Ray Ray

Poll! Best firearm for home defense

97 members have voted

1. 1. If you had to choose 1 gun for home defense, what caliber would it be in?

• Revolver (327, 38, 357, 44, 45)
    • Auto loader (9, 10, 357, 40, 45)
    • shotgun (12, 20, 410)
    • rifle (223, 308, 6.8, 762x39)
    • other?
    • I dont use a firearm for home defense
    • Pie

I picked revolver. Simple manual of arms you don't have to stop and think how it works or if its my Glock, 1911, or Beretta by the bedside. If you only have one type of semiauto I'd go with that. Shotguns are great but you can't maneuver them as easily as a handgun. Birdshot will work at home defense ranges and won't penetrate walls but you have to consider the fact that if it hits a steel door, stove, fridge, or other metal it will richochet and can wind up hitting something you don't want hit.

I chose pistol. It's the type of gun I've put more rounds through than any other weapon. Also, this choice allows me to have a weapon to carry on my person while home. Anyone walking around the house with a shotgun slung on their shoulder?

Semi-Auto's seem to be winning this poll, with shotguns running a close second. Not the way I thought it would go, as I assumed that would be reversed with revolvers being used in a close 3rd with Semi-Auto's.

SA pistol for me. Current choice is a Glock 31 .357 Sig loaded with PowRball ammo for upstairs, and a Sig SP2340 .357 Sig also with PowRball ammo for downstairs.

I was thinking about adding a long gun in .577 Tyranosaur in case of being attacked by charging elephants or velociraptors.

577.jpg

Semi-Auto's seem to be winning this poll, with shotguns running a close second. Not the way I thought it would go, as I assumed that would be reversed with revolvers being used in a close 3rd with Semi-Auto's.

I wonder why? I would think a shotgun would be number 1 also but perhaps folks are thinking that they would be easier to have taken away if clearing the rooms and sticking the barrel out there. I would think that many folks who only have one shotgun will have a long 26" barrel for shooting variety and not an 18 incher for home defense.

Like?

Depending on the size/config...

1. (for DAOs), the trigger pull is very heavy

2. limited capacity

3. difficult reloads (requires both hands and a bit of fumbling, and speed loaders)

The limited capacity is a big one though.

Depending on the size/config...

1. (for DAOs), the trigger pull is very heavy

2. limited capacity

3. difficult reloads (requires both hands and a bit of fumbling, and speed loaders)

The limited capacity is a big one though.

1. You should be firing DA in a SD situation anyway. If you are not properly trained with a revolver the DA pull can be an issue. I see what you're saying though and that's the reason semi-autos are more popular. Revolvers are a bit more difficult to master but once you've learned how to use one everything else is easy

2. If you're talking 5 shot vs 15 I'd agree. A shotgun gives you the same disadvantage in most cases. However, a std 1911 holds 7+1 which you can get with a revolver if that's an issue. Having had to use a revolver once or twice in the past 40 years I've never felt undergunned.

3. You can do one handed reloads with a revolver and there is no fumbling if you're properly trained. Speedloaders are once again an issue of proper training.

The fact is you can come up with a bunch of disadvantages for any weapon and you get to make your own choice and accept any disadvantages coming with it.

1. You should be firing DA in a SD situation anyway. If you are not properly trained with a revolver the DA pull can be an issue. I see what you're saying though and that's the reason semi-autos are more popular. Revolvers are a bit more difficult to master but once you've learned how to use one everything else is easy.

2. If you're talking 5 shot vs 15 I'd agree. A shotgun gives you the same disadvantage in most cases. However, a std 1911 holds 7+1 which you can get with a revolver if that's an issue. Having had to use a revolver once or twice in the past 40 years I've never felt undergunned.

3. You can do one handed reloads with a revolver and there is no fumbling if you're properly trained. Speedloaders are once again an issue of proper training.

The fact is you can come up with a bunch of disadvantages for any weapon and you get to make your own choice and accept any disadvantages coming with it.

1. Agreed. But for HD, why make things harder on yourself?

2. This is true... but the vast majority of revolvers are either 5,6, or 7 shooters. You're average full-sized 9mm holds 15-17 rounds. You can even find .45acp that holds 13 rounds (Glock 21 and others). Either way, the capacity advantage is definitely with the semi-auto if you choose the right one. When you're running around the house at night, you're not gonna be wearing a pistol belt with mag holders either.

3. True, but the reload with a semi-auto is more efficient, and gives you more rounds to shoot. Going back to capacity, a revolver would have to reload twice to keep up with a 13-15 round semi-auto magazine.

I'm just pointing out the obvious flaws in using a revolver for HD. You have all these disadvantages with 0 real upside. I love wheel-guns, but they have been fully displaced by modern, reliable, semi-autos in almost every role outside of cowboy action shooting.

why no carbine? been doin research, hearing good things as an option for home defense?

Carbines have my vote. They're easy to use, easy to aim, and (in all places except NJ) they have a greater capacity (30 rounds in most instances).

The only disadvantage is that you need two hands to operate them. But given the variety of light mounts and other options, it's a minor issue.

Ideally, the best firearm for HD is an NFA fully-automatic or burst fire 9mm/45acp sub-machine gun fitted with a suppressor, lightweight stock, red-dot, weapon light, sling, and 30 rounds of sub-sonic hollow point ammunition.

You can kill an intruder in your living room without waking the kids or neighbors, and without going deaf/blind shooting indoors without eye/ear protection.

• Like 1

Ideally, the best firearm for HD is an NFA fully-automatic or burst fire 9mm/45acp sub-machine gun fitted with a suppressor, lightweight stock, red-dot, weapon light, sling, and 30 rounds of sub-sonic hollow point ammunition.

You can kill an intruder in your living room without waking the kids or neighbors, and without going deaf/blind shooting indoors without eye/ear protection.

Wow, you are totally lost. You want a full-auto sub gun for home defense? Unless your expecting a hoard of Bolivian drug dealers to take you out leave the sub gun in the safe.

And revolvers aren't difficult to shoot or reload. Learn the wheel-gun and how to run it and she'll do the job.