alec.mc

Steel Targets - Who's good?

Im looking to pick up a few AR500 steel targets for the range, My heaviest calibers to date are 7.62x54r, and 7.62x39.

Looking for recommendations of where to look into, and who is decently priced.

So far, http://www.bigdogsteel.com , they have a AR500 1/2 -6" swinger at 99 bucks shipped that looks pretty fun, but looking for other suggestions as well.

Thanks

edit: Also, is 1/2 in worth the extra coin , or will 3/8 suffice? Like i said, 762x54r and .39 are my heaviest hitters, and I dont have access to anything past 100 yards.

-alec

Alec, don't forget to check out our own club for steel, Get in contact with John Soltesz, I think he might be able to help you out. I will be looking for some myself and he will be the first person I speak to.

Harry

Good Idea, I just saw John the other day when I picked up my Saiga from him, I'll be sure to send him an email to see what he has to offer.

Any opinions on the 3/8 vs 1/2 AR500 debate?

Good Idea, I just saw John the other day when I picked up my Saiga from him, I'll be sure to send him an email to see what he has to offer.

Any opinions on the 3/8 vs 1/2 AR500 debate?

Being your looking at using the 54R ammo I would get the 1/2" for that, plus I think it's better to have stronger than you need than to get something that isn't going to last.

Now for me I'd like to get a setup for practicing speed on steel and think I may go for the 1/2" stuff for that even though I'll be using 22LR, 9mm, 40S&W, and 45 ACP, but shooting at a much closer range.

Harry

3/8" ar500 is good for pistol but rifle rounds will definitely shorten the life of it. I would go ar500 1/2" personally.

Also, I would stay away from Nevco. Regulator and I both asked Nevco if the plate would handle 308. We were told yes. Then when our welds were breaking, we were told they were pistol targets. We specifically asked these questions prior to buying. I will pass on Nevco. I personally like GT Targets.

Also, I would stay away from Nevco. Regulator and I both asked Nevco if the plate would handle 308. We were told yes. Then when our welds were breaking, we were told they were pistol targets. We specifically asked these questions prior to buying. I will pass on Nevco. I personally like GT Targets.

Thanks for the heads up, I was looking at buying a few targets from them. I will be buying from a different company now (and I removed their link from my previous post).

I am waiting for GT targets to get in ar500 in 1/2" and then I will be going to get more. Karl is great and people from NJ can pick stuff up if you email him. Very simple operation he runs and he is a good guy. I like the fact that he is relatively local.

He has all kinds of stuff. Shotgun targets etc...he is a shooter that makes targets. That is why his stuff is good. He knows what we are looking for.

3/8" ar500 is good for pistol but rifle rounds will definitely shorten the life of it. I would go ar500 1/2" personally.

Whats wrong with the Nevco targets, are they not supposed to do this?

IMG_20111009_092012.jpg

I may be able to get a huge sheet of AR500 and cut it to any desired shape/size up to 40' long x ~12' wide if anyone wants in :)

Perhaps leave it as-is and shoot at it from 2 miles lol

You going to cut it with a torch or waterjet?

To be determined. I may get use of a waterjet table if there is enough interest but that will inflate the cost alot. I may torch cut them which is second best, and you would just live with slightly out of spec edges. It would be much cheaper, how much cheaper I have no clue yet

$22 for 6" diameter plate ($20/each if 3 or more purchased)

$52 for 9" diameter plate ($50/each if 3 or more purchased)

$82 for 12" diameter plate ($80/each if 3 or more purchased)

AR500 spec, 1/2" thickness. Round plates, unpainted, no holes/hardware. Shipping available or can pick up in Plainfield or Bridgewater.

Please post what size you guys would want/how many. Still figguring out if I should do this/how many of each size.

Edit: I may be able to punch a hole for mounting in these for no additional cost. Currently investigating. What size hole do you guys want..?