefield. Powered by fusion engines, they have energy, projectile and missile weapons. The mini boardgame edition is turn based combat with hex maps.

lighting looks good care to share some tips on shooting stuff indoors? not really in a position to spend a ton on fancy equipment but if there are some things I can utilize on a budget that would be cool..

What do you have, and what do you want to shoot.

I was toying with writing an article for njShoot about photographing handguns on the cheap, but that's not likely to happen.

What do you have, and what do you want to shoot.

I was toying with writing an article for njShoot about photographing handguns on the cheap, but that's not likely to happen.

d80.. mostly gun photos... i take decent pics in natural light.. but struggle inside..

If you really want to have some control over your indoor shots, you need a couple of things:

a tripod to steady your camera for longer exposures at low ISO and small f-stop

a way to provide diffused light sources

at least a couple of light sources for shape and modeling

30_inch_photo_light_tent_studio.gif

A light tent takes your small, specular light source (the reflector bulb) and spreads it out into a broad, nearly shadowless light source. By enlarging the source to an area larger than the object being shot, you can control you reflections and eliminate the hot spots and hard, uncontrollable shadows caused by on camera flash. That's the same as shooting outdoors on an overcast day or in open shade as opposed to the uncontrollable lighting in direct, unmodified sunlight.

Multiple light sources let you move the lighting around the tent to control the highlight/shadow ratios, let you shape your subject and control the perceived direction and intensity of the primary light source

Put your camera on a tripod, set it at nothing faster than 200 ISO to control noise, set it at Aperture Priority, f/22 or so for the greatest depth of field, white balance for tungsten/incandescent, move the lighting around until the shot looks good in the viewfinder, and bang away.

The light tents are always on eBay, alone or as part of a tabletop photo kit, or you can make your own out of a big cardboard box and some sheets of tracing paper, along with a couple of desk lamps.