Luke_WO

Guns as Christmas presents

Anyone ever bought someone a gun for Christmas? I'm talking about a shotgun for my dad, who already has an FID. What's that process like? I buy it in my name, give it to him, and then what?

Is the process different for someone who doesn't have an FID? I'm talking about my 17 year old sister now. Is that even legal to buy her anything?

Unless the party has specifically asked for particular make/model, be careful. Buying someone a gun, to me, is like buying someone cloths. You have a high probability that you'll get something the person really doesn't like. It may not "fit" them right or they may not like the "looks" of it, etc.

Unless the party has specifically asked for particular make/model, be careful. Buying someone a gun, to me, is like buying someone cloths. You have a high probability that you'll get something the person really doesn't like. It may not "fit" them right or they may not like the "looks" of it, etc.

Appreciate the concern. Was just asking hypothetical. It's a long way from actually happening. Just thinking about it because my old man has been struggling with the clays lately and is convinced that the gun is the problem (But we all know that's not the case. It functions perfectly). Claims he's gonna hang it on the wall and never put another round through it. Was just thinking about buying him something relatively cheap as a surprise just to see if his performance would actually improve.

Buying someone a gun, to me, is like buying someone cloths. You have a high probability that you'll get something the person really doesn't like. It may not "fit" them right or they may not like the "looks" of it, etc.

My OL doesn't seem to mind when I get her stuff to wear from Fredericks of Hollywood or Victoria's Secret...:icon_mrgreen:

I thought straw purchases were in effect if you were buying a weapon for someone who is ineligible to own/purchase the weapon? Not to be confused but buying a gun for someone else doesn't automatically make it a straw purchase. However, on the NJ document when u purchase said firearm it asks you if the weapon your purchasing is for someone else, i'm assuming answering yes would result in a denial, as anything marked within that category is.

And he actually DOES hit more targets when using my gun. So the gun itself isn't the problem, but maybe there's something psychological in play here.

Give him your gun and you buy a new one. :icon_mrgreen:

Straw purchase From Wikipedia

A straw purchase is any purchase wherein the purchaser knowingly acquires an item or service for someone who is, for whatever reason, unable to purchase the item or service themselves. This term can be applied to any such purchase, but it is most widely used in relation to the sale of firearms, especially in United States federal gun laws.

Straw purchase From Wikipedia

A straw purchase is any purchase wherein the purchaser knowingly acquires an item or service for someone who is, for whatever reason, unable to purchase the item or service themselves. This term can be applied to any such purchase, but it is most widely used in relation to the sale of firearms, especially in United States federal gun laws.

From Google:

Straw

Ok, so change of plans in what I originally said...

New idea - my 25 year old sister does NOT have an FID, but is going to apply for one any day now. So the idea is to buy a shotgun (I pay for it, not her. It would be a gift), fill out the paperwork in my name, do everything through myself. My money, my ID, my forms, etc. And then, as soon as she gets the FID, I would go to an FFL and transfer the ownership to her.

Just wanna double check the legality of this. Sorry to be a pest, and sorry if this is obviously legal or illegal, I just obviously want to do everything by the book.

Ok so I just re-read the rest of the posts on this thread.

Seems that buying a gun for anyone who doesn't have an FID is illegal no matter what. Was a little hazy on the concept of straw purchases but it's clearer now. Guess I'll have to wait till she gets her FID to buy her a gun.

Ok, so change of plans in what I originally said...

New idea - my 25 year old sister does NOT have an FID, but is going to apply for one any day now. So the idea is to buy a shotgun (I pay for it, not her. It would be a gift), fill out the paperwork in my name, do everything through myself. My money, my ID, my forms, etc. And then, as soon as she gets the FID, I would go to an FFL and transfer the ownership to her.

Just wanna double check the legality of this. Sorry to be a pest, and sorry if this is obviously legal or illegal, I just obviously want to do everything by the book.

If you buy it "for her" it's a straw purchase. If you buy it for yourself for a month, a week, a day, whatever, and then give it to her when she gets her FID because you don't need another shotgun, then you are legal - btw if you are in the same state, you can do a Face to Face transfer, no FFL necessary.

If you buy it "for her" it's a straw purchase. If you buy it for yourself for a month, a week, a day, whatever, and then give it to her when she gets her FID because you don't need another shotgun, then you are legal - btw if you are in the same state, you can do a Face to Face transfer, no FFL necessary.

So that's left open to interpretation? I can buy it for myself even though, honestly, I have no intention of keeping it once she gets her FID?

When you buy a gift for someone it is your gift to them, meaning you have possesion of the gift. It is your gift for your personal use, you can giv it to the intended person, give it to someone else, keep it or even return it at this point. I can buy my wife a gift in August and not give it to her until November, until I give it to her it is my possesion. You can buy the firearm and hold onto it until she has her FPID as you are buying it for yourself to use as a gift. You just cannot gift it to her until she is legal to recieve it.