NJdiverTony

First ever deer, DOWN! :-)

For all of you who don't know, this year was my first season of hunting deer... both bow and shotgun. I didn't have much luck so far during bow season and was getting pretty frustrated... so I decided to get out today in Zone 12 for some Permit Shotgun action.

I took off of work early, rushed home packed the truck and got out into the woods around 2:45pm. I was up in the tree by 3pm andwithin 5 minutes saw a nice sized doe pretty far out through the trees. I watched it move around for a couple of minutes until it got into a spot where I could see it better. I used my rangefinder and the deer was ranged at 130 yrds... I'm a pretty good and steady shot, so I mulled it around in my head if I should take the shot or wait and see if it would come closer. It took a few steps to spot where its head got behind a tree trunk but I had a nice little window (and I mean LITTLE! LOL!) through the trees where I could see it's torso and no branches or brush in the way. Using the BDC in my scope I took a nice breath, exhaled and held... and slowly pulled back the trigger on my 20G H&R Ultra Slug Hunger. The deer went down right where it stood! Yeeha, my first deer! The adrenaline was through the roof, so had to sit for a few minutes and settle down. About a minute later another even bigger doe walked right over to the one I dropped and just stood there... I could have easily gotten a second deer, but decided to not get greedy and come back for that deer another day!

Got down from my stand, walked out to the deer... perfect shot right behind the shoulder and down into the vitals. Gotta love the accuracy of the Lightfields in an H&R USH! I had a pretty good amount of practice at the range, so I was very confident with taking that 130 yrd shot.

Funny thing is that I thought it was a doe until I dragged it back to my spot and went to gut it... surpise, surprise... I was looking at a set of "frank and beans"! LOL! It turns out it was a button buck. From it's weight after dressing it, I estimated it was about 110 to 120 lbs dressed... nothing huge, but I'll take it.

I'll be out next week for 6 day and also again for permit shotgun season, but still holding out some hope that I'll still get one with my bow during winter bow season! :-) Pics below:

TonyDeer12-1-11.jpg

TonyDeer12-1-11b.jpg

Good Job. I always dreamed of hunting. Was it all you thought it would be.

I really really want to go for Coyote.

I've been hunting small game since I was a kid with my dad, so hunting overall isn't new to me... but hunting deer is. Yeah, it's a great experience... and the best part for me is that I'm making my dad happy, as he loves venison and hasn't had it in years, so now I can fill up his freezer (and mine! LOL). My dad is in his 70's and still loves to hunt, so I took him to get his shotgun license and plan to go out with him next week for a few days of deer hunting. I'm really looking forward to that, since due to everything going on in the last few years (getting married, having kids, work and etc) I haven't gone hunting with him at all. Hopefully him and I can get a deer or two together next week... and that would be priceless memories! :)

AWESOME!!! Great shot as well.

Good for you man. It feels great to throw 80lbs of meat in the freezer? right??

Thanks!

After talking with a few more experienced hunters about the deer, it seems like dressed weight was probably more in the 90 lbs range, and probably about 110 to 120 undressed... but it sure felt much heavier than that. So I doubt I'll get 80 lbs of meat out of it. Maybe 35 to 40 lbs of meat might be a more realistic... Can't wait to get it! I'm having the butcher make some of his famous deer hot dogs that are supposed to be out of this world... and cant wait to try that out.

I was going to say something but didn't want to burst your bubble especially since it was your first. The first one is always the best.

But I would definitely say your dressed out weight was probably even below 90 lbs. But you should get a good 30 lbs of meat out of it.

ahh who cares first one is down now u can focus on the big boy lol u gotta beat mine at 142 dressed out do u accept challenge?

fyeah.jpg?1269221733

I accept that challenge! LOL! Just kidding man... I'm just happy that I got my first... anything after this is just gravy :)

I was going to say something but didn't want to burst your bubble especially since it was your first. The first one is always the best.

But I would definitely say your dressed out weight was probably even below 90 lbs. But you should get a good 30 lbs of meat out of it.

No prob man... Not trying to impress anyone or exagerrate the size of the deer... just made a mistake in guessing the weight. The smaller ones taste better, anyhow... so I'm cool with that.

lol ya congrats man also if you take some of the shoulder or even steaks and slice them real thin and sear them in some worcheister or a1 sauce and put some cheese on it they make the best cheese steaks oh ya and onion MMM... venison

lol ya congrats man also if you take some of the shoulder or even steaks and slice them real thin and sear them in some worcheister or a1 sauce and put some cheese on it they make the best cheese steaks oh ya and onion MMM... venison

Yum, sounds good. I'm having the butcher make some minute steaks for me already... so will definitely try that!

i had some back strap the other night that i put some homemade marinade on for like 10 min and wrapped em in thick bacon and grilled em up left them rare and med/rare they were so yummy