zoid

How Common is CCW WITHOUT a Permit in NJ?

Yeaaah, but doesn't that cause a whole host of issues when trying to get a pistol permit of change of address FPID? Especially filling out the part about being denied a permit...

that would have been a good add to that NJSAS video.

According to my sources at GFH (not legal advice, but pretty knowledgeable), yes that would indeed cause future problems with new FID's, P2P's, etc.

If you move out of state and apply for your CCW, you'll need to indicate that you were denied a CCW permit in NJ if it's on their form.. The denial would go with you the rest of your life. That's the only thing stopping me from applying for NJ CCW.

ROs can carry because it's a range. Carrying at a business other than your own(non range, non gun smith) is illegal, permission or not.

That's what I was always told! Almost makes one want to be a Range Officer?

The more you go to gun shops the more you realize how many cops go to them. They are allowed to carry. Also, hunting with a center fire rifle is illegal in NJ, but I am sure you see plenty of bolt action "sniper" looking rifles at those shops. Is it correct to think that there are a lot of hunters breaking the law?

No, people like to bring them to the range and shoot. Some hunters get permits in other states. The same applies for handguns designed for CC.

I believe the guys you spoke to were being facetious.

And even if you are careless enough to blatantly break the law, I wouldn't openly admit that in a public forum. Especially one that has all types of representatives of the law as members.

Then again I did see a guy at a particular indoor range up north put his revolver in his holster under his baggy clothes and walk out. There was no way that loon had a CCW, not by the way he conducted himself at the range.

You never know that. He could of been a cop, or former cop. CCW in NJ, especially someone you meet at the range is not unheard of.

• Like 1

Ok... I was afraid this was going to be another Monday? But fortunately there is no one here stupid enough to advocate breaking the law.

In any case, I often carry at the office (business owner).

I think the store sales associates answer was in jest, however can be misconstrued and taken as bad advice.

• Like 1

Interesting that this topic was brought up. The last time I was at the Bullet Hole there was a kid next to me with his buddies, I'd say not much older than 21, as he was packing up he had an IWB holster and holstered his pistol. Definitely not a person that is LE, nor do I think he had a CCW.

There have been several instances where I've gone to range in NJ and seen people conceal carry that I'm pretty sure aren't permitted to.

How do you know he wasn't an LEO or have a CCW? Because he looked young? My former roommate at not much older than 21 worked for the NJ Department of Corrections, and can carry. Of course you aren't thinking a young 20 something with a beard could carry in NJ, but they are certainly out there.

• Like 1

Interesting that this topic was brought up. The last time I was at the Bullet Hole there was a kid next to me with his buddies, I'd say not much older than 21, as he was packing up he had an IWB holster and holstered his pistol. Definitely not a person that is LE, nor do I think he had a CCW.

How can you be sure the person is not a LEO based on their looks? I know a few that look and act "gangsta" but are undercover and have to play that role 24/7.

• Like 1

How do you know he wasn't an LEO or have a CCW? Because he looked young? My former roommate at not much older than 21 worked for the NJ Department of Corrections, and can carry. Of course you aren't thinking a young 20 something with a beard could carry in NJ, but they are certainly out there.

How can you be sure the person is not a LEO based on their looks? I know a few that look and act "gangsta" but are undercover and have to play that role 24/7.

Obviously it's merely an assumption based on what I observed, and I could be completely wrong. Perhaps mention of age shouldn't be the number one indicator, my brother in law is on the job and he started when he was 22, but I'd like to assume that by observing their maturity level, giggling while completely missing the target with a shotgun at ~15yds, and their very poor handling of the firearms they had with them (at one point standing a shotgun barrel up against the angled part of the shooting port and having it fall toward other people) among other things, were all points that led me to believe the person was clearly not qualified to be handling firearms.

Again though, you are assuming. I have seen people who are "qualified" to handle and carry firearms who are as mature as a 6 year old, shoot as poorly as a blind monkey, and have no sense of safe handling. In fact, it is very easy for people who handle firearms on a daily basis or who train with firearms, to become complacent, or to think that they are somehow superior and that things don't apply to them.

I'd imagine if someone is going to be carrying a firearm in New Jersey, and does so publicly, that they are either very ignorant, or are doing so legally...

Owners permission for what?? to CCW with a handgun?? The owner of a store you work at can not override state law.

Private property rights fall into play here. That's why I made mention of store/land ownership separately, as it is common for businesses to be leased.

BH is full of LE-type people, prison guards, various other LE jobs. Most of them don't really look anything like what I normally think of as a cop, but there were various things like cops.

The guy was probably some kind of guard.

There have been several instances where I've gone to range in NJ and seen people conceal carry that I'm pretty sure aren't permitted to.

And we know he was not a LEO or someone with a CCW how??

Also, what if I want to practice drawing from my IWB holster, can I not have my gun holstered like that while at the range? I know I have used both for live fire practice at the range,

Private property rights fall into play here. That's why I made mention of store/land ownership separately, as it is common for businesses to be leased.

No it doesn't and if you have told anyone that they can do this or advocate that it is allowed I would tell them you may be mistaken. To transport a handgun in this state you need to fall under an exemption, and there is no exemption to get the gun to that location for them in the first place. Again, if you know anyone who is doing this they are breaking the law, period, no questions asked,

Unsure. I don't know anyone who's had to check "been denied". My assumption is because it's so commonplace that carry permits are never issued, it wouldn't be an issue.

NJSP would keep track of stuff like that. They manage to count to 30 every now and then when it comes to buying pistols, so applications are easy to keep track of.