Prax

Anyone have a non-resident FL, VA, and/or Utah CCW?

I am about to apply for my CT. I am hoping that my NRA LE Tactical Instructor class will be sufficient. I will send them a copy of the course (and sign offs) so they can see how much pistol is involved.

I am about to apply for my CT. I am hoping that my NRA LE Tactical Instructor class will be sufficient. I will send them a copy of the course (and sign offs) so they can see how much pistol is involved.

keep us posted with the process. Good Luck!

I used my 1st Steps cert for the other ones. CT require the actual handgun class, not 1st steps.

What would you call "First Step" if not an actual handgun course? Things may have changed, but there was a live-fire component to that class and that is what I used to get my CT CCW.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Why so many getting CT? Spending time there or just for passing through?

Could be passing through, close in proximity to NJ and also it best to have multiple CCW's being they would more than likely expire at different dates and if you ever missed renewing one you may still be covered. Also add in each permit may add states or change some of the restrictions in other states.

Just a few thoughts on it and the reason I have multiple states.

Harry

Could be passing through, close in proximity to NJ

Could be? That's what I postulated when I asked the question.

...and also it best to have multiple CCW's being they would more than likely expire at different dates and if you ever missed renewing one you may still be covered. Also add in each permit may add states or change some of the restrictions in other states.

Just a few thoughts on it and the reason I have multiple states.

Harry

Harry, none of your latter statement is a good reason to get CT. CT has reciprocity with nobody except those that accept everybody, and they are a PITA to get compared to several others. So they are a bad choice for 'just another' permit and would probably be #15 on my list of desirable permits. And I aint getting 15 permits, so...

So, I'm still curious why people that actually have CT permits got them.

• Like 1

What would you call "First Step" if not an actual handgun course? Things may have changed, but there was a live-fire component to that class and that is what I used to get my CT CCW.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

CT DPS specifically mentions First Steps is not approved.

Why so many getting CT? Spending time there or just for passing through?

I got CT because they don't honor any other permit and we've been up there several times over the last couple years.

So, let me get this straight. I could apply for CCW permits in FL,VA, and Utah and be able to legaley carry in 33-35 states? That is very interesting. And I can get this done all in one place?

On another note, has anyone actually ever applied for a carry permit in NJ? I think every gun owner in NJ should apply. This way if anything happens to any of use law abiding citizens we could make a strong case againt the state.

CT DPS specifically mentions First Steps is not approved.

May not be approved now, but my permit is in my wallet - what more do you need?

I got it because I had accounts in CT and was there or driving through it about every other week. My employer, at the time, encouraged carry OTJ.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

So, let me get this straight. I could apply for CCW permits in FL,VA, and Utah and be able to legaley carry in 33-35 states? That is very interesting. And I can get this done all in one place?

On another note, has anyone actually ever applied for a carry permit in NJ? I think every gun owner in NJ should apply. This way if anything happens to any of use law abiding citizens we could make a strong case against the state.

Yes many of us have CCW permits for other states, and yes you can do them all in one place, I did all of mine with GFH (Gun for Hire).

Relax in the NJ thing, read the form and you will see there is a case in progress that has merit and legs so for now I would recommend all people who are not retired LEO to wait and see what comes out next month in the case.

Harry

Yes many of us have CCW permits for other states, and yes you can do them all in one place, I did all of mine with GFH (Gun for Hire).

Relax in the NJ thing, read the form and you will see there is a case in progress that has merit and legs so for now I would recommend all people who are not retired LEO to wait and see what comes out next month in the case.

Harry

Gun For Hire. I have to check him out. I actually live around the corner from him, I think. I see his pickup in the driveway all the time.

I started researching myself. It seems if I got a Florida and South Carolina, that would cover driving to Florida with the exception of Maryland/DC.

Funny though, almost no other state recognize a NJ carry permit.

FYI, @ the NJ2AS meeting on Wed, Aug 17 in Toms River, GFH will be manning the CCW table again. Prints, photos and notary for $25 for members, $50 for non-members. FL applications will be on hand, or you can bring any other state's application. I did VA and AZ a few months ago.

(To get SC, you have to own land there).

Why would you get a VA and AZ carry permit if you had a Florida carry permit? According to my research a FL permit is accepted in VA and AZ. And I thought in AZ you didn't need a permit to carry?

I didn't know you had to own land in SC. I just saw they issued non-resident carry permits.

Why would you get a VA and AZ carry permit if you had a Florida carry permit? According to my research a FL permit is accepted in VA and AZ. And I thought in AZ you didn't need a permit to carry?

as I posted previously...

There are two aspects to this that I see. First and foremost is the clear practicality of carrying outside of NJ. in my opinion, which is ONLY my opinion, one should cover ones bets against the vagrities of dynamic reciprocity arrangements and uncontrolable renewal processing times by having all the commonly useful ones: UT, FL, AZ & VA.

Then there is the almost equally imporant political point - these states trust me to exercise my rights responsibly, even if my home state does not - so add whichever others you can. Besides that, every single responsible carry permit holder is one more statistic against the "blood will run in the streets" antis.

Best regards

G

Good points. So my best bet would be FL, VA, UT, and AZ.

Excellent info.

But again, didn't AZ change to a no permit required state?

Not sure about them being a no permit state, but I do think AZ does get you 1 more state.

Also as I stated before, having multiple permits with different expirations does help if you somehow forget to renew one. Also the agreements between different states and what permits you have may differ is some way as far as what is allowed, not sure of what that may be but just something I though of when typing this out.

Harry

Good points. So my best bet would be FL, VA, UT, and AZ.

Excellent info.

But again, didn't AZ change to a no permit required state?

AZ did go Constitutional Carry last July but they still issue permits for reciprocity purposes. The AZ permit has almost identical coverage as the FL permit...tho you folks in NJ would NEED FL to be covered in FL...and the AZ permit is half the cost of FL. In fact, UT + AZ renewal combined is still cheaper than FL.

I didn't know you had to own land in SC. I just saw they issued non-resident carry permits.

AZ has Constitutional Carry, but when you do get their CCW, it says "this permit must be in your possession while carrying a concealed weapon and must be presented to a law enforcement officer upon request."

I called to question this statement and was told that without the permit, there are places you can't carry that you can with the permit, such as restaurants that serve alcohol and parks. I forget if she actually said state or federal parks.

AZ also now gives you NV which FL and VA do not.

Get your AZ CCW. It's easy, quick and not that expensive.

• Like 1

Will do. I am going to start applying ASAP. FL, AZ,UT,VA. And I can contact GFH to help me with this correct?

What do I need to get all these permits besides money?

FL is very easy... this is the process as I recall..

* step one is to follow this guide to be sure that you can actually get it.. which you should be able to..

http://app1.licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/firearms/prequal_questions.aspx

* take satisfactory class illustrating you can safely use a handgun.. (I used my first steps class) obtain certification.. make copy set aside..

* go here and request packet... http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/FORMS/FormsRequest790.html wait for mail person...

* take fingerprint card to police station.. have them fill out (this CAN be difficult if your local PD is amongst those same a** clowns who make up laws regarding firearms as they go along..) it does NOT have to be done at local PD but HAS to be done by LEO..

* fill out application

* get passport size photo

* take application.. appropriate payment of fees.. fingerprint card... photo... copy of certs.. application.. etc.. send in mail..

* OPTIONAL STEP - here you have an opportunity to play a fun game.. at the SAME EXACT time you send for FL permit.. go to local PD and file for a handgun purchase permit... even if you don't need one.. then watch the "race"... stare in amazement as a state on the other side of the country acknowledges that they trust you to CARRY a gun ... FASTER than NJ decides if they trust you just to buy a gun..

I might have missed something.. but I don't think I did.. the packet will detail EVERYTHING you need..

* step one is to follow this guide to be sure that you can actually get it.. which you should be able to..

* take satisfactory class illustrating you can safely use a handgun.. (I used my first steps class) obtain certification.. make copy set aside..

* go here and request packet... http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/FORMS/FormsRequest790.html wait for mail person...

* take fingerprint card to police station.. have them fill out (this CAN be difficult if your local PD is amongst those same a** clowns who make up laws regarding firearms as they go along..) it does NOT have to be done at local PD but HAS to be done by LEO..

* fill out application

* take application.. appropriate payment of fees.. fingerprint card... photo... copy of certs.. application.. etc.. send in mail..

* OPTIONAL STEP - here you have an opportunity to play a fun game.. at the SAME EXACT time you send for FL permit.. go to local PD and file for a handgun purchase permit... even if you don't need one.. then watch the "race"... stare in amazement as a state on the other side of the country acknowledges that they trust you to CARRY a gun ... FASTER than NJ decides if they trust you just to buy a gun..

I might have missed something.. but I don't think I did.. the packet will detail EVERYTHING you need..

Or, come out to the NJ2AS meeting in Tom's River tomorrow night and you will get everything for FL. You might be able to get extra fingerprints for VA and AZ. You'll need to go to VA and AZ's websites and request their packets. Same training certificate can be used for both of these states. AZ doesn't even require the passport photos.

* fill out application

AZ is even easier:

read this page to make sure you qualify

* take satisfactory class illustrating you can safely use a handgun...as referenced in Paragraph N here...obtain certification.. make copy set aside...or if you already have a permit form another state that required training that will suffice.

* go here and request packet... http://www.azdps.gov/Services/Concealed_Weapons/Contact/ wait for mail person...

* take fingerprint card to any place that does fingerprinting. It does not have to be LEO.

* fill out application

* Purchase a 9 x 12 envelope as the return envelope they send is just big enough for the print cards. It takes some origami skills to fit application into it.

* take application.. appropriate payment of fees.. fingerprint card... ... copy of certs.. application.. etc.. send in mail..

* wait about 2 weeks for mail person to deliver it

• Like 1

as I posted previously...

There are two aspects to this that I see. First and foremost is the clear practicality of carrying outside of NJ. in my opinion, which is ONLY my opinion, one should cover ones bets against the vagrities of dynamic reciprocity arrangements and uncontrolable renewal processing times by having all the commonly useful ones: UT, FL, AZ & VA.

Then there is the almost equally imporant political point - these states trust me to exercise my rights responsibly, even if my home state does not - so add whichever others you can. Besides that, every single responsible carry permit holder is one more statistic against the "blood will run in the streets" antis.

Best regards

G

Eloquently said, G. I would also add that, with varying expiration dates, you remain covered if you miss a renewal, or don't get the new one back in time.