bry@n

S&W 686 six inch

Because it's the six inch your looking at anywhere from 400-600 dollars depending on the condition and how much you really want it.

If it was the 4 inch model, it'd be worth about 800 IMO.

Now depending on who owns it, just an FYI but I picked my mint 686 up for 325 just to give you a basis.

6 inch is cheaper than 4? heh.

All day long every day, no questions asked.

Bryan I would say if you got that gun for anything less than 500 it's a great deal. Anything over 500 it's meh. But I'm also cheap and I'm always looking for a deal so you need to ask yourself what it's worth to you.

One more thing, just because a gun looks flawless on the outside doesn't mean it's perfect. You really need to get that gun in your hands and at the minimum check the cylinder gap along with lockup / timing.

For information on how to do all of that check out this.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=57816

Matt,

Thanks for the info.

I know the guy pretty well and know it has sat almost all of it's life. He doesn't really shoot and the only reason why he has guns is because they are old/ inherited or they have some sort of value.

All day long every day, no questions asked.

Bryan I would say if you got that gun for anything less than 500 it's a great deal. Anything over 500 it's meh. But I'm also cheap and I'm always looking for a deal so you need to ask yourself what it's worth to you.

One more thing, just because a gun looks flawless on the outside doesn't mean it's perfect. You really need to get that gun in your hands and at the minimum check the cylinder gap along with lockup / timing.

For information on how to do all of that check out this.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=57816

Excellent article. make sure that cylinder locks up nice and tight.

brian there's a nice N frame smith Model 28 with a 4 inch barrel sitting in the used case at shore shot 4 under 500 dollars. it's a steal in my opinion. I would take in n frame over an L frame any day. it's just my personal preference

Bry,

blue book lists 2.5",4",6" & 8 3/8 all same price, $350 in 95% condition (this is only a reference)

Tony............

Wow, I think the book is off in this case. =) I would be 686's for 350 all day long. The street value is probably at least 500 to 750.

Wow, I think the book is off in this case. =) I would be 686's for 350 all day long. The street value is probably at least 500 to 750.

I would agree. I bought a mint pre-lock 686 4" barrel back in 1999 for $450. It might not have been the best price, but I don't think those guns have gone down in price.