Duppie

Gently used Law Enforcment trade in's.

I have a couple more PPPs to burn and was toying with the idea of obtaining an older S&W revolver. In the process of looking it occurred to me that there are quite a few gently used,barely fired LEO trade in's available that encompass every thing from old S&W revolvers to modern Glocks and just about everything in between.

My question is how often does an average department revamp their armaments and if most of the guns are gently used or 98% then why do so at all. Revolvers I understand especially in the age of semi automatics but Glocks,Sigs and HKs?

Call lawmens, that's where a lot of departments buy from and trade in there old guns

#1. Lawman's Supply doesn't sell to the general public #2 IIRC By state law Any firearms traded in from NJ departments cannot be sold to the General Public I Belive they have to go overseas.

Kpd...#1. Lawman's Supply doesn't sell to the general public.. not true at all. I have purchased three guns now from LS in Egg Harbor City. Might be different in your locale. I have seen many NJSP guns for sale out of state... used to be many Beretta's, HK P7 and some HKs for sale in Ga.

I am a big fan of used LEO handguns, they get carried all the time, but many times fired VERY little. If you get handle it before purchase and inspect you can prob get a real good model and for cheap. I have bought p226, Beretta 92s, Glock 23, S&w 6 series and 5 series before.

Where did the NJ LEO trade-ins must go overseas come from? I'd like to see that "law" considering I own 3 NJSP pistols with the last acquired this past summer. OP, go for a well-priced LEO trade-in! They can be rough on finish at times, but regularly mechanically sound. Sometimes you get some very unusual variants that were special orders for the particular department or agency too. I've got several Smiths that fall into that category thanks to Conrail police and the Treasury Dept. for instance. Also, I've got several Smith 27s and some really nice Ruger Security and Service Six revolvers that make for perfect shooters!

Kpd...#1. Lawman's Supply doesn't sell to the general public.. not true at all. I have purchased three guns now from LS in Egg Harbor City. Might be different in your locale. I have seen many NJSP guns for sale out of state... used to be many Beretta's, HK P7 and some HKs for sale in Ga.

I am a big fan of used LEO handguns, they get carried all the time, but many times fired VERY little. If you get handle it before purchase and inspect you can prob get a real good model and for cheap. I have bought p226, Beretta 92s, Glock 23, S&w 6 series and 5 series before.

Ok..Lawmen's policy used to be sales to Agencies and LE only..im glad to see them change that it caused a lot of hard feelings amongst people that tried to buy from them..especially when they opened the site in Patterson a while back. As for the Overseas sales, Again, that was what we were told when we traded in our revolvers, then our Gen-1 Glocks to Gen 3 glocks. All i know is that was what we were told when we asked about buying the Turn-ins. With the Revolvers, we had a very short window because they were being exported immediately, and we werent given the chance to buy the Glocks at all. For all i know that may have jsut been a condition of our County prosecutor. Again..I'm glad i;m wrong on it.

Maybe they were being returned to glock.... Refinished and inspect then resold to agencies or civilians through authorized dealera as factory refurbished, its a long shot a rwal long shot but who knows lol. my agency us getting rid of there sigs and switching to glock 21sf and we were told when they do they will be at lawmans and we should be able to purchase them, I already got a glock but I would love to get a Sig for the right price

CDNN always has S&W 4506 trade-in's that are usually around $250-300. I know you said revolver but just giving you another option.

Yes. I did see them and had the opportunity to fire my friends .40. very well made and balanced but just didn't sit right in my hands.I'm rather stuck on a revolver instead but the 4506 are excellent deals plus CDNN is where I purchased my Sig mags and their shipping prices are among the cheapest around.

Maybe they were being returned to glock.... Refinished and inspect then resold to agencies or civilians through authorized dealera as factory refurbished, its a long shot a rwal long shot but who knows lol. my agency us getting rid of there sigs and switching to glock 21sf and we were told when they do they will be at lawmans and we should be able to purchase them, I already got a glock but I would love to get a Sig for the right price

Now you've broached my question, How often does a department swap out their guns and why? Is it a scenario where an upgrade is warranted even if the upgrade is rather esthetic in nature? ie:gen 3 Glock for Gen2. Or is it a case where existing firearms become old to the point of possible liability to LEOs.

Several months back AIM had S&W model 10s , 15s and i think 16s for dirt cheap, they were $200-$300 in nice condition, some were stainless too.

Interestingly enough, they were trade-ins from europe. The only LE in the US still using revolvers I believe is the smithsonian museum police.

I picked up a S&W 67 from J&G a few years ago. The stainless finish was worn but so what, it's stainless! Came with 4" barrel and Hogue finger grip & adjustable rear sight. It was from one of the California PD's and came with a DA only hammer. I paid $220 or thereabouts. I found a DA/SA replacement hammer and dropped it in. Great value for the money. Looks similar to this except front sight is silver and not replaceable.

26320.jpg

Now you've broached my question, How often does a department swap out their guns and why? Is it a scenario where an upgrade is warranted even if the upgrade is rather esthetic in nature? ie:gen 3 Glock for Gen2. Or is it a case where existing firearms become old to the point of possible liability to LEOs.

Even though there may not be an actual mechanical issue, because of liability concerns they're usually rotated out between 5 and ten years.

Even though there may not be an actual mechanical issue, because of liability concerns they're usually rotated out between 5 and ten years.

Thank you,that would indeed explain the amount of ex LEO firearms on the market. But if the firearms are deemed unreliable for the law enforcement sector,by selling them to the public sector, isn't that somewhat of a double standard?

Please don't misunderstand,I would snap the right one up in a heartbeat but it just seems strange to me.

I purchased my first handgun from lawmens..a glock.. they charged me a LOT less than I thought I was going to pay.. AND it came with 3 mags instead of two.. not sure why that happened.. but I was very happy with the transaction.. went back there with about $2k cash in pocket to buy a 308 AR.. they could not be bothered to wait on me.. order one.. nothing.. I could have had the conversation with the homeless guy living in the alley and left with the same results... went with my brother who is LEO to pick something up.. and for some reason.. their attitude was entirely different.. since then I have used them here and there to pick up a box of ammo on the fly.. but the horrible lack of interest I was met with when looking for the rifle has scratched them off the list for any substantial purchases..

Duppie....

You have hit on the gun manufacturers business model, offer to sell new guns to departments at a substantial discount every few years to insure new models get bought. They then take the departments trade ins and sell them off to distributors whom then sell them out in bulk to dealers or singles to individuals. It works just like the car business now. The manufacturers spend alot of effort and money on LEO contracts, often workin in extra features to be more attractive to the purchasing agency. And the more militant the department, the more contact they have with the manufacturers. Please see the rise of S&W over the last 5 years with their M&P handguns and longuns as a perfect example.

And no those trade ins are not defective or abused (like a car) but usually... 90% in better internal condition then a similar firearm from an actuall shooter. I would by a LEO trade any day over and above the extact same model gun from a gun game guy.

Forgot about these folks. Robertson Trading Post sells on Guns America. They usually have a selection of trade ins like this nice looking S&W 64 for only $269 and $10 ship. I've bought two handguns from these people and they are a great dealer. The descriptions are extensive and plenty of the pictures.

Sweet link!

Thank you,that would indeed explain the amount of ex LEO firearms on the market. But if the firearms are deemed unreliable for the law enforcement sector,by selling them to the public sector, isn't that somewhat of a double standard?

Please don't misunderstand,I would snap the right one up in a heartbeat but it just seems strange to me.

it isnt that they were "Deemed" unrealiable..it HAS been a factor in lawsuits during LOD incidents. Much like the Retail prohibition of Employees being armed because of the FEAR of a lawsuit if he/she defends himself against an assailant. Some folks just (not speaking of YOU, just in general) don't seem to understand how much Liability concerns drive almost every single Issue today. Doesnt matter if it's Police, Fire, Public Works, or in the Private Sector.....it's the Attorneys who write the policies, not the people who have to live with them.

it isnt that they were "Deemed" unrealiable..it HAS been a factor in lawsuits during LOD incidents. Much like the Retail prohibition of Employees being armed because of the FEAR of a lawsuit if he/she defends himself against an assailant. Some folks just (not speaking of YOU, just in general) don't seem to understand how much Liability concerns drive almost every single Issue today. Doesnt matter if it's Police, Fire, Public Works, or in the Private Sector.....it's the Attorneys who write the policies, not the people who have to live with them.

Oh I do understand all too clearly...That is why on average there are 1k lawyers that pass the bar for every doctor that gets his or her license. hardly great odds.

I purchased my first handgun from lawmens..a glock.. they charged me a LOT less than I thought I was going to pay.. AND it came with 3 mags instead of two.. not sure why that happened.. but I was very happy with the transaction.. went back there with about $2k cash in pocket to buy a 308 AR.. they could not be bothered to wait on me.. order one.. nothing.. I could have had the conversation with the homeless guy living in the alley and left with the same results... went with my brother who is LEO to pick something up.. and for some reason.. their attitude was entirely different.. since then I have used them here and there to pick up a box of ammo on the fly.. but the horrible lack of interest I was met with when looking for the rifle has scratched them off the list for any substantial purchases..

That's the general issue with them until the guy saw my badge he wasnt interested, then all of a sudden i was the only person he cares about he even helped me find a off duty holster and let me try them out. Couldn't beat the prive though 399 for my glock.