SteveE46

New Gun...need HD light advice

New gun enthusiast here. Picked up my first gun -- Springfield XD9 a couple of weeks ago and have practicing at the Bullet Hole every weekend.

I'm trying to decide on a light setup for home defense. I don't want anything fancy, trying to stay in the $50-100 range. Please advise.

My options so far:

1. night sights

2. gun mounted light w/ laser (low end)

3. 150+ lumen tactical flashlight (probably will need new sights too though)

Welcome to the forum, I say get a flashlight and leave the gun as is for now, get some more time shooting it and then a few months and a couple thousand rounds later and looking at other peoples guns you will be able to make a more informed decision on what you want to put on the gun, if anything different from what you have now.

Im happy with my TLR-1 Light that I have mounted on my beretta m9a1.

It's extremely bright, doesn't really off balance the gun, or feel to heavy at all,does not loosen up even after a few hundred rounds, and I feel they are reasonably priced right at 100 bucks( you could probably find it a bit cheaper if you search around )

http://www.amazon.com/Streamlight-69110-Mounted-Weapon-Flashlight/dp/B000JWD16E/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1319937673&sr=1-1

5867659355_5bc29a040d_z.jpg

Welcome to the forum, I say get a flashlight and leave the gun as is for now, get some more time shooting it and then a few months and a couple thousand rounds later and looking at other peoples guns you will be able to make a more informed decision on what you want to put on the gun, if anything different from what you have now.

IMO a gun mounted light is FAR simpler to maneuver and handle.. especially for a new shooter.. holding a light.. AND supporting the gun correctly can be a handful..

I would recommend the best quality light you can afford.. ditch the laser IMO.. I have one on my Glock.. but it is a laser light combo.. not really needed.. good weapon mounted light and practice till your arms fall off.. that will create the best combination..

as recommended by someone else on buy some snap caps and mix them up with live ammo when you load mags.. when you go to shoot the gun will not fire due to the snap cap and you will have to "clear" the weapon and shoot again.. this will simulate malfunctions.. mix up magazines and load them with different amounts of ammo.. this will simulate running out and having to reload..

slow is smooth.. smooth is fast..

Hmm...A gun mounted light without a laser? Would I be able to see the sights in the darkness?

The streamlight looks nice but 100$ for a light feels steep. I've seen a few $50 light/laser combos on amazon and ctd, are any of them with looking at?

Remember, most of the time, you get what you pay for.

However you may want to post up the make and model number of the one you are looking at and see if anyone is familiar with it,

Hmm...A gun mounted light without a laser? Would I be able to see the sights in the darkness?

The streamlight looks nice but 100$ for a light feels steep. I've seen a few $50 light/laser combos on amazon and ctd, are any of them with looking at?

The light actually silhouettes your sights in the dark making them easier to see if anything.

• Like 1

The light mounted on my Px4 doesn't interfere with my trigger finger at all. I'm able to easily activate the light as well.

I don't find lasers to be a good indicator of where you're going to be hitting - they're set for a fixed distance and you have to sight them in... Using it as a crutch in a panic situation is not what you want. Also - would you trust your life to a cheap $20 laser?

One of the first times I went to Cherry Ridge for a NJGF meet, one of the guys from Mastadon was there with a gun mounted laser light that he was trying to sight in..... he couldn't sight it in consistently and told his customer to forget the laser.

Streamlight TLR-1 and -1S are generally about $100 but you can find them cheaper. I got a TLR-1 for $50. And yes, when you have the bright light in front, you are able to see your sights more. Practice it :)

in an interior home defense situation YES.. you will likely see the silhouettes of your sights.. they will be lit up by the feedback of the light bouncing off of the interior walls.. also.. if it is a good quality light on a good quality mount.. the center of the light will likely be PRETTY close to where your rounds are going to land.. which is another reason I like a weapon mounted light.. further keep in mind this is center mass shooting at sub 25 feet.. this is not 50 yard bulls eye shooting.. a laser is an unneeded gadget IMO.. I have one.. and yeah.. there is a cool factor.. but beyond that.. no more useful than the light.. but practice is going to be key.. because without practice lighting the light with your support hand while getting lead on target.. this is all just chit chat.. you also need to practice only lighting the light in bursts... burst.. burst.. burst.. identifying targets.. shooting when needed.. tough to do at a range because I don't know how many ranges really allow for low light dusk/night shooting.. I shoot on private land sometimes.. for playing with skills like this..

brand new high quality light > used high quality light > cheap airsoft junk....

in my opinion.. if you are really going to rely on this weapon to be the deciding factor between potentially living or dying.. I would pick something that you are CERTAIN is going to work every time.. streamlight.. surefire.. good options..

If you can take a low light force on force class. It will show the respective benefits of handheld and gun mounted lights, gun mounted lasers, and strobe features through actual use.

For a good class look into Southnarc's Shivworks AMIS (armed movement in structures) class.

Wow, didn't realize there would be such an overwhelming consensus on this. I'm picking up the streamlight tlr-1. Thanks for advice everyone!

I took the first pistol class @ gun for hire last month. Will take a home defense/night shooting class once I get a few thousand rounds down range.

New gun enthusiast here. Picked up my first gun -- Springfield XD9 a couple of weeks ago and have practicing at the Bullet Hole every weekend.

I'm trying to decide on a light setup for home defense. I don't want anything fancy, trying to stay in the $50-100 range. Please advise.

My options so far:

1. night sights

2. gun mounted light w/ laser (low end)

3. 150+ lumen tactical flashlight (probably will need new sights too though)

Steve,

I went for #3, for three reasons.

1. I did not want to point my weapon at a potential perp before I had made an identification using the flashlight.
  2. It is such a pain in the a** to find an excellent holster that will hold a weapon mounted light. I wanted a Crossbreed SuperTuck and they do not make them for light mounted weapons.
  3. I have a variety of weapons and don't want to have to move the light around from weapon to weapon.

I also didn;t like the fact that if a perp was armed that they would be shooting at the light thinking I'd be right behind it.

Since I have a seperate light, I went with the Crimson Trace laser that mounts on the grip and does not interfere with any of my holsters.

Just my rationale.

I did not want to point my weapon at a potential perp before I had made an identification using the flashlight.. I also didn;t like the fact that if a perp was armed that they would be shooting at the light thinking I'd be right behind it.

finger off the trigger till you are sure of the target.. once you ID the target gun is already in ready (pointed) at which point you can shout commands (get on the floor.. stop.. etc..) OR engage the target if it poses a reasonable threat that justifies deadly force..

not sure what you mean about your handheld light not being right in front of you.... while people swear by various modified holds in which the light is way off in space somewhere (up and to your outside) that for me is extremely unwieldy (and going to be even worse to a NEW shooter).. you are now pointing aiming and shooting the gun one handed.. while operating a flashlight feet away.. with the hope that you will have the hand eye coordination under stress to hold the light AND gun on target... landing that critical shot one handed? suggesting such a technique to a new gun owner doesn't seem to me to be the best plan.. under stress you fall back on the simplest most primitive motor skills.. holding the gun with TWO hands while operating a switch centimeters from your thumb seems like a pretty simple motor skill..

I will agree that using a light does create a disadvantage in regards to giving up your location.. keep in mind.. he is not LEO sweeping an alley or crack house for some murder suspectt.. he is holding position in his familiar house while the police respond.. the only way he is going to run into someone is if they come to him.. at which point he will have the advantage..

It is such a pain in the a** to find an excellent holster that will hold a weapon mounted light. I wanted a Crossbreed SuperTuck and they do not make them for light mounted weapons.

he makes NO reference to carry or anything like that.. BUT... if he did later on go that route.. raven makes a holster for most weapon mounted lights + gun.. but with that said.. he wants it as a "HD" gun.. I don't think he is going to be wondering around the house with the gun holstered?

I have a variety of weapons and don't want to have to move the light around from weapon to weapon.

again

this is a single home defense geared purchase.. he can buy this AND a handheld if he really has use.. NOT knocking your choice... your gun.. do what you like.. but I dont really understand where you are coming from.. it seems you are transposing qualifiers (like holsters) that the original poster did not even mention.. and IF it is a HD weapon.. are likely moot...

• Like 3

not sure what you mean about your handheld light not being right in front of you.... while people swear by various modified holds in which the light is way off in space somewhere (up and to your outside) that for me is extremely unwieldy (and going to be even worse to a NEW shooter).. you are now pointing aiming and shooting the gun one handed.. while operating a flashlight feet away.. with the hope that you will have the hand eye coordination under stress to hold the light AND gun on target... landing that critical shot one handed? suggesting such a technique to a new gun owner doesn't seem to me to be the best++plan.. under stress you fall back on the simplest most primitive motor skills.. holding the gun with TWO hands while operating a switch centimeters from your thumb seems like a pretty simple motor skill..

^^ +1 to this

I shot a low-light IDPA match. Having to manipulate the flashlight OFF of the gun was extremely difficult and it was hard to get off accurate shots 1 handed while trying to worry where my flashlight was, etc.

You can see from the first stage when I was shooting I got confused as to how to hold the flashlight - I was actually drowning out my sights and view when holding it back and I switched holds several times.

^^ +1 to this

I shot a low-light IDPA match. Having to manipulate the flashlight OFF of the gun was extremely difficult and it was hard to get off accurate shots 1 handed while trying to worry where my flashlight was, etc.

You can see from the first stage when I was shooting I got confused as to how to hold the flashlight - I was actually drowning out my sights and view when holding it back and I switched holds several times.

thanks a lot for posting that! I have never shot with a light unsupported but the first few seconds of your video show exactly what I was saying.. and on top of that I would consider you a more experienced shooter..

another thing I hadn't even considered.. a weapon mounted light is going to make mag changes far easier as well..

More experienced? Somewhat. I'm still relatively new but not a total new shooter. I'd consider myself as at an intermediate level.

I wanted to shoot that match with my light mounted on the gun, but for safety reasons they wouldn't allow us.

Not a lot of holstering options for guns with lights on 'em. Plus not everyone there had guns with rails - it would have created an unfair advantage.

AH that makes more sense... but with that said life is full of unfair advantages.. some guns are more accurate than others.. and so on.. if you have a holster that safely holds the gun and the light and that is the weapon you train with.. I see no reason ti disallow its use..