Njgunowner

Red Bank requiring in person interviews now?

My sister in law and brother applied for their FID back in June, and just recently was told by the detective that is doing the paper work that they have to come to the police station and do an interview? What manner of BS is this? I thought they may have accidentally filled out a concealed carry permit by mistake but they swear they didn't.

Does anyone know who they should contact to file a complaint with the State?

I got mine in 5-6 weeks and the only question I was asked was "So, whatcha buying? I recommend Sig!". But I don't live in Red Bank.

That's kinda BS but i'm not surprised. Did they use the same people for their character references?

A few years ago, a co worker of mine and his wife used the same 2 people and the detective in Lincroft made the references meet him in person.

That's kinda BS but i'm not surprised. Did they use the same people for their character references?

A few years ago, a co worker of mine and his wife used the same 2 people and the detective in Lincroft made the references meet him in person.

Next obvious question is: What if your character reference contacts are out of state? Do I fly them in.. do they? or do I readily make friends at the local Shoprite or Pep Boys?

The problem is that some townships feel the need to burden the applicant with erroneous forms and interviews. IMO this is to discourage them from trying to obtain a permit/FID. My advice is to call the state police and file a complaint through the fire arms investigation unit which seems to handle this kind of thing. They may send a letter or make a phone call to make sure they aren't adding anything to burden the applicant.

Thankfully we have the NJ2AS compiling information on this kind of thing. So hopefully they'll file suit and get townships to follow established guidelines and this kind of thing won't happen.

Next obvious question is: What if your character reference contacts are out of state? Do I fly them in.. do they? or do I readily make friends at the local Shoprite or Pep Boys?

I pretty sure they have to be in state references.

Mine were in NY .No problems but my town is Gun friendly.They even rate the ranges for you.

If I was you I would contact the NJSP Firearms division and let them know about what is going on.

Also if they are not members of the NJ2AS, I would join and let them know what is going on, Frank is good with checking these things out and sometimes a call by them and the department realizing that the NJ2AS is questioning this and there may be some action with them not following the guidelines, they may just feel it's not worth it and change that requirement. Not that they will, but being questioned may have some influence, hey it can't hurt.

Harry

Waterford twp does the same thing , you have to call to set up an appointment to drop off your paperwork , the one time i called the Sgt said im doing FIDs and PPs next wed , i said to him im not sure i can make it , he then told me ; " well i dont know when im doing them again " ; i then said i"ll be there next wed , lol !!!!!!This is why its important to all of us to join NJ2AS and donate to the fund to fight this crap !!!!!

I pretty sure they have to be in state references.

Both of my references were out of state when I applied in East Brunswick.

The PD's that require an "in-person" intrerview will hide behind the investigatory requirement for obtaining a FPID or P2P. The NJSP Guide states that there is a great deal to be covered, with the applicant, at the time they drop off the paperwork. Aspects of the investigation to be done before the applicant leaves their (the investigating officer's) presence. This could be liberally construed to be a FTF interview. My guess is the NJSP will say your local PD is within their right to require this. I don't think it's right, but I also don't think you will have any luck fighting it.

JMHO

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Here in PA we are very angry that Philadelphia does that with carry permits (LTCF), even though they are not allowed to. They figure it will take you $1000 to appeal a denial and get your LTCF so they can push you around.

Can't you use Legal Zoom?

Humn, are we talking interview as part of process or an appointment to drop off/pick up ?

My department does apps by appointment, and while it is a bit of a pain, you make time if it is important. The benefit of this, timely processing time. Two weeks for new permits, (last time it took a week), and under 30 days for new FID's.

Red Bank contacted me since I was a reference for one of my friends. I went in, was literally asked the questions that are on the NJSP SOP manual in regards to firearms permits, and then signed the reference papers. If anyone has any q's about my experience, feel free to shoot me a PM.

Humn, are we talking interview as part of process or an appointment to drop off/pick up ?

My department does apps by appointment, and while it is a bit of a pain, you make time if it is important. The benefit of this, timely processing time. Two weeks for new permits, (last time it took a week), and under 30 days for new FID's.

Did you just say that the benefit is that that part of the law if followed? Some benefit...

Got to love NJ though right.

So I had to go into the Red Bank police department to be a reference for a friend of mine. Gotta love them. They had me fill out a questionnaire, and the detective started asking me all sorts of off the wall questions as to why this person wanted a gun.

Things like

"Why does this person need a gun, were they a victim of a break in or violent crime?"

"Does this person have any traffic violations you know of?"

"Has this person ever shot a gun before, why do they even want one?"

and it went on and on.

My answer to the last question through him off though. "Yes this person has shot a gun, I took them to range and introduced the person to guns myself". That one actually rocked him back on his heels. I don't think it occurred to him that I'd be a gun owner. This guy was fishing for ANY reason to deny the application.

My sister in law is still waiting for them to call in her references. She was also told after that was completed she'd probably have to meet with the chief of police so he can ask her questions before signing off. :roulette:

Red Bank is going to hate me though. My brother and sister in law have gotten 4-5 of their friends in town down to the range and they are planning to apply. I have no problem being a reference just annoy them.

So I had to go into the Red Bank police department to be a reference for a friend of mine. Gotta love them. They had me fill out a questionnaire, and the detective started asking me all sorts of off the wall questions as to why this person wanted a gun.

Things like

"Why does this person need a gun, were they a victim of a break in or violent crime?"

"Does this person have any traffic violations you know of?"

"Has this person ever shot a gun before, why do they even want one?"

and it went on and on.

My answer to the last question through him off though. "Yes this person has shot a gun, I took them to range and introduced the person to guns myself". That one actually rocked him back on his heels. I don't think it occurred to him that I'd be a gun owner. This guy was fishing for ANY reason to deny the application.

My sister in law is still waiting for them to call in her references. She was also told after that was completed she'd probably have to meet with the chief of police so he can ask her questions before signing off. :roulette:

Red Bank is going to hate me though. My brother and sister in law have gotten 4-5 of their friends in town down to the range and they are planning to apply. I have no problem being a reference just annoy them.

Take the afternoon off, and talk very slowly and make your responses extremely long. Waste as much of his time as possible... he is after all wasting yours.

This guy was fishing for ANY reason to deny the application.

The way I read it...isn't the FID shall issue unless specifically prohibited? LEA can't deny just because they don't like an answer to a question....am I wrong?

The way I read it...isn't the FID shall issue unless specifically prohibited? LEA can't deny just because they don't like an answer to a question....am I wrong?

It is anything but shall issue. You are correct in thinking that there is specific disqualifying criteria, but among those is a character clause, which gives the issuing authority all the discretion that it needs.

Adios,

Pizza Bob