BigAl

Need some suggestions

I'm looking to get my first pistol within the next couple of weeks. Had my eye set on the glock g34, but then someone came along and told me not to get the "block". I am asking for suggestions on a pistol that I would be able to eventually use for competition. My cap is $700. :help:

I don't know anything about competitions but I just purchased a Beretta m9 for my first gun and I love it. I've heard people talk bad about it but I love the weight, and feel of the grip. I've found it to be very accurate with no failures through probably 500 rounds. It also came with 2 15 rd magazines which I like.

But as everyone has said a million times here, you have to go and hold them, feel them, shoot them if possible and just find the one that feels good for YOU.

If you like the Glock and it feels right in your hands, go for it. Plus you know the damn thing will go boom if its a Glock

DEAGLE BRAND DEAGLE IN .50 AMERICAN EAGLE YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAH

Or if you want a serious answer, the glock is a good reliable place to start. If you want to get into matches it all depends on how good you want your hardware to be. Match guns or customizations for an existing gun can cost quite a bit. Remember to get a gun that fits your hand though. If you buy it and then it feels like crap in your hand (too bulky, too small, etc.), then you're going to kick yourself. You should try hitting up Shore Shot or another range that rents guns and try out a few.

DEAGLE BRAND DEAGLE IN .50 AMERICAN EAGLE YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAH

Or if you want a serious answer, the glock is a good reliable place to start. If you want to get into matches it all depends on how good you want your hardware to be. Match guns or customizations for an existing gun can cost quite a bit. Remember to get a gun that fits your hand though. If you buy it and then it feels like crap in your hand (too bulky, too small, etc.), then you're going to kick yourself. You should try hitting up Shore Shot or another range that rents guns and try out a few.

I want to expand on this a little bit more. some valid points, however a few things need to be corrected.

A glock is a great handgun, however it is not for everyone. I would say there are less people who are unhappy with the ergonomics of the CZ's, and M&P's, then the number of people for whom the Glock/Block grip does not work.

Furthermore, depending on what competitions you want to shoot, you do not have to spend alot of money.

IDPA is just a gun, a holster and 4 mags So you need to buy a holster and 1 or 2 extra mags. Well under $100.

USPSA Production is a gun and 6 mags. Only if you get real serious, will you buy a race belt and some mag pouches.

I would only like to add that I don't believe your first gun purchase decision should have much to do with what you might compete with later.

You're not far enough along in your shooting to be able to ask the right questions and make the right decisions yet. All of that comes after you've shot a bunch and begin to understand what it is you like or don't like about a particular gun. In my opinion, a first gun should look sexy to you, feel good in your hand, be reasonably reliable and not have so much recoil to really screw you up. The other decisions can be made after you get a clearer understanding of what you like or don't like.

TRY before you buy.

Go to a shoot and ask around to see other peoples guns. Go rent some guns from one of the area ranges. Take an NRA Basic Pistol Calss (part of the class covers selection of a gun and the instructor should have a variety of guns for you to try).

I also Wud like to know y ur 1st choice is / was G34? and wat were the reasons that "someone" came up with to make u doubt ur decision ? What criteria are you using to make a selection besides $700 range? What other pistols did u look at ? What pistols did u actually shoot ?

For your first gun, you need to consider the reason you are purchasing it. If you want something fun, then maybe a 22LR handgun of some kind. If you want something for defense, then maybe start with a 9mm semi-automatic or a revolver, such as a Glock, M&P, or GP100. I would go with the personal defense one and then pickup a .22LR next.

It also depends on your finances. Can you go out and get two handguns back to back? Will this be the only one you will have for some time, etc.. If you buy new, just like a car, it will depreciate when you take ownership. If budget is no concern, then by all means, go support your local shop. But, if you aren't sure which one is right for you, then maybe you should buy a used one from a private sale. That way, if you aren't fond of it, you won't be out a lot if you resell it. Some thoughts might be to get an M&P 9, CZ 75B, a Glock 19, or Ruger GP100.

It is also nice to have a .22LR caliber that you can shoot with, as it is cheap to shoot. Maybe after a month, you can pickup a Ruger Mark III, a Browning Buckmark, or a GSG 1911-22. Another thought would be to get something that you can also get a .22 conversion kit for it such a a Glock.

I second going to the range and trying a variety of guns and their different triggers and action types. Also, visit the local shops and see what they have that is used. For the first one, I would stick with either 9mm or .40 S&W.

For the record, I have a Glock 34 and I love it! It's my favorite of my five handguns. It's accurate (far more so than I am), fun to shoot, and while it would be tough to conceal, that's hardly an issue here in NJ. Plus, as others have noted, even if you don't totally love it, chances are it's not going to be the last gun you purchase.

I too have Glock 34s and I love them. I just started shooting USPSA Production div and the pistol is as reliable as expected. However, there are plenty of choices out there right now M&P's, XDM's, CZ... all allowing shooters to get into the sport with minimal investment.

One thing that's a plus with Glocks is that there are plenty of accessories in the market for upgrades and most are cheaper than those made for other makes.

As recommended in earlier posts, try to rent or borrow as many pistols as you can before making the decision. Pick the one that you can shoot well comfortably.

Thx for all the suggestions. I have shot several, glock (several different), M&P, and XD, held the sig (comfortable grip) but never shot it. Guess I was trying to kill 2 birds with 1 stone. I never thought about the CZ, though.