zoid

Sensory Overload... How many guns do you bring with you to the range at one time?

I went to Shoreshot last night and wanted to try out my reloads. Brought my

G26, 92G, and P228 just to make sure they run across the board. They ran

flawlessly so that was great news.

However, I noticed something. In the beginning my groups were pretty good.

Then as I switched back and forth with each pistol my groups go progressively

worse. Especially with the Sig P228. I didn't realize how light of a trigger that

gun had until I shot it back to back with my other pistols. I let off several rounds

pre-maturely.

That got me thinking. Maybe it's better I stick with just a couple pistols when I

go to the range. Or maybe even just one pistol if I'm really trying to get accustomed

to it.

Still in the end it was a lot of fun. Just seeing how many you guys bring at any

one time and if you experienced something similar.

If i am going by myself, usually 1 pistol, if I am bringing a newbie, will bring maybe 3 or 4 at the most. In part driven by the fact that I have this urge to clean it after every range trip. I don't want to clean 5 guns.

Agree with this. I brought three people to the range today, now I will spend most of the night cleaning my guns... But it's great to see the smiles when they pull the trigger.

Depends who is with me (if anyone) and if I am indoors or outdoors. I don't like spending more than 1/2 hour cleaning afterwards so I try to limit the trips to to handguns (gotta keep my stainless S&W's beautiful), and I don't clean my AK much, just trying to prove to myself that it was designed to run dirty.

I have brought up to 6 handguns and 4 rifles to the outdoor range, what a cleaning session afterwards!

Depends on my mood and the amount of time I have. Sometimes I just want to work on light rifle qualification so I bring two 22's. If I want to work on high power qualification I bring the AR that is specifically set up for that. IDPA practice usually means I bring 3 of my handguns. If I just want to blow off steam I'll bring whatever my little heart desires. Not too long ago I was being indecisive so I brought a dozen guns.

I only own 3 guns but when I get to the range I take 2, either my SIG double action and the .357 revolver or recently my new CZ and the SIG. usually put 100/150 rounds through each and switch every change of target so the transition between the types of triggers is smoother ,at least to me.

If i am going by myself, usually 1 pistol, if I am bringing a newbie, will bring maybe 3 or 4 at the most. In part driven by the fact that I have this urge to clean it after every range trip. I don't want to clean 5 guns.

Oh god this. Sometimes I wonder if I have OCD.

80% of the time, I'm heading to the range with my primary shooting buddy and we each have 1-2 firearms we're looking to practice some relatively specific things with. Practicing a F.A.S.T. drill with our primary handgun, test how our newest rifle reload groups, hit some clays, etc.

The remaining 20% of the time, we're in a group of more like 5-7 with everyone bringing every single gun they own. I get very little 'productive' practice on days like this and I would be a really poor shooter if all of my range trips were like this, but they're the range days I look forward to most.

I took my 9mm PPQ and my .45 1911 to the range yesterday... My bag was bl**dy heavy with the ammunition in it however I did have around 500 rounds in the bag.

Once my Sig is back from GrayGuns then for a general range visit I expect I'd take:

PPQ - 9mm

P226 - 9mm

1911 - .45

P226 conversion kit - .22LR

that means carrying 3 different types of ammo and the weight involved. Maybe I should get one of those bags on wheels or just take less ammunition :-)

For range visits to focus on defensive shooting, carried shooting, competitive shooting then I'd take the specific firearm in question rather than all of them.

TheWombat

Well I think a lot comes to experience and learning your gun. Once you learn your gun then branch out and bring some more. My custom blueprinted .308 for example likes to be a little warm. When I go shoot, I know the first couple of rounds arent going to be my tightest groups. After it warms up then the groups shrink considerably. My Garand that I shoot almost every day likes to be a little dirty. So first few shots are "fouling shots" then the groups shrink. If you bring many guns and just keep rotating them out durng a range session you may not notice an individual guns quirks. I know the quirks for almost all of my guns so I am comfortable bringing quite a few to the range. I understand what they like and dont like. If I just rotated them out I may not have discovered them.