TheWombat

My Experimental Home Range

I have a glock 19 airsoft and a real one, the airsoft is left over from my early teens so it was kind of cool getting the real one and comparing side by side.

I used to shoot them in my basement about 9 years ago. I still find the BBs EVERYWHERE.

Guns016.jpg

Oh man that is AWESOME! My wife would take the gun and shoot me if I set the whole house up like that.

I want to set up something like that in the basement though. Not as much room as you have but better than

nothing.

How do you feel the airsoft training translates to the real matches? I want to start using it as well.

I propose we move the next OBRPC match to your house instead. LOL!

• Like 1

How do you feel the airsoft training translates to the real matches? I want to start using it as well.

If you use the same equipment/setup it definitely helps. I used my USPSA Rig at a charity game/competition on Monday (Where I won that CZ75D).

We made a few changes to the range today, we're now on our Mark 3 version of target.

Mark 1

Original version was just the Wardrobe box has the targets just stapled onto the cardboard front. Pretty simple!

Target-Mark1.jpg

The interior just has bubble wrap hanging from the bar in case the BBs penetrate:

Target-Mark1interior-1.jpg

However in use the BB's are either bouncing of the cardboard or getting embedded in it. Useful initially however will mean a short life for the wardrobe box:

Target-Mark1BBembedded.jpg

Mark 2

The front of the wardrobe box is removed to provide better capture of the BBs

Target-Mark2-1.jpg

This however causes complications on how to attach the target

Target-Mark2paper-1.jpg

More to follow...

TheWombat

Mark 3

The Mark 3 has a revised interior aimed to reduce bouncing and also to allow more variety in the targets that can be used. The bubblewrap is attached to the interior walls.

Target-Mark3backing-1.jpg

A netting is attached to the bar, and 8 holes have been drilled into the bar

Target-Mark3backstop-1.jpg

Hanging targets can now be used:

Targets2.jpg

Targets4.jpg

In addition there is a platform for placing freestanding targets. The freestanding targets cost 25 cents each at a local craft store and are made from balsa wood

Targets1.jpg

Although we need some festive scenery

Targets3.jpg

The final result

Range.jpg

Enjoy!

TheWombat

And, to finish the day a possibly amusing video...

(video now removed)

If nothing else, having the home range adds a bit of fun to the end of the day. I still need a bit more work on the target holders as too many BBs are still bouncing around.

:-)

TheWombat

Have to say it again. very nice. Keep us updated on how you do with capturing more of the BB's

I think we've just solved it from some initial tests. Will see how it goes tomorrow before posting our solution.

TheWombat

Oh man that is AWESOME! My wife would take the gun and shoot me if I set the whole house up like that.

I want to set up something like that in the basement though. Not as much room as you have but better than

nothing.

I propose we move the next OBRPC match to your house instead. LOL!

Early days for me however it looks like it will be good practice for:

• holster draw to first shot
  • reloading magazines (using same rig and firearm as I will use in real competitions)
  • point shooting
  • stance
  • getting used to the buzzer and time requirements

I am typically loading the same number of BBs as I would live ammunition. The recoil is obviously not realistic, however overall I think the airsoft practicing is a benefit rather than a hindrance. It also adds some variety to just dry firing. I can easily set up the house to have 'intruders' in different rooms on different floors, and it is just fun.

MrsWombat is enjoying it, and that is a good enough reason for me! It also saves me close to 2 hours of commute, so I'm able to practice more often.

TheWombat

Contest between Mr & Mrs Wombat. MrsWombat won naturally. The lighting is terrible in the video due to it being very late in the afternoon. This was a practice run to see what changes we need to make to the range. Nonetheless it sort of works, it is fun, and proves MrsWombat is the better shooter :maninlove:

The horizontal ledges are just cardboard as a temporary measure. I'll make something stronger and more resilient this weekend to reduce the items being knocked off without proper hits.

(video now removed)

That's probably the last of the videos for now. Hopefully it demonstrates a home range is possible whether for fun or for IPSC practice. It's cheap and easy enough to set up in the garage, basement or elsewhere assuming you have permission :-)

TheWombat

ok, final post for this topic with my verdict, learning points, what I'd do different and the answers to any previous questions.

Preventing the BB's from escaping

If just shooting paper targets then:

• cut open the front of the box
  • have bubble wrap or something light hanging in the interior to slow down the BBs
  • cover the front hole you've cut out with paper (as my boxes are large I am just using some old flip chart paper I have lying around). This is important as it stops the BB's bouncing back out.
  • tape the paper target onto the paper

I've just shot 140 BBs with 100% BB retention in the box - achieves the wife's approval!

If shooting metal, plastic, wooden targets then:

• Cut open front of box
  • have something light hanging near the rear of the box e.g. net style curtains that go on windows.. these are ~$5 at Walmart
  • place the targets near the back of the box. If the targets are free standing then create a narrow cross beam ledge for them to rest on

The above results in about 80-90% BB retention. There is still the occasional BB ricochet from a target. The ricochet's won't damage anything, however you'll end up with a few BB's on the floor to vacuum or pick up. Still some experimenting to do on this one to increase the BB retention before it achieve's the wife's approval.

Other considerations:

• A number of stores sell specific airsoft plastic targets that have a 'tacky/sticky' coating on the front. In the interest of experimenting I bought one of these ($10) and these work 100% at stopping the BBs from ricocheting. I've yet to investigate what the target is coated in, however if the wooden target animals had this applied then it would solve the occasional ricochet issue.
  • If you make your animal (or other) targets out of cardboard e.g. from the cardboard you removed from the front of the box then these would catch the BBs and virtually eliminate any ricochet. This is probably the cheapest and best solution!

Size of target box

I am using large u-Haul wardrobe boxes (24"x21"x48) and these are a perfect size for the large targets such as the GunForHire targets you've seen in the photos or trying the fun animal target shooting. You could also put these boxes on their side if you want to shoot more wooden animal targets. The boxes can be carried around, e.g. to another room/garage when not in use, although they are a little bulky.

If you're purely looking to practice IPSC etc then you can use a much smaller box. I've printed out 1/3rd size IPSC targets (on letter sized paper). I am shooting these at ~22 feet distance and 100% of my shots have been on the paper. i.e. I could use a much much smaller target box. For those of you with partners/spouses/etc that may be less than happy with the u-Haul wardrobe boxes then this could be the ideal solution! Also, you could more easily move these boxes around, place them on top of book cases etc and have a real nice setup where you have targets in every room of the house and need to do a house clear scenario :-) Imagine a set up where it takes you 5 minutes to place 30 little boxes dotted around the house and then you can have fun doing timed runs, after which it is only 5 minutes to clear up and make tidy again :-)

Does it help?

I am using my competition rig (i.e. similar firearm, same holster/magazine carrier, wearing my shooting glasses, hat and headset. After only a couple of days I am already finding that I am getting quicker at acquiring the front sight, that my shots are becoming more consistent, that I am having to pay less attention to my holster draw etc. I also have my CED7000 timer which gives me my starting beep and tracks my shots. I am also able to practice magazine changes etc. So yes it is helping me since I am a beginner. It won't make me a grand master, the recoil is obviously nowhere near as significant although there is some, however it does achieve my goals of:

• practicing and improving at home without the need for a 45 minute car ride to the range
  • ability to video myself and then playback, analyse and learn. e.g. stance, drawing from holster and first shot, etc
  • cheap and easy.. I can shoot thousands of 'shots' for minimal cost. I can re-use the BBs. I am switching to using propane gas with a little silicon oil which is cheap
  • MrsWombat can practice and have fun as well

If I wanted to make it a little more realistic then I would change the sights on the airsoft gun to match those I use on my real Sig P226, however that's for another time.

What would I do different?

• I'd probably do a little more research on the actual Airsoft guns to purchase. I'd either buy KWA rather than KJW, or I would buy TM and at some point replace the frame/slide with metal upgrades
  • I'd buy the propane adapter and silicone oil straight away, as it saves significant cost compared to buying Green Gas
  • I'd use smaller target boxes.. Probably something just a little larger than the Letter/A4 paper size since I am predominantly shooting IPSC targets. I'd still have some of the larger boxes most likely to add variety in available targets.
  • I would have done this months ago :-) It is great fun! Also a good way to introduce partners/kids/friends into shooting

I had originally planned to set up the range in our garage, however since MrsWombat doesn't mind us using the lounge/living room it has worked out even better.

Unless anyone has any further questions I'll leave it at that.

Thanks and hope this experiment has been useful

TheWombat

• Like 1