tony357

vehicle inspection.

My truck has been exempt from inspection and for the past ten years i have had it inspected.. no one at the motor vehicle inspection center ever said a word..

buddy of mine today mentioned it to me and i looked it up..

diesel 10,000 pounds or more = exempt.

http://www.nj.gov/mvc/Inspections/VehiclesExempt.htm

up to 16999 10000 - 17999 gvw is self inspection Tony

I always thought it was commercial plated vehicles only, but the link you provided doesn't state that. The commercial reg renewals always came with a white card that explained all this.

I always thought it was commercial plated vehicles only, but the link you provided doesn't state that. The commercial reg renewals always came with a white card that explained all this.

just opened my renewal and it is in their..

I have one mounted in my truck, what else do you need?

I know federal law requires on commercial vehicles 18k and over: a fire extinguisher, set of triangles and set of fuses. I know there are state regs that require at least some of this on commercial vehicles (don't recall if only vehicles over 10k or all vehicles).

If driving interstate with a commercial vehicle 10k or more you need USDOT numbers and most states also require you to register your company with them and pay additional fees. A log book is required if traveling outside of 100 miles from your business location, which is why commercial vehicles need to have company name, city and state written on the side of the vehicle.

I seem to remember that you are required to keep a log of some sort on your self inspected vehicle. I believe the log must be kept in the vehicle and is subject to examination by a motor vehicle inspector upon request. Failure to do so was a heavy fine. I don't know if this is still the case because I'm remembering this from over 30 years ago.

I seem to remember that you are required to keep a log of some sort on your self inspected vehicle. I believe the log must be kept in the vehicle and is subject to examination by a motor vehicle inspector upon request. Failure to do so was a heavy fine. I don't know if this is still the case because I'm remembering this from over 30 years ago.

Yes, that's still the case for self inspection, although I'm not 100% sure if it's a requirement or just a good practice. I've never been asked for the inspection paperwork, even by the NJSP motorcarrier guys.

Inspections are a joke now. They plug jack your car into their computer to check for ODB trouble codes. Done. Funny how registration costs have gone up, regardless on how much DMV has been able to cut back with the joke inspection and longer list of inspection exemptions.

Though, I am happy on how quick inspections go, how long you have in between them, and how I don't have to take my bike any longer. :)

Yes, that's still the case for self inspection, although I'm not 100% sure if it's a requirement or just a good practice. I've never been asked for the inspection paperwork, even by the NJSP motorcarrier guys.

Yes, but only DOT can ask for it. (NJSP is DOT) Your local LEO is not qualified to interpret it. However, your local LEO can give you a ticket for what they interpret as an "unsafe" vehicle.

Inspections are a joke now. They plug jack your car into their computer to check for ODB trouble codes.

Somewhat. They also check for a certain number of readiness monitors to be complete. This way you can't cheat inspection by just resetting codes then pulling into the garage.

Somewhat. They also check for a certain number of readiness monitors to be complete. This way you can't cheat inspection by just resetting codes then pulling into the garage.

Bingo.

They check for any fault codes present in memory, as well as to make sure the readiness monitors are all set.

Emissions monitoring went onboard back in 1996, invalidating the need to do a sniffer test on the tailpipe of vehicles.

I've got a old 1996 Nissan Pathfinder that is registered as a commercial vehicle. It is due for inspection but the muffler is leaking a little bit. (not bad at all) Will this cause me to fail inspection? (no MIL light on, everything else in good shape)

A friend of mine has a beater minivan that passed with a bad muffler leak. They just plugged it in and the computer said everything was ok.

I'm just wondering if the commercial plates make a difference.

I've got a old 1996 Nissan Pathfinder that is registered as a commercial vehicle. It is due for inspection but the muffler is leaking a little bit. (not bad at all) Will this cause me to fail inspection? (no MIL light on, everything else in good shape)

A friend of mine has a beater minivan that passed with a bad muffler leak. They just plugged it in and the computer said everything was ok.

I'm just wondering if the commercial plates make a difference.

Yes they do, comercial vehicles still have a full inspection and have to go every year..

Yes they do, comercial vehicles still have a full inspection and have to go every year..

That's what I thought. Well, there goes a few hundred bucks that I was going to use to buy a Ruger Mark III.........

Maybe I'll get some of that muffler bandage stuff to see if I can't squeak it by one last time. The thing has 180K on it and I don't know how much longer it'll last although it runs pretty darned good and was maintained fairly well throughout its life.

Thanks for the info!