DblEGT

New .40 cal ..... which one to buy?

Looking to add to my collection with possibly a new .40 cal. Already have a Beretta 92A1 (9mm...LOVE IT!!), and would like to compliment it with another, different gun. Would like to keep in the $400 - $600 range, and am thinking of the following:

- SA XD or XDm

- SW M&P

- CZ

- Beretta PX Storm

- revolver (.38/.357) ?

At this point, I'm open to any and all suggestions. Let me know your thoughts.

thanks,

Dbl E GT

Have you held or shot any of your choices? I would start with that, then go from there.

You can get 400 people saying this gun or that gun, but in the end, it's the gun that you feel most comfortable with and you enjoy shooting the most

Yes, the only one I've shot is the XD, which I kind of liked. I do agree with you that 400 people might give me 400 opinions, although I still believe its helpful to hear everybody's opinion so that I can better narrow down my choice. This is the same process I used before I eventually went with the Beretta. I like to listen to the people on this forum who undoubtedly have more experience than I do.

I have a M&P .40 and am very happy with it.

Test fired a few others before deciding on this.

Why not stick w/ 9mm tho?

I was looking for adding a new shooting experience with the different caliber, since I already have the 9mm. So your advice would be to stick with the same? I know that would certainly make bringing/stocking the ammo much easier.

I will look at the M&P .40

thanks,

Dbl E GT

I'de stick with what you have. Theres really no gain with getting a .40 unless you want to shoot USPSA and you reload. 9mm is a better round. Its cheaper, you get more rounds, less snappy, performs just fine. If you want more power then 9mm get .45

I'de stick with what you have. Theres really no gain with getting a .40 unless you want to shoot USPSA and you reload. 9mm is a better round. Its cheaper, you get more rounds, less snappy, performs just fine. If you want more power then 9mm get .45

+1

I totally agree with Glenn on this... Skip the .40 and go right to a .45! The .45 is much more of a pleasure to shoot and not snappy like the .40. I just plain dislike the .40 round... it is not fun to shoot, for me. Have you tried shooting a 1911 in .45??? I guarantee you'll love it. Or if you want to stick with a more modern pistol design, there are lots of other pistols chambered in .45 that you can try out. M&P, XD, XDm, etc, etc, etc...

There's nothing wrong with sticking with the 9mm for a second pistol, as well... If I were to buy another 9mm pistol right now, I'd be looking at either the CZ 75B, M&P 9mm or a Sig P226. All very nice pistols!

You also can't go wrong with a nice revolver, if you're into wheel guns. If you're looking for a "new" experience in handgun shooting, that will be different from your Beretta, then this is also a good way to go.

I was looking for adding a new shooting experience with the different caliber, since I already have the 9mm. So your advice would be to stick with the same? I know that would certainly make bringing/stocking the ammo much easier.

thanks,

Dbl E GT

Like others have said, i would just stick with the 9. I went .40 and it was my 1st purchase, if i could go back i would def have just went with a 9mm. Just makes it that much easier to stock ammo. You dont have to buy a case of each ;)

You COULD always get the M&P .40 and just get the 9mm conversion barrel and 9mm mags and have a 9 & .40 M&P. (not to mention you can also get the .357 sig barrel for the M&P and have 3 guns in one, the .40 and 357 mags are the same...)

I absolutely love my M&P!

The .40 is a bit snappy and a lot of ppl dont like it since the felt recoil is more than the .45 a lot of times, but I dont mind it at all, its a great gun!

There are very few ppl that like .40 for some reason. I happened to love it. And all of my handguns except for one (9mm, G19) are in .40 S&W .

I'm bias towards the Sigs since they are the only once I buy ... for now :) . If u never fired this round, u def should try it out 1st. Go through couple of hundred rounds and then make a decision.

thanks,

Dbl E GT

M&P is a great gun and you can buy a 357 Sig barrel and have a two gun cal. experience. Make sure it fits your hand right and you like the trigger squeeze.

Scig

+1

I totally agree with Glenn on this... Skip the .40 and go right to a .45! The .45 is much more of a pleasure to shoot and not snappy like the .40. I just plain dislike the .40 round... it is not fun to shoot, for me. Have you tried shooting a 1911 in .45??? I guarantee you'll love it. Or if you want to stick with a more modern pistol design, there are lots of other pistols chambered in .45 that you can try out. M&P, XD, XDm, etc, etc, etc...

There's nothing wrong with sticking with the 9mm for a second pistol, as well... If I were to buy another 9mm pistol right now, I'd be looking at either the CZ 75B, M&P 9mm or a Sig P226. All very nice pistols!

You also can't go wrong with a nice revolver, if you're into wheel guns. If you're looking for a "new" experience in handgun shooting, that will be different from your Beretta, then this is also a good way to go.

Nicely said...Thanks Tony !!

Regardless, M&P, XD, Glock <shudder>, to each his own. See how it fits your hand and how you shoot it before you buy it if you can. Some people like one and can't stand the other. Also, there are a myriad of aftermarket goodies for any of the three platforms that can make each of those stock guns into nicely tuned, smooth triggered, beautifully shooting machines. IMO they will never be "pretty" guns like a 1911, or a Browning Hi Power or a Revolver but they're dependable accurate pieces of polymer goodness.

XD is a great gun and you can buy a 357 Sig barrel and a 9mm barrel on top of the 40 and have a three gun cal. experience. Make sure it fits your hand right and you like the trigger.

I have a new XD(m) 40 3.8" - where can you buy the switch out barrels? Thanks.

I started with 40 and don't see the big deal. The 40 round is a little snappier but nothing crazy. It depends on teh gun your shooting really. Also, when Obummer got in office, 40 was easiert to get over 9mm. Just sayin

I have a new XD(m) 40 3.8" - where can you buy the switch out barrels? Thanks.

For XD owners I recommend XDtalk.com as a resource for all things XD.

Barrels

http://www.barsto.com/

http://www.efkfiredragon.com/springfield-xdsub-xds-xdt-xdm1.html

http://www.storm-lake.com/

I have the S&W M&P 40. It was my first handgun, and I have shot quite a few others in the same caliber. For me, this was the most comfortable gun. I like the grips and the overall feel of this weapon. I am now consdiering a compact version of it for my next gun. I have to agree with the others on trying a few out for yourself though. Everyone is built differently and what may fit me, may not fit you.

I started with 40 and don't see the big deal. The 40 round is a little snappier but nothing crazy. It depends on teh gun your shooting really. Also, when Obummer got in office, 40 was easiert to get over 9mm. Just sayin

As we all know, 9mm is cheaper, .40 S&W a little snappier, but if you reload it's not an issue, .45APC more expensive but not too bad if you reload and shoots well. I just say roll your own and get one of each... :icon_mrgreen:

Regardless, M&P, XD, Glock <shudder>, to each his own. See how it fits your hand and how you shoot it before you buy it if you can. Some people like one and can't stand the other. Also, there are a myriad of aftermarket goodies for any of the three platforms that can make each of those stock guns into nicely tuned, smooth triggered, beautifully shooting machines. IMO they will never be "pretty" guns like a 1911, or a Browning Hi Power or a Revolver but they're dependable accurate pieces of polymer goodness.

You can always get a BHP in .40