XDJohnTact

Non-resident ccw question

Forgive me if this has been answered before, but now that my son is moving from PRNY, he is interested in a FL or Utah permit. Can you go to one of these classes and apply for both at the same time or do you have to do each individually? Where have the forum members been going lately (he would need the whole class as he has no NRA class).

The Utah one is a class that has to be taught by a Utah certified instructor. No range time needed, they basically teach you Utah CCW laws.

The Florida one requires range qualification. The only way I could see being able to combine the two is by getting private lessons at Gun For Hire. It will probably be a full day event, since each class is 4 hours long.

Shongum is running the Basic Pistol this Saturday. I got my FL non-resident CCW with the certificate from this class. Go to Gun For Hire for your finger prints. The Anthony fills everything out for you and he has the police stamp you need for the finger print card. The fee is cheap and well worth it.

Yep, he has been in Long Island for the past two years, and while it was a great job with a good company, he just did not like living there. As for shooting, it is almost impossible out there. Fortunately, he found an even better job elsewhere. And it is 30 minutes closer to me!

Thanks guys, this has to wait til he moves to his new apartment around August 15th. I think we will both do the process. I guess we will do Utah first, followed by Florida.

as someone who did both, I recommend the FL one. You can't use the Utah non-res in FL, However, i believe Utah honors any state issued CCW license (resident or non resident).

Check out the courses GAPP runs. He has a Utah/FL course that is excellent. I took it and he supplies everything, fingerprints, picture, application. It includes classroom training and range time. It is a full day course but at the end all you have to do is enclose a check with the forms and mail them out.

Thanks guys, this has to wait til he moves to his new apartment around August 15th. I think we will both do the process. I guess we will do Utah first, followed by Florida.

I am not sure of the need to do both states. I took the Basic Pistol course at Gun for Hire in Bellville and they did the FL applications, fingerprinting and everything needed right there that night. FL gave us more states than Utah. Took us across the street to Bullet Hole for range time. Gave us a certificate that you'll need to photocopy and include with your FL application.

You can use this site to check what access each state's permit will give you. http://www.usacarry....ocity_maps.html

Check out the courses GAPP runs. He has a Utah/FL course that is excellent. I took it and he supplies everything, fingerprints, picture, application. It includes classroom training and range time. It is a full day course but at the end all you have to do is enclose a check with the forms and mail them out.

Thanks Smoothie, we will check that out. And thanks to all respondents. We have some time to research which we need or want. He just mentioned it to me last night and I wanted to get the ball rolling.

Yep, he has been in Long Island for the past two years, and while it was a great job with a good company, he just did not like living there. As for shooting, it is almost impossible out there. Fortunately, he found an even better job elsewhere. And it is 30 minutes closer to me!

doesnt NY have a carry law, with long island included?

I will say get both UT and FL. I made the mistake on not getting my UT at the same time as my FL and not have to do it separately, I also hold a AZ and VA CCW cards.

I would advise to get more than 1, they will come due at different times, they may allow for more states of coverage and for the most part they are cheap enough anyway.

Harry

Don't know? He inquired about getting a pistol permit and the hoops you had to jump through in his county made it not worth his time. He knew he would not be living there that long and we had plenty of things to shoot here in Jersey when he visited.

Most states will only except a fingerprint cards completed by someone in law enforcement.

Harry

Fla exepts a hunters safty course from any State if you go on the second ammendment foundation web site they do the Fla application at there monthly meetings there in a different place each month cost you 50 bucks 25 for membership and 25 for pictures and prints they have the apps there you fill it out show your DL and they noterize it all you need to do is make a check for $114 and mail it to Fla I got mine in 3 weeks

Fla exepts a hunters safty course from any State if you go on the second ammendment foundation web site they do the Fla application at there monthly meetings there in a different place each month cost you 50 bucks 25 for membership and 25 for pictures and prints they have the apps there you fill it out show your DL and they noterize it all you need to do is make a check for $114 and mail it to Fla I got mine in 3 weeks

My FL took about the same amount of time, AZ was also about 3 weeks and VA right at 4 weeks maybe a few days longer.

Harry

If you don't need the coverage in FL, I'd recommend the AZ instead of FL. It is about 1/2 the cost initially, gives you almost identical reciprocity, prints can be done by anybody, can do the whole process thru the mail in about 2 weeks, and the UT course will suffice for the training.

Drop me a line and we will hook you up. We are a one stop shop. Training, prints, notary, etc.

Pay the fee, let Anthony handle the paper work, get permit, be happy. I know someone that went to a firm that does finger printing for licenses and FL would not accept the finger print card. I has to be done by a police department and most in NJ don't do them.

I think you mean the NJ2AS. The SAF is a different org.

Most states will only except a fingerprint cards completed by someone in law enforcement. Harry

I understand that and I'm familiar with the Florida requirements, which is what caught my attention when I read that someone "had a police stamp."

Are you saying the prints were taken by a law enforcement officer off site, and were not done at the police station?

I understand that and I'm familiar with the Florida requirements, which is what caught my attention when I read that someone "had a police stamp."

Are you saying the prints were taken by a law enforcement officer off site, and were not done at the police station?

Yes you can get this done at any of the NJ2AS meetings, some of the staff from Gun for Hire are at the meetings and they take care of the fingerprint cards and other misc paperwork, and I do believe pictures also. Also you can check with GFH directly and see what they can do for you. They are all good people and a class operation, while there are many around the state I can only recommend the one I am familiar with.

Harry