Shawnmoore81

Decided on a 1911

Well I'm in the process of getting another handgun permit. I wasnt sure what I wanted but with it being the 100th anniversary of the 1911 it seems like the right time. Any suggestions. I like the sig scorpion and I still gotta check out the colt anniversary editions.

If you want to get something special then go with the Wilson Combat centennial edition. No other semi custom 1911 comes close to that one. It is the same quality as the nicest custom 1911's out there.

If you have to get something more custom then buy one of Paul Liebenberg's centennial 1911's from Pistol Dynamics. Absolutely amazing!

After this, none of the Centennial editions are nothing that special in my book. Mostly smoke and mirrors to take advantage of the centennial celebration. If you have the financial means then I would spend it on something exceptional.

Brands I'm gonna check out first sig, colt, sw, Remington

there a plenty of choices out there right now. You might want to add Springfield Armory, STI, Ruger to your list. For each and every make, the also come in different models. You have a lot of homework to do. :icon_e_wink:

If you intend to use the gun for mostly HD, you might want to consider one with a series 80 firing pin safety.

For the money you cant beat a S&W

I love my pro series. This is 10 rounds 25 yards offhand. For me, its pretty damn good. Ive put somewhere around 4k rounds through it without a single jam, and they are all dirty cast SWC reloads, 200 grains going a measly 726 FPS

Avoid Springfield Armory at all costs. Nothing but problems.

a63fca09.jpg

Avoid Springfield Armory at all costs. Nothing but problems.

My Springfield eats up my black powder loads like Mayor Rub-a-Dub of Jersey City sucks down beers......

that being said....

I've got two 1911's, Springfield GI45 and a Colt Series 80. Both are working well for me, with only minor adjustments to suit my tastes like grips and mag well changes.

One thing I did notice when purchasing my Colt, while it felt great and fit my hand like a glove, once it came time to start pulling that trigger, I realized that the grips felt like they were digging into my hand, and that the backstrap didn't fit my hand right. Really no big deal. Just don't get caught up with buyer's excitement.

• Like 1

My Springfield eats up my black powder loads like Mayor Rub-a-Dub of Jersey City sucks down beers......

My springfield works flawlessly also, but more than half the owners I have spoken to (probably more like 3/4+, im being generous here) have had to send their gun back at LEAST once for one reason or another. I dont want to be bothered by having to do that...

I never had any problems with any of my Springfields. Kimber on the other hand... :banghead:

My springfield works flawlessly also, but more than half the owners I have spoken to (probably more like 3/4+, im being generous here) have had to send their gun back at LEAST once for one reason or another. I dont want to be bothered by having to do that...

Don't have a price range. Going into a lot of overtime. Purpose home defense and range time. Cal .45 seems to be the only real choice

It's the ONLY caliber bro, go for it!

Had a Springfield at a match this past weekend.... Death jam while ejecting, and rear sight came loose during a course of fire. This was a forum member.

Smith Pro Series or if you can afford it, a Smith Performance Center 1911.

My next 1911 will however be a desert eagle 1911. One of the best bangs for the buck at under 700. Made by Bul.

Had a Springfield at a match this past weekend.... Death jam while ejecting, and rear sight came loose during a course of fire. This was a forum member.

Smith Pro Series or if you can afford it, a Smith Performance Center 1911.

Going by your logic then S&W revolvers suck. Since mine crapped out at the last steel match and couldn't finish a few stages.

Ray, There is no doubt the Springfields are nice guns. The fit and tolerances on my Loaded were very good. We are just saying that there is a track record of out-of-the-box issues with them. Most are made right by visits to the factory. Mine never was. 115 grain was a definite no-no in my gun, despite to trips to SA. It was 147grain or nothing.

Going by your logic then S&W revolvers suck. Since mine crapped out at the last steel match and couldn't finish a few stages.

No, as I said, my logic is since I see a 50% + failure rate, I dont like them. Even you had problems with yours at the zombie match. Every time I see one at the range I ask how it is, and a big majority of the time they have had to go back for one reason or another. This is entirely unacceptable. Usually its fixed in one visit but a few people have had it back 4-5 times. Sorry, not worth the trouble. Its like a gamble buying one. And you cant call me biased because I own one (and its trouble free)

If you see more than half of the S&W revolvers out there failing, well then I guess S&W sucks too. But I dont. If I posted a poll and people voted on which they had more problems with, I promise the SA would get the most votes.

Ugh, forgot to switch accounts again. Its Glennp

1911s are awesome guns, but I personally would not use for home defense. I would find something else because I do not like the grip safety for a defensive handgun. That is why I would not consider the XD, either. For the range or competition, yes, but for home defense, no. There are better choices with higher capacity and less attorney-riddled problems if ever needed.

Les Baer cannot be beat. Value and resale is great! But the older Colts really hold their price. I have owned lots of wilsons and nighthawks. always carry the les baer.

For home defense, something 100% reliable and cheap. In case you had to use it , would be gone for a while and maybe not returned.

• Like 1

For home defense, something 100% reliable and cheap. In case you had to use it , would be gone for a while and maybe not returned.

Thats why a Glock is a good choice. For the price point, they are almost disposable. Most of them are reliable with little maintainence.

If you know what your doing as an owner operator of a 1911 in regards to field stripping the gun, correct anything out of spec, and religiously maintain and properly lube the gun then you will have a reliable firearm that you could have confidence in defending your life with. If your not willing or able to do this then do not use it as a self defense gun.

Regardless, I would have a tough time giving up a pricey 1911 so it could get stored away in an evidence room for a very long time.

No, as I said, my logic is since I see a 50% + failure rate, I dont like them. Even you had problems with yours at the zombie match. Every time I see one at the range I ask how it is, and a big majority of the time they have had to go back for one reason or another. This is entirely unacceptable. Usually its fixed in one visit but a few people have had it back 4-5 times. Sorry, not worth the trouble. Its like a gamble buying one. And you cant call me biased because I own one (and its trouble free)

If you see more than half of the S&W revolvers out there failing, well then I guess S&W sucks too. But I dont. If I posted a poll and people voted on which they had more problems with, I promise the SA would get the most votes.

Ugh, forgot to switch accounts again. Its Glennp

It was old ammo, we checked it at the match. Used other ammo and it was fine.

Smith revolvers are nice, but Ruger has them beat.