Twospot

Closet Gun Owners

"Why do you need a gun?" This is mostly the attitude in the area where I live in northern NJ. Even family members only grudgingly accept the fact that I am armed. My long term GF refuses to come to the range with me (I'm always a bit jealous when I see guys with their SO's shooting), and only believes that I have maybe a gun or two.

As others have noted, I see no need to have any stickers or other displays to indicate that I am an armed citizen, as they would seem to make me a target for break-ins and for overzealous LEO's.

I don't think having a sticker on the car or not counts for that much either way. Do it or don't, whatever you prefer.

You represent by who you are and what you say and what you do. I have no problem discussing gun ownership with people when the topic comes up. And will bring up the topic myself when in the mood. Reasonable people will listen to reasonable arguments. And the more of us (reasonable people) that represent the sport, the more educated and comfortable the general population will become.

Of course there will always be the unreasonable people. And the unreasonable ones can kiss our collective A$$.

I don't put any of my opinions or affiliations on my car unless required to. You don't need to know me very well to know I'm into guns, but strangers don't need to know jack about me, and my vehicle gets a lot of face time with strangers. Like I siad, this extends well beyond guns.

• Like 1

Depends on the audience. I'll talk about it with those whom I feel would express an interest or have an understanding.

Some people I know are genuinely turned off/scared of guns. I don't want to bring it up around the likes of them because

I don't feel I need to defend myself or be looked at weird because of something I partake in. Sometimes though around

those who are on the fence I do like to talk about it because sometimes after they hear about it through someone they

know they gain a new perspective on it. Some of them want to go the range with me now.

In all honesty, when i started this thread I really thought I would see more opinions leaning towards being out in the open about it. Please do not take that as me saying the members that don't advertise it are closet gun owners, because that is absolutely not what I am saying. However We all want these laws changed so I just figured the majority would be "shouting loud and proud" so to speak. Great discussion though!

It does make me wonder if we should be louder about it. Maybe that would help draw more attention and maybe get more folks involved in the cause.

Eddie,

When I hear the term "closeted" I usually think of someone going out of his way to hide something. I think most of the folks here on this site do not feel they have anything to hide whatsoever. There are definitely those in NJ who buy into the notion that gun ownership is some type of vice and I am sure they go out of their way to keep the activity like a dirty secret.

I participate in NJ2AS and shooting club activities, make a point to introduce my anti-gun friends to shooting, and never avoid expressing my opinion with people when the situation is appropriate. Bumper stickers however, are just not my cup of tea.

I am probably younger than most of you, just an FYI. I am 20.

I don't really hide my gun ownership, I just don't tell people unless they ask. Many people my age are rather blind to gun ownership, either knowing nothing about it or wanting "an M16", "a AK47", or "a Glock", plus the few that talk about their dads/uncles/whoevers guns. FID ownership, IMHO, is very low unless raised in a pro gun house.

Most of my friends assumed I own, since they consider me a "country boy" or whatever. I drive an old F150 and listen to everything (country included) so apparently I am a redneck and own guns. I dont mind.

My coworkers know I own, since I work in a small retail store and they got sent paperwork for my FID. They might pick on me saying "do you believe they let HIM own guns?" but nothing offensive. It doesn't bother me.

As for vehicle, I have an NRA sticker in my glovebox that my neighbor gave me. Too lazy/cold to clean my back window and put it on. I dont belong to the NRA yet (crappy retail job+college), but I will put it on soon. I have a bunch of stickers in my window for Edelbrock and Holley and the like so it wont be that noticeable. The gunrack I am getting soon will be very noticeable though.

I don't "hide my passion," I just don't wear it like a red badge of courage. Why call attention to something? I'm not one seeking the praise of my peers. Besides, I'm realistic, this is New Jersey not Montana. There are no bumper/window stickers on any of the cars in my driveway. The two boys have their colleges denoted by a decal on the back window of their cars, but that's it. Just not into the "sticker" thing.

• Like 1

Twospot, I think you're right (again! Wanna hire me as your "yes man"?) We should be more open about our gun ownership. I'm new to shooting myself (started less than 3 years ago, and I'm 47!) and it took me a while to talk about it. Surprisingly, most people, even those not interested, are at worst neutral to it. Maybe, if we "came out" more as gun owners and showed the people in this state that gun owners are "normal" we can make more inroads. Avoid rhetoric, avoid being confrontational, be polite and don't make it personal. I think we can make a positive change.

Twospot, I think you're right (again! Wanna hire me as your "yes man"?) We should be more open about our gun ownership. I'm new to shooting myself (started less than 3 years ago, and I'm 47!) and it took me a while to talk about it. Surprisingly, most people, even those not interested, are at worst neutral to it. Maybe, if we "came out" more as gun owners and showed the people in this state that gun owners are "normal" we can make more inroads. Avoid rhetoric, avoid being confrontational, be polite and don't make it personal. I think we can make a positive change.

If your open about it fine, but for some (like me) who live in an urban area it's not a smart idea.

Maybe not all people share the same views as the "ultra conservative right wing gun nuts" that they will most likely be labeled as.

Also not everyone is or feels the need to be an NRA member, hence no sticker. I've never encountered a person who was "afraid" to talk about firearms being an interest or hobby.

Being that I am very quick to talk about the wars and veteran's, nearly anyone will start a conversation about my experience in Iraq, which normally leads to the type of weaponry I used. From there I find everyone just assumes I own a gun.

But I don't want to talk about it all the time at work. I wouldn't dream talk as much about guns face to face at work as I much as I read these forums. There are many reasons. These days in New York City even the Fire Department inspectors come around and will talk and teach about "active shooters." How odd is that? The Fire Department uses its time to talk about fire escapes, earth quakes and active shooters. Where the PD is about that is.... nowhere. But I do get the "the only guy I know that owns a gun is ol' Bulpup over there. I'd better pay attention to when he starts showing those warning signs the FD told us about."

Anyway, there is talking with knowledgeable people about it and there is talking about it with those that may judge, have an agenda or are just downright scared. I feel I do not need to force the issue. Random conversations about my firearms are never started by me, but I will never not answer a direct question about them.

I am frequently answering the question "why does any one need so much ammunition?" I feel I changed more than a few minds by telling them it is the same reason people go to costco, its just cheaper. Then I can talk about recreational shooting, a term I learned on this forum.

For me, I am working the the angle of "Yes, I am a gun nut - but that is not the same as a nut with a gun."

I also try my very best not to try to answer questions about guns and violence that I have no business answering. I will talk about me, my guns, my experiences and that of a few others. But "closeted?" I suppose if I were hide the fact that I own guns when asked directly that I would be "closeted," but I will answer anyone that asks the question. In doing so, I have taken a few people to the range. One, a very liberal liberal, got his FPID and is now the proud owner of an M&P - Not that it changed his views on anything else, but it's a start

njgunforums stickers on the mazda.....

OK yeah I need one !....

My .02

I am not low key in the sense that I have no fear of display of 'gunswag' (decals) on my truck....have never had a problem on a stop..even in southern VA on the way to SC....OR

on Long Island Visiting family...or up to VT, or Manhattan.....on the two stops I had I got asked the requisite "are there any weapons in the vehicle that I need to know about...."..but I got that

while driving a non swag vehicle as well...(I tend to have a heavy foot...) and yeah the LEO's have been better than great....warnings and some quick talk about the 'hobby'....

On the other hand my inlaws are semi liberals....my bro in law especially...we got into a 'nice' conversation about firearms ownership a weekend ago at a Christmas party....well a half bottle of rum later

we agreed to disagree.... ;-)

Why hide from what you believe....if you choose to decal out....and most folks are kinda sensible...I don't go around keying cars that have Obama 2012 stickers, or abortion stickers, rainbow coalition or whatever is different that what I might have....or inflammatory...

but hey that is just me....

For me it boils down to INFOSEC, like many of you. I'm not ashamed of my passion for firearms, but I'm specific about who I share the information with.

Also, in my experience, my former unit specifically told us to not display anything that portrayed our affiliation with the military or firearms because there had been a rash of break-ins of homes and personally owned vehicles that targeted military personnel. Of course this was in a different state, different time, different people, but I hold the same beliefs now because I know it's not just a hypothetical, but a reality.

And my last reason why I'm not super-vocal is because I compartmentalize most every aspect of my life. I separate school from work from hobbies, etc-- and on very rare occasions I might overlap, but otherwise it's just how I organize (and insulate) myself.

Any of you posters have a problem with me discussing this subject in detail on a future Gun For Hire Radio show? I may even do it the week we have Mak's on.

Names will be changed to protect the guilty of course.

I'd love to hear more about this on your podcast! Thanks.

Will do. We try to answer as much as possible especially when we get the 2A lawyers on. But this is a very personal topic with most people. We are in such a gun phobic State that it really does impact our daily lives.

For the past two weeks, I have had 2 Double Alpha gun belts and holsters on the back seat from a match... my single stack stuff, and L10.

I think alot of it is also in the area where you live and work.

Home/Office, I would have no issues... if I lived in Elizabeth again, or any urban area, there is no way in hell I would advertise it, and that is only to protect the from the stupid thinking there are guns inside the car.

Like Ben, I tried to compartmentalize things, between, friends, forum friends, family, clients, about who knows what. Right now I am out of the gun closet and pretty much everyone knows I am a gun "advocate". (there is is a Hornady Lock n Load AP in the corner of the office), and tons of shooting stuff on my facebook/twitter)

There was a funny moment at the wedding, trying to not bring up "So how do you know the bride/groom?" portion of the wedding, because some influencial people there on Anastasia's side whom we did not know if they were supportive of it or not. Had to cut Jon off during the speech of how we met. lol.

As it turns out, a few weeks later, we were over to visit them... the people we thought were quite liberal, were AVID gun owners. (Granted they swear by glocks (cant fix everything)).

Well, I will chime in. You can use my name if you wish as I don't really care.

I put stickers on my car, but I choose what goes and what stays. I have put the NRA sticker on my work truck and in a year is looked like crap. I don't put anymore NRA sticker on the cars because they fade and wear away. The one that goes on the inside doesn't get seen because of the tint so I don't bother.

Now, a member was nice enough to make me some Got Sig? Vinyl stickers that I didn't get a chance to put on prior to the cold weather. That I will display and not care about. It's one color and fading won't be an issue.

I don't want my vehicle with 1000 sticker on it, looking like a rolling billboard that I am not compensated for. Just my opinion

I don't have any decals on my car nor do I discuss the subject with others. Besides my wife, there are only two people in NJ that know that I have a gun.

Why?

1. I just don't want to give a LEO any reason to pull me over. I release they're not all that way, but all it takes is the one angry cop to ruin your day.

2. The other reason is my wife. She's anti-gun. She doesn't see the need to own a gun nor the need for home defense. She puts up with me having one in the house (hates it), and even let me take the kids skeet shooting with the Boy Scouts. That's about the limit of her understanding.

3. And were I to put a sticker on my car, I know that I'd get all sorts of looks from teachers, neighbors and town residents. If I can't convince my wife that guns are OK, I won't be able to convince anyone else, so I stay low key.

Any of you posters have a problem with me discussing this subject in detail on a future Gun For Hire Radio show? I may even do it the week we have Mak's on.

Anthony, this would be a great topic for GFH Radio (and how about a segment on how to convince your SO that you're not a whack-job and that gun ownership and home defense planning is a very smart and necessary thing to do. Good luck with this. If you manage to get her on-board, I'll buy you a cigar).

Well, I will chime in. You can use my name if you wish as I don't really care.

I put stickers on my car, but I choose what goes and what stays. I have put the NRA sticker on my work truck and in a year is looked like crap. I don't put anymore NRA sticker on the cars because they fade and wear away. The one that goes on the inside doesn't get seen because of the tint so I don't bother.

Now, a member was nice enough to make me some Got Sig? Vinyl stickers that I didn't get a chance to put on prior to the cold weather. That I will display and not care about. It's one color and fading won't be an issue.

I don't want my vehicle with 1000 sticker on it, looking like a rolling billboard that I am not compensated for. Just my opinion

I was just going to write that the esoteric "Got Sig" sticker is cool.

People with their car covered in stickers are usually way to the left.

I dont advertise on my car with stickers and logos of any kind. I will wear a tshirt or hat promoting a gun brand or company at the range or sometimes out in public casually. I will bring up gun talk at parties and social events but Im not long winded about it. If the other person is anti-gun then I will drop the subject and not pick a debate or fight.