NicePants

Any recommendations for a first .22 pistol?

Well it looks like you will need 4 P2P's as of now, but don't worry ammo is cheap. :icon_mrgreen:

I have a Walther P22 and the Wife has a MK III Hunter and I like hers better but I need to shoot the GSG 1911 and see how I like it, from what Jon says and being the 1911 platform I think that just might be one that I pick up later this year.

Harry

Well it looks like you will need 4 P2P's as of now, but don't worry ammo is cheap. :icon_mrgreen:

I have a Walther P22 and the Wife has a MK III Hunter and I like hers better but I need to shoot the GSG 1911 and see how I like it, from what Jon says and being the 1911 platform I think that just might be one that I pick up later this year.

Harry

You shoulda said something! I would have been happy to let ya run a few mags through it the other day.

You shoulda said something! I would have been happy to let ya run a few mags through it the other day.

I appreciate that Jon, but It didn't click in my mind till just the other day when you mentioned what you had, we shot together all day and I never noticed it. Next time we shoot OBRAMS I'll take you up on the offer.

Harry

Can't go wrong with a buckmark or a ruger, both well with in your price range. I went through the same issue trying to pick one last year they all felt awesome in my hand and it came down to preference really. I went with a ruger mk III target and its probably my favorite gun to shoot. It effortlessly eats my federal bulk ammo and puts ridiculous groups down range considering i can barely get good groups with my 9mm.

Don't fret about breaking down a ruger MKIII either, youtube has an excellent video how to do it quickly and properly, i had zero issues taking mine apart and putting it back together the first time.

Walther p22! So far ran about 400 CCI mini-mag rounds through it and not one ftf, ftf, or fte. Very happy with the purchase.

I just found this and will be doing some mods on my P22 and found a great PDF file for the gun, has plenty of Pic's great info.

P22 Bible

Harry

I just found this and will be doing some mods on my P22 and found a great PDF file for the gun, has plenty of Pic's great info.

P22 Bible

Harry

Nice find!!!

I just got the P22 for the wife.

Did you strip and clean it before your first session?

Nice find!!!

I just got the P22 for the wife.

Did you strip and clean it before your first session?

Also if you go over to Rimfirecentral they have a forum that there is a 3 part sticky that details everything about taking the gun down completely.

Harry

I was looking into getting a P22 also but it's a bit small and uncomfortable for me (I have medium sized hands). I also hated the mag release. I ended up getting a M&P 22 and love it. It's the same size as the 9mm/.40cal versions. I'll probably pick up an M&P9 soon and will continue to use the 22 for range practice. It may be a bit above your price range but I think it's one of the best .22 pistols out. The Sig Mosquito looked pretty good also. I didn't care for the Ruger Mark III or the Neos.

I was looking into getting a P22 also but it's a bit small and uncomfortable for me (I have medium sized hands). I also hated the mag release. I ended up getting a M&P 22 and love it. It's the same size as the 9mm/.40cal versions. I'll probably pick up an M&P9 soon and will continue to use the 22 for range practice. It may be a bit above your price range but I think it's one of the best .22 pistols out. The Sig Mosquito looked pretty good also. I didn't care for the Ruger Mark III or the Neos.

Depends on what your idea of a good .22lr pistol is. I havent herd much about the new S&W 22, but the ruger's buck marks and neos are all extremely accurate and reliable, and other then the NEO's they offer many variants and exclusives. I have also herd the mosquito has reliability issues. If your going by looks alone, then yeah the p22 mosquito and s&w are nice. From what i have gathered on the Internetz was to stay away from the p22 and mosquito, but then again i have never had any first hand experience on them.

This is a thread i stumbled upon:

http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/index.php/t-184662.html

You're right, it depends on what the OP is looking for. My criteria was a .22lr pistol that can has a similar platform as larger caliber guns. I was looking for something I can use for cheap range practice that wasn't too different in size/feel. The M&P 22 fit the bill perfectly for me as it's the same size as an M&P 9/40.